New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word

New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word

Jennie Bickerton
Hi and Help
I have a new computer, have downloaded Apache Open Office, and have copied documents that are Open Office ODT onto my new computer via a Flash Drive. Now all of my files appear to be Word documents and when I attempt to open a document, the Microsoft popup wants to prompt me to purchase their software which I do not want.  I get a message that I have to delete the S app and afterwards can never add it again.
I have tried to change/open via AOF but that doesn't work.  Do I have to purchase the AOF app and if I do purchase, will Microsoft then allow me to change the documents into OF?
Any help will be appreciated!!

Re: New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word

Alan Pearce-2
Right click  the file you want to open and select open with. Working from memory , it may be open as.

Alan

Hi and HelpI have a new computer, have downloaded Apache Open Office, and have copied documents that are Open Office ODT onto my new computer via a Flash Drive. Now all of my files appear to be Word documents and when I attempt to open a document, the Microsoft popup wants to prompt me to purchase their software which I do not want.  I get a message that I have to delete the S app and afterwards can never add it again.I have tried to change/open via AOF but that doesn't work.  Do I have to purchase the AOF app and if I do purchase, will Microsoft then allow me to change the documents into OF?  Any help will be appreciated!!

Re: New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word

Dick Groskamp-4

On 2021/01/12 21:59:07, Jennie Bickerton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi and Help
> I have a new computer, have downloaded Apache Open Office, and have copied documents that are Open Office ODT onto my new computer via a Flash Drive. Now all of my files appear to be Word documents and when I attempt to open a document, the Microsoft popup wants to prompt me to purchase their software which I do not want.  I get a message that I have to delete the S app and afterwards can never add it again.
> I have tried to change/open via AOF but that doesn't work.  Do I have to purchase the AOF app and if I do purchase, will Microsoft then allow me to change the documents into OF?
> Any help will be appreciated!!

Have a look here:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-change-the-default-program-to-open-a-file-with/

Re: New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word

Steven Ahlers
Jennie,

The File Association of your documents has been changed. This is something that Windoz is pretty aggressive about doing. To fix this open the File Explorer app in Windows System (or the File Folder icon on the Task Bar). In the window for File Explorer open the folder that has your Writer files in it. Highlight one of your Writer files and then click on the triangle (down arrow) to the right of Open. This will bring up a menu of choices of programs to open that file in. If OpenOffice Writer is not in that list chose “Chose another app” and search through that list to find OpenOffice Writer, click OpenOffice Writer and then check box “Always use this app to open .odt files” this will change the file association on all .odt files to OpenOffice Writer. If you have saved text documents in other file formats then you will need to change the file association for those formats as well.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this message to you since you may not see all replies if you are not subscribed to the users group.

As a courtesy to me please do not respond to my email address, respond only to: [hidden email] so that all users can assist you with any further questions.

Thank you,

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 12, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Jennie Bickerton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi and Help
> I have a new computer, have downloaded Apache Open Office, and have copied documents that are Open Office ODT onto my new computer via a Flash Drive. Now all of my files appear to be Word documents and when I attempt to open a document, the Microsoft popup wants to prompt me to purchase their software which I do not want.  I get a message that I have to delete the S app and afterwards can never add it again.
> I have tried to change/open via AOF but that doesn't work.  Do I have to purchase the AOF app and if I do purchase, will Microsoft then allow me to change the documents into OF?
> Any help will be appreciated!!

Fw: New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word

Jennie Bickerton
 TO BRIAN BARKER AND STEPHEN AHLERS:
Thank you thank you thank you!!  I uninstalled the Microsoft Office and the documents transformed back into the Apache Open Office ODT files!  I appreciate you replying to my email so promptly and appreciate your expertise!
Sincerely,Jennie Bickerton
   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Jennie Bickerton <[hidden email]>To: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 04:59:07 PM ESTSubject: New Computer - Microsoft has changed my documents to Word