New problem with Spell Check

lar_timonen
I have been using Open Office on this PC for over two years, with no problem, but about two weeks ago or so, suddenly ALL THE WORDS IN MY DOCUMENT ARE UNDERLINED IN RED.   The numbers  were not however.  After hitting “Ignore All”, some words are now not underlined, but most still are.  It’s like I lost the dictionary or something, but in Options it is checked for the “Standard, US”, so I am snowed.  Can you help me.                             Larry Timonen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: New problem with Spell Check

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 10:23:59 -0400
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using Open Office on this PC for over two years, with no problem, but about two weeks ago or so, suddenly ALL THE WORDS IN MY DOCUMENT ARE UNDERLINED IN RED.   The numbers  were not however.  After hitting “Ignore All”, some words are now not underlined, but most still are.  It’s like I lost the dictionary or something, but in Options it is checked for the “Standard, US”, so I am snowed.  Can you help me.                             Larry Timonen
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

This problem often arises from over-hasty power-off or hibernation of the computer, before OO's internal housekeeping is complete and the housekeeping files have been flushed to disk from  the software/hardware write buffers.  It is good practice to use the formal close down or hibernate procedures and wait a few extra seconds for all disk activity to cease before powering the computer off.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>