Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

WA.TWORSX via AOL

Hi Again:

Well, my previous posting failed, due to the formatting not being
carried over in the post. Copy and Paste works okay with a YahooGroup
Mailing List, but not here. So, I am making another attempt to present
my question/problem, and ask for advice and assistance.

(I imagine that this problem is not unlike a sales manager ranking the
performance of 13 salesmen during a specific period, nor is it unlike
determining which of 13 factories produced the highest product output
over a specific time period. I have read through Chapter 7 of the Calc
vers 3 user's guide, but did not find a solution. Perhaps this problem
could more easier be solved using AOO- Base, with which I am not
experienced in using.)

_____________________________________

AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 1817496

_____________________________________

I am working with a data set that, ultimately, at the end of a bowling
tournament will show a collection of bowling scores. At present, there
are 13 bowlers participating in the tournament, and that number might
increase.

See this drop box link, which shows my work thus far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtkpz3yl7cqritu/Drop%20Box%20BVL%20Summary%20Trial.ods?dl=0
.

Cells E25:T25 contain the names of the 13 bowlers.  Cells E33:T44
contain the numerical data of interest (i.e., scores gathered during the
tournament's competition phase).

I used the =LARGE($E$33:$T$44;1) thru =LARGE($E$33:$T$44;9) to calculate
the nine highest scores within the score data of interest; the results
are shown in cells E9:E17. This will ultimately be expanded to include
the 45 highest bowling scores with the identifying bowler's name for
each (qualifying) score. (I have begun doing that in cells G9:I19.)

I need to correlate the BOWLER'S NAME with each of the HIGHEST SCORES,
and fill in the BOWLER's NAME column (cells D9:D17;H9:H19, etc.).  E.g.,
POSITION 1 shows a score of 233 (in cell F35) and that was by bowler Bob
M. (in cell F25).

Is there a Calc function that will "look up" the appropriate name in Row
25 for each of the remaining HIGHEST SCORES and display the result
within the BOWLER's NAME columns?

Any suggestions shall be appreciated.

Regards,

VinceB.

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

Vince@Gmail
FYI:

I have updated my Drop Box BVL Summary Trial.ods sheet.  Here is the
link to it (I hope that it works this time):

On 3/10/2018 10:57 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:

> [...]

> the results are shown in cells E9:E17. This will ultimately be
> expanded to include the 45 highest bowling scores with the identifying
> bowler's name for each (qualifying) score. (I have begun doing that in
> cells G9:I19.)
>
> I need to correlate the BOWLER'S NAME with each of the HIGHEST SCORES,
> and fill in the BOWLER's NAME column (cells D9:D17;H9:H19, etc.).
> E.g., POSITION 1 shows a score of 233 (in cell F35) and that was by
> bowler Bob M. (in cell F25).
>
> Is there a Calc function that will "look up" the appropriate name in
> Row 25 for each of the remaining HIGHEST SCORES and display the result
> within the BOWLER's NAME columns?
>
> Any suggestions shall be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

I am still struggling with this project; and I do need and seek help,
however!

I have uploaded to DropBox an AOO-Calc spreadsheet file. Here is the
shared link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e84yntxyouf7if7/BVL%20Summary%20Trial%20Sheets%20%281%29.ods?dl=0

I draw your attention to Sheet 4 in the BVL Summary Trial Sheets(1).ods
file:

Note that cells E57:Q57 contain the names of 13 bowlers. The data
displayed in cells E58:Q60 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to
obtain the game scores for each bowler. The data displayed within cells
D75:F109 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain 35 bowling
scores in decreasing order (“233” is the highest and “77” is the lowest).

The task is to correlate the highest score (i.e., “233”, found in cell
F75), and each score that follows in cells F76:F109, with the name of
the bowler, that made the corresponding game score, (in this instance,
Bob M., found in cell F57). I want to display the appropriate  resulting
bowler names within cells H75:H109.

Is there an AOO-Calc formula/multiple functions that can be used to
solve the task at hand?   I have looked at the LOOKUP( ) and RANK( )
functions, but did not get very far.  I am hoping that there is a way to
match the bowlers' name with the corresponding game score.

Regards,
VinceB.

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

Martin Groenescheij
This is the fourth version of your problem.
Keep trying, if you don't succeed by version 21 I will have a look into
your question.

