Need Support

gia ockuly
I just installed Open Office and tried to open an excel document. I am receiving a message "You are trying to use Office but don't have Office. My understanding is that Open Office is a free service. Is there a phone number I could call to talk with a support person? Please respond to [hidden email]

Thank you

Ray Ockuly

Re: Need Support

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 14:50:05 -0400
gia ockuly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just installed Open Office and tried to open an excel document. I am receiving a message "You are trying to use Office but don't have Office. My understanding is that Open Office is a free service. Is there a phone number I could call to talk with a support person? Please respond to [hidden email]
>
> Thank you
>
> Ray Ockuly

The File Associations are set to tell the computer to use Microsoft Office to open the file(s).  Reset therm to point to OpenOffice; right click on your .xls file and choose "Open with" from the popup,  Navigate to scalc.exe; there should also be a link to say (words to the effect) "Always use this application to open this type of file".  Select that link.  This method will allow you double click on an .xls file and OpenOffice will open it.

Or just start OpenOffice from the Programs button and use /File /Open, navigating to your .xls file.  You will need to use that method to open all .xls files.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Need Support

Keith N. McKenna
On 10/18/2017 2:50 PM, gia ockuly wrote:
> I just installed Open Office and tried to open an excel document. I am receiving a message "You are trying to use Office but don't have Office. My understanding is that Open Office is a free service. Is there a phone number I could call to talk with a support person? Please respond to [hidden email]
>
> Thank you
>
> Ray Ockuly

Ray;
Apache OpenOffice (AOO) is open source software and does not have phone
support. Support is provided via this mailing list or via the forums at
https://forum.openoffice.org/.

As you do not tell us what operating system you are using it is
difficult to give you definitive instructions. It sounds like your
preference for what software to use to open Microsoft Excel files is set
to Office. If you are using the Windows Operating System the following
actions should take care of the problem:

1: Left click on the excel file and select Open With on the menu that
   will appear
2: On the menu that will appear click on OpenOffice Calc.
   If it does not appear click on chose another app. In the window that
   opens click the more apps link and select OpenOffice Calc, check the
   box to always use this app to open excel files and click the OK box.

Now when you double click on the excel file it should open in AOO.

Regards
Keith