My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

> Some coverage in German:
>
> https://www.heise.de/news/OpenOffice-feiert-Geburtstag-LibreOf
> fice-meint-Juchhei-wir-wollen-euren-Namen-4929239.html

and also:
https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2020/10/12/open-letter-to-apache-openoffice/


Let's make one thing very clear:
this is the same spirit, these are the same people who hounded against Apache OPenOffice from the beginning, and verbally attacked and insulted members of our community (I only mention the attacks against Rob).
It's the same style that was used to falsely pretend for months that a foundation already existed, even though it did not.
These are people who led the LO community into the same dependency on the commitment of companies they pretended to overcome when the companies were called SUN and Oracle.


FOSS also thrives on diversity, and regularly thrives on the coexistence of different alternatives for solving the same problem, be it Linux distributions, browsers, editors or even office packages. One may find this relative 'redundancy' good or bad, but it is not really bad and it is ultimately an expression of the fact that FOSS projects are made by humans.
Those who, in the style of the TDF, criticize this diversity one-sidedly at OO/LO, do not really want to unite, they want to play out their own power, they only want to grow themselves.


Let us defend our autonomy and our independence as AOO and be proud that we have made OpenOffice great through honest performance and have not tried to distinguish ourselves through PR and manipulation of public opinion.

Let us be aware in difficult times that we are part of a large community (the ASF), that we are OpenOffice (and not TDF/LO), that it was once MS Office that taught fear and that with persistence even difficult times can be overcome.


greetings,
Jörg


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Carl Marcum


On 10/16/20 3:44 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Some coverage in German:
>>
>> https://www.heise.de/news/OpenOffice-feiert-Geburtstag-LibreOf
>> fice-meint-Juchhei-wir-wollen-euren-Namen-4929239.html
> and also:
> https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2020/10/12/open-letter-to-apache-openoffice/
>
>
> Let's make one thing very clear:
> this is the same spirit, these are the same people who hounded against Apache OPenOffice from the beginning, and verbally attacked and insulted members of our community (I only mention the attacks against Rob).
> It's the same style that was used to falsely pretend for months that a foundation already existed, even though it did not.
> These are people who led the LO community into the same dependency on the commitment of companies they pretended to overcome when the companies were called SUN and Oracle.
>
>
> FOSS also thrives on diversity, and regularly thrives on the coexistence of different alternatives for solving the same problem, be it Linux distributions, browsers, editors or even office packages. One may find this relative 'redundancy' good or bad, but it is not really bad and it is ultimately an expression of the fact that FOSS projects are made by humans.
> Those who, in the style of the TDF, criticize this diversity one-sidedly at OO/LO, do not really want to unite, they want to play out their own power, they only want to grow themselves.
>
>
> Let us defend our autonomy and our independence as AOO and be proud that we have made OpenOffice great through honest performance and have not tried to distinguish ourselves through PR and manipulation of public opinion.

Yes, We can't control what others do or say but we can keep doing what
we've been doing and get this next release done and keep working on the
next.

> Let us be aware in difficult times that we are part of a large community (the ASF), that we are OpenOffice (and not TDF/LO), that it was once MS Office that taught fear and that with persistence even difficult times can be overcome.
>
>
> greetings,
> Jörg
>

Our project is a community of people working together making software,
documentation, helping users etc. for the public good.
If others use our contributions and don't give back. That's okay. That's
on them.
That's part of what makes us Apache.

Best regards,
Carl


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Jim Jagielski


> On Oct 16, 2020, at 7:40 AM, Carl Marcum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If others use our contributions and don't give back. That's okay. That's on them.
> That's part of what makes us Apache.

This is somewhat off-topic but I find it interesting...

As we know, Amazon has a bad rep in some areas of the open source community, specifically for using Open Source programs, esp those under Permissive licenses, and "not giving their improvements back to the community". Lots of people are up in arms about that and complain that Amazon is a free-loader, acting in bad faith, abusing open source, etc etc.

The interesting part is that so many of those who complain about Amazon doing so go out of their way to support LO's freedom to do the exact same thing. It kind of shows just how self serving their moral outrage is...