On 15/03/18 3:29 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:

> Hi Again:
>
> _____________________________________
>
> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 1817496
>
> _____________________________________
>
> I am still struggling with this project; and I do need and seek help,
> however!
>
> I have uploaded to DropBox an AOO-Calc spreadsheet file. Here is the
> shared link:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e84yntxyouf7if7/BVL%20Summary%20Trial%20Sheets%20%281%29.ods?dl=0
>

> I draw your attention to Sheet 4 in the BVL Summary Trial
> Sheets(1).ods file:
>
> Note that cells E57:Q57 contain the names of 13 bowlers. The data
> displayed in cells E58:Q60 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function
> to obtain the game scores for each bowler. The data displayed within
> cells D75:F109 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain 35
> bowling scores in decreasing order (“233” is the highest and “77” is
> the lowest).
>
> The task is to correlate the highest score (i.e., “233”, found in cell
> F75), and each score that follows in cells F76:F109, with the name of
> the bowler, that made the corresponding game score, (in this instance,
> Bob M., found in cell F57). I want to display the appropriate
> resulting bowler names within cells H75:H109.
>
> Is there an AOO-Calc formula/multiple functions that can be used to
> solve the task at hand?   I have looked at the LOOKUP( ) and RANK( )
> functions, but did not get very far.  I am hoping that there is a way
> to match the bowlers' name with the corresponding game score.
>

> Regards,
> VinceB.

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

Daniels
WHY DOESN'T 'BLOCKING SENDER' WORK WITH YOU ON MY JUNK
MAIL??????????????????????????

This is the fourth version of your problem.
Keep trying, if you don't succeed by version 21 I will have a look into
your question.

On 15/03/18 3:29 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:

> Hi Again:
>
> _____________________________________
>
> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 1817496
>
> _____________________________________
>
> I am still struggling with this project; and I do need and seek help,
> however!
>
> I have uploaded to DropBox an AOO-Calc spreadsheet file. Here is the
> shared link:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e84yntxyouf7if7/BVL%20Summary%20Trial%20Sheets%20%281%29.ods?dl=0
>
> I draw your attention to Sheet 4 in the BVL Summary Trial Sheets(1).ods
> file:
>
> Note that cells E57:Q57 contain the names of 13 bowlers. The data
> displayed in cells E58:Q60 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to
> obtain the game scores for each bowler. The data displayed within cells
> D75:F109 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain 35 bowling
> scores in decreasing order (“233” is the highest and “77” is the lowest).
>
> The task is to correlate the highest score (i.e., “233”, found in cell
> F75), and each score that follows in cells F76:F109, with the name of the
> bowler, that made the corresponding game score, (in this instance, Bob M.,
> found in cell F57). I want to display the appropriate  resulting bowler
> names within cells H75:H109.
>
> Is there an AOO-Calc formula/multiple functions that can be used to solve
> the task at hand?   I have looked at the LOOKUP( ) and RANK( ) functions,
> but did not get very far.  I am hoping that there is a way to match the
> bowlers' name with the corresponding game score.
>

> Regards,
> VinceB.

---

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

Dave Fisher
You must be subscribed to the list.

Please see the instructions at the bottom of each email in order to unsubscribe. If this fails then POLITELY ask for help.

We are all volunteers on this list please learn not to be a jerk as that will help you in life.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 3:06 PM, Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> WHY DOESN'T 'BLOCKING SENDER' WORK WITH YOU ON MY JUNK MAIL??????????????????????????
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Martin Groenescheij
> Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:18 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?
>
> This is the fourth version of your problem.
> Keep trying, if you don't succeed by version 21 I will have a look into
> your question.
>

>> On 15/03/18 3:29 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:
>>

>> Hi Again:
>>
>> _____________________________________
>>
>> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 1817496

>> I am still struggling with this project; and I do need and seek help, however!
>>
>> I have uploaded to DropBox an AOO-Calc spreadsheet file. Here is the shared link:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e84yntxyouf7if7/BVL%20Summary%20Trial%20Sheets%20%281%29.ods?dl=0
>>
>> I draw your attention to Sheet 4 in the BVL Summary Trial Sheets(1).ods file:
>>
>> Note that cells E57:Q57 contain the names of 13 bowlers. The data displayed in cells E58:Q60 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain the game scores for each bowler. The data displayed within cells D75:F109 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain 35 bowling scores in decreasing order (“233” is the highest and “77” is the lowest).
>>
>> The task is to correlate the highest score (i.e., “233”, found in cell F75), and each score that follows in cells F76:F109, with the name of the bowler, that made the corresponding game score, (in this instance, Bob M., found in cell F57). I want to display the appropriate  resulting bowler names within cells H75:H109.
>>
>> Is there an AOO-Calc formula/multiple functions that can be used to solve the task at hand?   I have looked at the LOOKUP( ) and RANK( ) functions, but did not get very far.  I am hoping that there is a way to match the bowlers' name with the corresponding game score.
>>

>> Regards,
>> VinceB.

