[NOMINATION] New Apache OpenOfice Chair

Marcus (OOo)
With the past October board meeting I'm the project Chair since 13
months. So, when we follow our own (unwritten) rule to change the Chair
every ~12 month, then it's again time to find a new one.

Therefore I'm asking for PMCs and committers to step up to become our
new PMC Chair.

I want to follow this timeline to finish the vote process to make it in
time for the December Board meeting on 20th Dec:

Nomination: now until 08th Dec
Vote: 08th until 15th Dec
Resolution for Board meeting: 16th Dec

What is it about?

The Chair is like the referee in a football game. He should keep an eye
on everything, but go mostly unnoticed in doing so.

The primary task of a Chair is to report to the Board. On one side, this
requires a constant monitoring of the project and some
familiarity/experience with all aspects of OpenOffice as a project. On
the other side, this requires patience, discovery of the processes to
follow, reading some procedural documentation in English that is often
full of Apache jargon or legal terminology.

The work itself is thus a bit boring and clerical. The typical paper
work. Consider that the Chair will often be active in the project in
some other way: he/she is still an ordinary committer after all, and the
title does not make him/her special in the day-to-day activity. But a
Chair will definitely have to allocate time for monitoring the various
lists and staying informed about all ongoing issues. The most time
consuming job is maybe the creation of the Board report every 3 months.

Or in other words:

It's not to represent officially the project to the outside. It's more
an Apache internal job and even this is limited. For details please see
here [1].

Now please speak up if you want to suggest someone - or maybe yourself -
you want to see as the new Chair.

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Marcus

Re: [NOMINATION] New Apache OpenOfice Chair

Carl Marcum
On 12/03/2017 03:04 PM, Marcus wrote:

> With the past October board meeting I'm the project Chair since 13
> months. So, when we follow our own (unwritten) rule to change the
> Chair every ~12 month, then it's again time to find a new one.
>
> Therefore I'm asking for PMCs and committers to step up to become our
> new PMC Chair.
>
> I want to follow this timeline to finish the vote process to make it
> in time for the December Board meeting on 20th Dec:
>
> Nomination: now until 08th Dec
> Vote: 08th until 15th Dec
> Resolution for Board meeting: 16th Dec
>
> What is it about?
>
> The Chair is like the referee in a football game. He should keep an
> eye on everything, but go mostly unnoticed in doing so.
>
> The primary task of a Chair is to report to the Board. On one side,
> this requires a constant monitoring of the project and some
> familiarity/experience with all aspects of OpenOffice as a project. On
> the other side, this requires patience, discovery of the processes to
> follow, reading some procedural documentation in English that is often
> full of Apache jargon or legal terminology.
>
> The work itself is thus a bit boring and clerical. The typical paper
> work. Consider that the Chair will often be active in the project in
> some other way: he/she is still an ordinary committer after all, and
> the title does not make him/her special in the day-to-day activity.
> But a Chair will definitely have to allocate time for monitoring the
> various lists and staying informed about all ongoing issues. The most
> time consuming job is maybe the creation of the Board report every 3
> months.
>
> Or in other words:
>
> It's not to represent officially the project to the outside. It's more
> an Apache internal job and even this is limited. For details please
> see here [1].
>
> Now please speak up if you want to suggest someone - or maybe yourself
> - you want to see as the new Chair.
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
>
> Thanks in advance for your participation.
>
> Marcus

I'll volunteer for the Chair duties.

For those that may not know me, a little bit of project background.

My primary focus has been on developer tools especially those related to
AOO clients apps and extensions.

I was a committer and PPMC member during our incubation period.  I was
invited to be a PMC member in 2016.

Most of my original contributions involved updating the Netbeans AOO
plugin for new versions of one or the other.

Later work involved packaging the Java UNO jars for avalibility from
Maven repositories and a Apache Groovy UNO extension.

Due to my job and software business I haven't been able to contribute as
much as I would like but this is an area

where I may be able to help out since I'm not a  AOO source code developer.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: [NOMINATION] New Apache OpenOfice Chair

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello all,

I am also nominating for chair in 2017.

Maybe some small Information about myself. I have joined the Apache
OpenOffice Project in Sept 2016 after in german Mainstream IT Newspage
an article has been printed that OpenOffice has not enough devs and may
close. I decided that this is wrong and joined the Project, with the
intend to develop.

I have done only little in OpenSource before my Join to Apache Open
Office. My activities are mostly from user Perspective, but I wanted to
develop Open Source for quite a while now. This is my first Commiter and
PMC and possible Chair role.

Currently I try to help on recruiting to guide people plus learn my way
around Open Office Code (and languages!).  I am an IT Consultant for Big
data - ETL Programming (My tools are high level languages at best, maybe
Database stuff). So while I am a Programmer, my skillset is very
different to an application developer.

I have stepped up after Marcus asked the 2nd time, because I belive in
relieve. We can not allow that people burn themself. And I do believe in
choice: so I keep my will to do the job active, even if we have a good
second candidate in Carl.

Marcus has promised us both to help to get fit it. So I am confident
that I will be able to do the work needed to be done. I am looking
forward to the vote. Please allocate your vote to a candidate. It helps
the channel out ;) (as the youtoubers say.)

All the Best

Peter

On 03.12.2017 21:04, Marcus wrote:

> With the past October board meeting I'm the project Chair since 13
> months. So, when we follow our own (unwritten) rule to change the
> Chair every ~12 month, then it's again time to find a new one.
>
> Therefore I'm asking for PMCs and committers to step up to become our
> new PMC Chair.
>
> I want to follow this timeline to finish the vote process to make it
> in time for the December Board meeting on 20th Dec:
>
> Nomination: now until 08th Dec
> Vote: 08th until 15th Dec
> Resolution for Board meeting: 16th Dec
>
> What is it about?
>
> The Chair is like the referee in a football game. He should keep an
> eye on everything, but go mostly unnoticed in doing so.
>
> The primary task of a Chair is to report to the Board. On one side,
> this requires a constant monitoring of the project and some
> familiarity/experience with all aspects of OpenOffice as a project. On
> the other side, this requires patience, discovery of the processes to
> follow, reading some procedural documentation in English that is often
> full of Apache jargon or legal terminology.
>
> The work itself is thus a bit boring and clerical. The typical paper
> work. Consider that the Chair will often be active in the project in
> some other way: he/she is still an ordinary committer after all, and
> the title does not make him/her special in the day-to-day activity.
> But a Chair will definitely have to allocate time for monitoring the
> various lists and staying informed about all ongoing issues. The most
> time consuming job is maybe the creation of the Board report every 3
> months.
>
> Or in other words:
>
> It's not to represent officially the project to the outside. It's more
> an Apache internal job and even this is limited. For details please
> see here [1].
>
> Now please speak up if you want to suggest someone - or maybe yourself
> - you want to see as the new Chair.
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair
>
> Thanks in advance for your participation.
>
> Marcus

[CLOSED][NOMINATION] New Apache OpenOfice Chair

Marcus (OOo)
Time for nomination is over. The vote will start with a new mail.

Thanks to Carl und Peter for voluntering to be the next chair.

Marcus