NLPSolver wiki page

Drew Jensen
Howdy,

Last week I began looking at the documentation at the LibreOffice wiki
as it pertained to the Calc solver engines supported, and supplied by
the office suit. What I found was that the most prominent reference
was to a page back on the AOO wiki
ttps://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/NLPSolver

I thought it worth while to create a proper content page over on the
LibreOffice wiki, two main content reasons; 1st - the AOO is specific
to the NLP extension from Sun and wanted to expand it with information
on the five different engines available in a LO vanilla install
(w/java) of which the NLP engines are only two; 2nd - there is a link
to the SDK API documentation for the Solver service information which
needs to point to the proper SDK.

I decided to use the content from the AOO page as a jumping off point
and to change and expand it. A draft (nearly done) of that work is
available for review here:
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/ebisHjZo2rowM4Q

Two reasons for this email.

Today in our documentation team meeting I was asked how you folks here
felt about me using the AOO content as the jump off text. I said I was
sure you wouldn't mind and that I would ask to be sure. So - this
email. (note I've kept the license information from the AOO page in
the new draft document with regards to the two NLP extension solvers -
with a minor change to the text, so please check that out)

Second - in the draft you will see that I've included a reference to
an MIT tutorial on solvers and supply a Calc file with a simple script
which executes the solver model from that tutorial. The example Calc
file with the script should work just fine with AOO and if you folks
are interested I would be happy to share this for use on the AOO wiki
page, or anything else in that draft change.

That is the long and short of it - questions/comments welcome and let
me know if you would like to use any of the content on the wiki here.

Best wishes,

Drew

Re: NLPSolver wiki page

Marcus (OOo)
Am 22.05.20 um 00:31 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> Two reasons for this email.
>
> Today in our documentation team meeting I was asked how you folks here
> felt about me using the AOO content as the jump off text. I said I was
> sure you wouldn't mind and that I would ask to be sure. So - this
> email. (note I've kept the license information from the AOO page in
> the new draft document with regards to the two NLP extension solvers -
> with a minor change to the text, so please check that out)

sure, as we have nothing against that LO is using our code as the Apache
license is fine with this.

> Second - in the draft you will see that I've included a reference to
> an MIT tutorial on solvers and supply a Calc file with a simple script
> which executes the solver model from that tutorial. The example Calc
> file with the script should work just fine with AOO and if you folks
> are interested I would be happy to share this for use on the AOO wiki
> page, or anything else in that draft change.
>
> That is the long and short of it - questions/comments welcome and let
> me know if you would like to use any of the content on the wiki here.

I've looked at the text and couldn't find any reference for it origin;
except a little hint at the very end. But this is also in the original text.

It would be correct to state clearly - also on the beginning - where the
parts are coming from. Also because the copied text parts are really
big; or maybe it's a complete copy. But I haven't read it word for word.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Re: NLPSolver wiki page

Drew Jensen
I did reference where the important parts came from - Sun Microsystems.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 22.05.20 um 00:31 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> > Two reasons for this email.
> >
> > Today in our documentation team meeting I was asked how you folks here
> > felt about me using the AOO content as the jump off text. I said I was
> > sure you wouldn't mind and that I would ask to be sure. So - this
> > email. (note I've kept the license information from the AOO page in
> > the new draft document with regards to the two NLP extension solvers -
> > with a minor change to the text, so please check that out)
>
> sure, as we have nothing against that LO is using our code as the Apache
> license is fine with this.
>
> > Second - in the draft you will see that I've included a reference to
> > an MIT tutorial on solvers and supply a Calc file with a simple script
> > which executes the solver model from that tutorial. The example Calc
> > file with the script should work just fine with AOO and if you folks
> > are interested I would be happy to share this for use on the AOO wiki
> > page, or anything else in that draft change.
> >
> > That is the long and short of it - questions/comments welcome and let
> > me know if you would like to use any of the content on the wiki here.
>
> I've looked at the text and couldn't find any reference for it origin;
> except a little hint at the very end. But this is also in the original text.
>
> It would be correct to state clearly - also on the beginning - where the
> parts are coming from. Also because the copied text parts are really
> big; or maybe it's a complete copy. But I haven't read it word for word.
>
> My 2 ct.
>
> Marcus

Re: NLPSolver wiki page

Drew Jensen
To be more responsive:
The first 2 pages are basically just a copy of the old wiki page -
with edits to remove references that make no sense for us (ie no need
to install an extension).
The text in that section is also either generic information about
solvers or specific information on the two solvers from Sun. I've
added to it a section of generic information on CoinMP.

The tables with API interfaces has been reformatted for the Sun
Solvers and new information added for the other three supplied
solvers.