> ---

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

WA.TWORSX via AOL
Martin:

What is your point ?
If you’re not that interested in offering assistance, please ignore my request(s) for help.
Normally, I give thanks to (helpful) replies. Clearly, your reply is of no help to me.

Regards,
Vince

Sent from my iPad

On 15/03/18 10:21 AM, Vince B. wrote:
> Martin:
>
> What is your point ?
> If you’re not that interested in offering assistance, please ignore my request(s) for help.

Well I was looking at your problem straight from the first email you
sent, and I'm half way with the solution.
The only problem I need to solve is what happens when two bowlers have
the same score.
But it get frustrating when half way the investigation you send updates
on your problem that doesn't solve anything.
Be patient.

> Normally, I give thanks to (helpful) replies. Clearly, your reply is of no help to me.
>
> Regards,
> Vince
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Mar 14, 2018, at 17:18, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is the fourth version of your problem.
>> Keep trying, if you don't succeed by version 21 I will have a look into your question.
>>

>>> On 15/03/18 3:29 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Again:
>>>
>>> _____________________________________
>>>
>>> AOO415m1(Build:9789) -  Rev. 1817496

>>> I am still struggling with this project; and I do need and seek help, however!
>>>
>>> I have uploaded to DropBox an AOO-Calc spreadsheet file. Here is the shared link:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e84yntxyouf7if7/BVL%20Summary%20Trial%20Sheets%20%281%29.ods?dl=0
>>>
>>> I draw your attention to Sheet 4 in the BVL Summary Trial Sheets(1).ods file:
>>>
>>> Note that cells E57:Q57 contain the names of 13 bowlers. The data displayed in cells E58:Q60 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain the game scores for each bowler. The data displayed within cells D75:F109 was calculated using the LARGE( ) function to obtain 35 bowling scores in decreasing order (“233” is the highest and “77” is the lowest).
>>>
>>> The task is to correlate the highest score (i.e., “233”, found in cell F75), and each score that follows in cells F76:F109, with the name of the bowler, that made the corresponding game score, (in this instance, Bob M., found in cell F57). I want to display the appropriate  resulting bowler names within cells H75:H109.
>>>
>>> Is there an AOO-Calc formula/multiple functions that can be used to solve the task at hand?   I have looked at the LOOKUP( ) and RANK( ) functions, but did not get very far.  I am hoping that there is a way to match the bowlers' name with the corresponding game score.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> VinceB.

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

Martin Groenescheij

OK here is what I did.

First each Ranking Column Checks the highest score: IF(LARGE(Score;F$2)=$A3;F$2;"")

Second check the Double Scores: IF(COUNT($F3:$Y3)=0;"";COUNT($F3:$Y3)) for each row

Third Calculate the Min Value on each row in Column B: IF(COUNT($F3:$Y3)=0;"";MIN($F3:$Y3))

Fourth adjust scores where players share the same ranking:
IF($E3="";"";IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B3;$B$3:$B2;1;0));$B3;VLOOKUP($B3;$B$3:$B2;1;0)+COUNTIF($B$3:B18;$B3)-1))
this add 1 to the ranking of the second player in the list with the same score (not nice for the second player)

Fifth Insert name "Ranking" for the coloured cells

Score Min Value in Ranking Adjusted for same score Player Double Scores Ranking
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
161 13 13 BOB M. 1

13

168 11 11 BOB M. 1

11

233 1 1 BOB M. 1 1

125

DENISE C.

110

DENISE C.

113

DENISE C.

83

GLEN U.

146 20 20 GLEN U. 1

20
147 18 18 GLEN U. 2

18 19
87

JASIU M.

154 16 16 JASIU M. 1

16

108

JASIU M.

173 9 9 JOHN G. 2

9 10

185 5 5 JOHN G. 1

5

152 17 17 JOHN G. 1

17

88

RAY H.

92

RAY H.

129

RAY H.

188 4 4 RON J. 1

4

159 14 14 RON J. 1

14

147 18 19 RON J. 2

18 19
222 2 2 SAM C. 1
2

194 3 3 SAM C. 1

3

176 7 7 SAM C. 1

7

105

RUSSEL P.

167 12 12 RUSSEL P. 1

12

125

RUSSEL P.

179 6 6 VINCE B. 1

6

132

VINCE B.

173 9 10 VINCE B. 2

9 10

126

WILLIE M.

