New QA Volunteer

Frank Dusett
Hello,

I am a long time user and advocate of Openoffice software.  I can't
remember precisely when my first introduction to Openoffice was, but it
would have been around 8 -10 years ago.  Openoffice has enabled me to work
on office files and documents, without having to afford Microsoft's Office
software.  The extensiveness of capability and cross-compatibility, coupled
with ease of use, has kept me as a long time user of Openoffice.

Having experienced the benefits of the Openoffice software family, I want
the opportunity to give back, in any way that I can offer.  Reading that
there is a place for debug verification, I believe that is something that I
can be of immediate assistance with.  I love trying to push the limits of
software that I utilize, so this definitely fits.

I have office and technical skills, but not programming experience.  I am a
long time CAD operator, and business office software user.  Currently I am
a proposal process engineer working for KUKA Systems Aerospace Group.  If
any of my professional skills or experience can be of use as an Openoffice
volunteer, I would be thrilled to offer my contributions.

Kind regards,

Frank L Dusett

RE: New QA Volunteer

Dennis E. Hamilton-2
Welcome Frank,

Power users, such as I think you will find yourself to be, are perfect for checking the boundaries and confirmation of defects for Apache OpenOffice.

Your participation is very welcome.

Others will suggest good places to start.

An important immediate case is verifying that there are no regressions in the current AOO 4.1.2 release candidate and confirming that the defects claimed to be fixed are (1) evidently fixed and (2) have no unintended consequences.

Please ask questions [;<).

 - Dennis

Re: New QA Volunteer

Frank Dusett
Hello Denis,

Thank you for the welcome!

I would love to participate in boundary checking and defect confirmation
efforts, supporting the AOO 4.1.2 release candidate!  What steps do I need
to take to participate in these efforts?

Thank you for the prompt response!  I look forward to supporting in any
ways I am able as a volunteer.

Regards,

Frank L Dusett

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Welcome Frank,
>
> Power users, such as I think you will find yourself to be, are perfect for
> checking the boundaries and confirmation of defects for Apache OpenOffice.
>
> Your participation is very welcome.
>
> Others will suggest good places to start.
>
> An important immediate case is verifying that there are no regressions in
> the current AOO 4.1.2 release candidate and confirming that the defects
> claimed to be fixed are (1) evidently fixed and (2) have no unintended
> consequences.
>
> Please ask questions [;<).
>
>  - Dennis

Re: New QA Volunteer

Andrea Pescetti-2
Frank Dusett wrote:
> I would love to participate in boundary checking and defect confirmation
> efforts, supporting the AOO 4.1.2 release candidate!  What steps do I need
> to take to participate in these efforts?

Hello Frank, it is very simple for you an and anyone else to join.

First, take a look at
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-qa.html just to have a
generic introduction.

Then, register for a Bugzilla account as instructed in that page.

And then you can:

1) Download and use the development version 4.1.2-RC2, available from
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/ ; currently, the
English version for Windows is at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.2-rc2-r1707648/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe

2) Use the following link to find a list of issues to be checked:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ACCEPTED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&f1=flagtypes.name&list_id=170870&o1=substring&query_format=advanced&resolution=---&resolution=FIXED&v1=4.1.2_release_blocker%2B

The aim of QA is to bring issues from RESOLVED state to VERIFIED. To do
that, you can just put a comment in each issue that is not already
VERIFIED or CLOSED and state if it works for you or not.

You can get permission to flag issues as CLOSED or VERIFIED yourself by
asking on this list.

Regards,
   Andrea.