Need help regarding openoffice calc performance on Solaris!

Need help regarding openoffice calc performance on Solaris!

Nidhi Agarwal
Hi ,

  This is Nidhi working as part of Development team of a Product based
company

We need some inputs on the performance of open office calc on Solaris:

Some background information of our application

In very basic terms our application reads records from database and creates
excel file using openoffice calc

*Testing environment1* – Windows + Tomcat  +OpenOffice

*Testing Environment2* – Solaris + Websphere + OpenOffice

With 2500rows and 18columns it takes approx 100 secs to write all the cells
in *Testing environment1* as compared to 660 secs in *Testing environment2*

*Questions:*

1.       Is there any known limitation on performance of openoffice with
Solaris and Websphere combination

2.       Or this kind of behavior is totally unexpected

We are trying to find why the time taken is so different in both the
environments. We logged time taken by every cell and found that (*Initially
when writing the cell- time take per cell is approx 1-3 millisecs.  As the
number of row increases this time taken per cell increases. It reaches up to
15millisecs per cell at around 2500 row number* )

Please let us know if you can give us any pointers for the same

Really appreciate your inputs/help on this

 regards,

 Nidhi

Re: Need help regarding openoffice calc performance on Solaris!

Niklas Nebel-2
On 12/06/10 11:08, Nidhi Agarwal wrote:

> *Questions:*
>
> 1.       Is there any known limitation on performance of openoffice with
> Solaris and Websphere combination
>
> 2.       Or this kind of behavior is totally unexpected
>
> We are trying to find why the time taken is so different in both the
> environments. We logged time taken by every cell and found that (*Initially
> when writing the cell- time take per cell is approx 1-3 millisecs.  As the
> number of row increases this time taken per cell increases. It reaches up to
> 15millisecs per cell at around 2500 row number* )

I'm not aware of any such differences between different environments.

Generally, there are two points to keep in mind:

1. You should use the lockControllers method from the XModel interface.
Even if a file is opened in hidden mode, lockControllers still saves
some time for the repaint notifications.

2. You can save a lot of time by modifying several cells together in one
call. Take a look at the XCellRangeData interface and see if you can
fill a whole row (or any other block of cells) together.

The best mailing list if you have any further problems is
[hidden email]. You should subscribe to a list before posting,
so you get all replies. See
http://api.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList.

Niklas