157 15 15 WILLIE M. 1

15

174 8 8 WILLIE M. 1

8

119

VAN?

77

VAN?

0

VAN?

Now we go back to your Trail # 1 sheet you enter VLOOKUP(C9;Ranking;2;0) in Column D9
Note that the formula use the inserted Name "Ranking"

POSITION BOWLER's NAME HIGHEST SCORES
POSITION BOWLER's NAME HIGHEST SCORES
1 BOB M. 233
10 VINCE B. 173
2 SAM C. 222
11 BOB M. 168
3 SAM C. 194
12 RUSSEL P. 167
4 RON J. 188
13 BOB M. 161
5 JOHN G. 185
14 RON J. 159
6 VINCE B. 179
15 WILLIE M. 157
7 SAM C. 176
16 JASIU M. 154
8 WILLIE M. 174
17 JOHN G. 152
9 JOHN G. 173
18 GLEN U. 147

19 RON J. 147

20 GLEN U. 146

I have attached the spreadsheet (which will be stripped off on the mailing list) therefore I put you on the Cc list.
Have fun and happy gaming.

Drop Box BVL Summary Trial v2.ods (38K) Download Attachment

Re: Need Formula to use with Results of LARGE( ) Function's Result- Lookup?

WA.TWORSX via AOL
Martin:

Thank you for your reply/comments.  I understand and do appreciate your
frustration; especially since there are many absolute ($A$1)) references
are, and must be, used.

I am aware that there are possibilities that two, or more, bowlers may
have the same numerical game score.  I am a beginner at this, and I try
to chew one part of the problem at a time.  My plan is to apply other
criterion to handle duplicate/triplicate numerical scores; perhaps the
bowlers' total pin fall or the frequency of his/her name appearing
within the ordered pair of bowling game score and correlated bowlers'
name, will serve as the tie breaker when identifying the team roster.
This will require additional thinking on my part.

FYI:    OKay; here is a wider view of this "project" (please forgive me
BrianB.):

Each Feb and Mar, a number of Veterans Administration facilities around
the USA participate in what is called the BVL Annual Bowling Tournament
(see
http://www.bowlforveterans.org/annual-bvlva-bowling-tournament-set-march/
and
http://www.bowlforveterans.org/bvl-programs/bvlva-annual-veterans-bowling-tournament/tournament-score-sheet/).
I am one of several bowlers that are representing the VA Medical Center
at Northport, NY. Ultimately, the topmost 45 bowling scores from a five
man team(s) that represents the Northport NY VAMC will be summed. The
result of that summation shall be submitted, via an online score, sheet
to the tournament administrators.  If/when a team places 1st, 2nd, or
3rd, nationally, an award is given to each member of the five-man team.

Regards,

VinceB.

On 3/15/2018 11:21 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:

> Martin:
>
> Thank you for your reply/comments.  I understand and do appreciate
> your frustration; especially since there are many absolute ($A$1))
> references are, and must be, used.
>
> I am aware that there are possibilities that two, or more, bowlers may
> have the same numerical game score.  I am a beginner at this, and I
> try to chew one part of the problem at a time.  My plan is to apply
> other criterion to handle duplicate/triplicate numerical scores;
> perhaps the bowlers' total pin fall or the frequency of his/her name
> appearing within the ordered pair of bowling game score and correlated
> bowlers' name, will serve as the tie breaker when identifying the team
> roster. This will require additional thinking on my part.
>
> FYI:    OKay; here is a wider view of this "project" (please forgive
> me BrianB.):
>
> Each Feb and Mar, a number of Veterans Administration facilities
> around the USA participate in what is called the BVL Annual Bowling
> Tournament (see
> http://www.bowlforveterans.org/annual-bvlva-bowling-tournament-set-march/
> and
> http://www.bowlforveterans.org/bvl-programs/bvlva-annual-veterans-bowling-tournament/tournament-score-sheet/).
> I am one of several bowlers that are representing the VA Medical
> Center at Northport, NY. Ultimately, the topmost 45 bowling scores
> from a five man team(s) that represents the Northport NY VAMC will be
> summed. The result of that summation shall be submitted, via an online
> score, sheet to the tournament administrators.  If/when a team places
> 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, nationally, an award is given to each member of the
> five-man team.
>
> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

For sake of accuracy, the next to last sentenced in my last paragraph above
> The result of that summation shall be submitted, via an online score,
> sheet to the tournament administrators.
should be changed to read as follows:
The official summation is accomplished by the BVL administrators by
using the data that is provided by the Northport VAMC staff via the
available online score sheet.