The example section is just about a total re-write. The example is 100% new.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:55 PM Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did reference where the important parts came from - Sun Microsystems.
>

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Am 22.05.20 um 00:31 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> > > Two reasons for this email.
> > >
> > > Today in our documentation team meeting I was asked how you folks here
> > > felt about me using the AOO content as the jump off text. I said I was
> > > sure you wouldn't mind and that I would ask to be sure. So - this
> > > email. (note I've kept the license information from the AOO page in
> > > the new draft document with regards to the two NLP extension solvers -
> > > with a minor change to the text, so please check that out)
> >
> > sure, as we have nothing against that LO is using our code as the Apache
> > license is fine with this.
> >
> > > Second - in the draft you will see that I've included a reference to
> > > an MIT tutorial on solvers and supply a Calc file with a simple script
> > > which executes the solver model from that tutorial. The example Calc
> > > file with the script should work just fine with AOO and if you folks
> > > are interested I would be happy to share this for use on the AOO wiki
> > > page, or anything else in that draft change.
> > >
> > > That is the long and short of it - questions/comments welcome and let
> > > me know if you would like to use any of the content on the wiki here.
> >
> > I've looked at the text and couldn't find any reference for it origin;
> > except a little hint at the very end. But this is also in the original text.
> >
> > It would be correct to state clearly - also on the beginning - where the
> > parts are coming from. Also because the copied text parts are really
> > big; or maybe it's a complete copy. But I haven't read it word for word.
> >
> > My 2 ct.
> >
> > Marcus

Re: NLPSolver wiki page

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello,

as I know the copyright went from Sun to Oracle and then to the ASF.
This include beside the Code of AOO also the wiki.openoffice.org.

So now th ASF is the copyright holder.

And for all persons who weren't employees of Sun or oracle have there
own authorship which isn't transferable.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 22.05.20 um 22:20 schrieb Drew Jensen:

> To be more responsive:
> The first 2 pages are basically just a copy of the old wiki page -
> with edits to remove references that make no sense for us (ie no need
> to install an extension).
> The text in that section is also either generic information about
> solvers or specific information on the two solvers from Sun. I've
> added to it a section of generic information on CoinMP.
>
> The tables with API interfaces has been reformatted for the Sun
> Solvers and new information added for the other three supplied
> solvers.
>
> The example section is just about a total re-write. The example is 100% new.
>

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:55 PM Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I did reference where the important parts came from - Sun Microsystems.

>>> sure, as we have nothing against that LO is using our code as the Apache
>>> license is fine with this.

>>> I've looked at the text and couldn't find any reference for it origin;
>>> except a little hint at the very end. But this is also in the original text.
>>>
>>> It would be correct to state clearly - also on the beginning - where the
>>> parts are coming from. Also because the copied text parts are really
>>> big; or maybe it's a complete copy. But I haven't read it word for word.
>>>
>>> My 2 ct.
>>>
>>> Marcus

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: NLPSolver wiki page

Drew Jensen
Well, I'm surprised by the answers and life is just to short to argue
over this type of thing.

OK - I'll drop the boilerplate stuff from the first two pages and
replace it with my own boiler plate.

That's it and the offer to you guys stands - you are welcome to any
part of this you have a use for.

Best wishes,

Drew

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:12 AM Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as I know the copyright went from Sun to Oracle and then to the ASF.
> This include beside the Code of AOO also the wiki.openoffice.org.
>
> So now th ASF is the copyright holder.
>
> And for all persons who weren't employees of Sun or oracle have there
> own authorship which isn't transferable.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Mechtilde
>
> Am 22.05.20 um 22:20 schrieb Drew Jensen:
> > To be more responsive:
> > The first 2 pages are basically just a copy of the old wiki page -
> > with edits to remove references that make no sense for us (ie no need
> > to install an extension).
> > The text in that section is also either generic information about
> > solvers or specific information on the two solvers from Sun. I've
> > added to it a section of generic information on CoinMP.
> >
> > The tables with API interfaces has been reformatted for the Sun
> > Solvers and new information added for the other three supplied
> > solvers.
> >
> > The example section is just about a total re-write. The example is 100% new.
> >

> > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:55 PM Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I did reference where the important parts came from - Sun Microsystems.

> Mechtilde Stehmann
> ## Apache OpenOffice
> ## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
> ## Debian Developer
> ## PGP encryption welcome
> ## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: NLPSolver wiki page

Dave Fisher-2
Hi Mechtilde -

I need to correct your impression.

> On May 23, 2020, at 6:12 AM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> as I know the copyright went from Sun to Oracle and then to the ASF.
> This include beside the Code of AOO also the wiki.openoffice.org.
>
> So now th ASF is the copyright holder.

That is so, but that does not exclude us from sharing under the Apache License v2. It is extra special if we received a contribution back shared under that same license.

We are after all an Open Source Software project dedicated to the public good.

> And for all persons who weren't employees of Sun or oracle have there
> own authorship which isn't transferable.

Committers to all Apache projects have contributed a license to their work and have licensed their copyright under the ICLA - http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf

Oracle and IBM both submitted Software Grant agreements for their software and resource donations. http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf

HTH,
Dave