I'm not saying LO must allow us to use contributions; I'm not saying that they are freeloaders; all I am saying is that if they were serious about "working together" that would be an easy way to prove it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
In reply to this post by Carl Marcum
Hello,


> Our project is a community of people working together making software,
> documentation, helping users etc. for the public good.
> If others use our contributions and don't give back. That's okay. That's
> on them.
> That's part of what makes us Apache.
>
> Best regards,
> Carl

That is correct with regard to law, but for some people not with regard
to morals.

And to the last sentence I have a comment:

I am (and maybe some others are) supporting Apache OpenOffice not
because but in spite of the copyleftless licence.

Kind regards and excuse my poor english
Michael


signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

marcia wilbur
Hello.

One thing I do acknowledge here is the support and maintenance of the software as a vital part of the community.
While my own development (respin) doesn't have a lot of new features, a competitor had blasted me with - what have you done.

How we serve community cannot be measured in just new features or updates.
We offer support, guidance, and in some cases, hope.

I remember when OO was abandoned and Apache took it on.
This recent PR strategy by the Document Foundation was extremely disappointing.

I appreciate the AOO community and am here to support this effort.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:12:21 AM
Subject: Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Hello,


> Our project is a community of people working together making software,
> documentation, helping users etc. for the public good.
> If others use our contributions and don't give back. That's okay. That's
> on them.
> That's part of what makes us Apache.
>
> Best regards,
> Carl

That is correct with regard to law, but for some people not with regard
to morals.

And to the last sentence I have a comment:

I am (and maybe some others are) supporting Apache OpenOffice not
because but in spite of the copyleftless licence.

Kind regards and excuse my poor english
Michael

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcia,

Thank you for the warm words!

We are all doing our best. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 16.10.20 um 18:10 schrieb marcia wilbur:

> Hello.
>
> One thing I do acknowledge here is the support and maintenance of the software as a vital part of the community.
> While my own development (respin) doesn't have a lot of new features, a competitor had blasted me with - what have you done.
>
> How we serve community cannot be measured in just new features or updates.
> We offer support, guidance, and in some cases, hope.
>
> I remember when OO was abandoned and Apache took it on.
> This recent PR strategy by the Document Foundation was extremely disappointing.
>
> I appreciate the AOO community and am here to support this effort.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:12:21 AM
> Subject: Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)
>
> Hello,
>
>
>> Our project is a community of people working together making software,
>> documentation, helping users etc. for the public good.
>> If others use our contributions and don't give back. That's okay. That's
>> on them.
>> That's part of what makes us Apache.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Carl
> That is correct with regard to law, but for some people not with regard
> to morals.
>
> And to the last sentence I have a comment:
>
> I am (and maybe some others are) supporting Apache OpenOffice not
> because but in spite of the copyleftless licence.
>
> Kind regards and excuse my poor english
> Michael
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

marcia wilbur
Thanks, Matthias.
I very much enjoyed the interaction in BBB and what a great group!

Looking forward to learning more - Great info about the accessibility related to icons!
And all the links.



----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Seidel" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 12:43:31 AM
Subject: Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)

Hi Marcia,

Thank you for the warm words!

We are all doing our best. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 16.10.20 um 18:10 schrieb marcia wilbur:

> Hello.
>
> One thing I do acknowledge here is the support and maintenance of the software as a vital part of the community.
> While my own development (respin) doesn't have a lot of new features, a competitor had blasted me with - what have you done.
>
> How we serve community cannot be measured in just new features or updates.
> We offer support, guidance, and in some cases, hope.
>
> I remember when OO was abandoned and Apache took it on.
> This recent PR strategy by the Document Foundation was extremely disappointing.
>
> I appreciate the AOO community and am here to support this effort.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:12:21 AM
> Subject: Re: My opinion (was: Happy birthday OpenOffice)
>
> Hello,
>
>
>> Our project is a community of people working together making software,
>> documentation, helping users etc. for the public good.
>> If others use our contributions and don't give back. That's okay. That's
>> on them.
>> That's part of what makes us Apache.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Carl
> That is correct with regard to law, but for some people not with regard
> to morals.
>
> And to the last sentence I have a comment:
>
> I am (and maybe some others are) supporting Apache OpenOffice not
> because but in spite of the copyleftless licence.
>
> Kind regards and excuse my poor english
> Michael
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]