New volunteer orientation for QA

Rob Weir
I took the draft that Yan Ji started and added some additional material:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/intro-qa.html

Please take a look.

Are there any other changes needed?  Or is it ready?

-Rob

Re: New volunteer orientation for QA

Alexandro Colorado-4
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I took the draft that Yan Ji started and added some additional material:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/intro-qa.html
>
> Please take a look.
>
> Are there any other changes needed?  Or is it ready?
>
> -Rob

Looks good, I would ask for a tutorial on TestLink since I see so much that
usually I end up a bit lost. Please use the wiki for these kind of
publications.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I took the draft that Yan Ji started and added some additional material:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/intro-qa.html
>>
>> Please take a look.
>>
>> Are there any other changes needed?  Or is it ready?
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Looks good, I would ask for a tutorial on TestLink since I see so much that
> usually I end up a bit lost. Please use the wiki for these kind of
> publications.

This QA intro doc has a link to a TestLink introduction on the wiki
here:  http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/Testlink

-Rob

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: New volunteer orientation for QA

Zhe Liu
Nice!
It's better to merge your page and the following page into one.
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/qa.html

Best Regards
From [hidden email]

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Zhe Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nice!
> It's better to merge your page and the following page into one.
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/qa.html

I took a look.  I think it is still a good idea to have a "Quality
Assurance" page and a link to it on the navigator.  But we can link to
the orientation page for the "getting started" info.

I'll make some changes.

-Rob

> 2012/11/3 Rob Weir <[hidden email]>:
>> I took the draft that Yan Ji started and added some additional material:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/intro-qa.html
>>
>> Please take a look.
>>
>> Are there any other changes needed?  Or is it ready?
>>
>> -Rob

> Best Regards
> From [hidden email]

Re: New volunteer orientation for QA

jan iversen
I like the page(s), it really getting to be a round introduction for new
volunteers.

I have one question, I thought QA was the right place to find information
about AOO requirements for unit testing of C++ code, but I cannot find it
in wiki nor in the QA mail list. Am searching for the wrong words, or do we
in general not have unit testing ?

My question for asking, it that I want to make that the new l10n programs
(which are tools with no gui, and not part of the installation package) is
automatically tested.

By the way, I am new on this list but have been on dev/l10n for a little
while (you find me on the volunteers page). Long time ago I took an
education as ISO 9000 auditor, and used it on a couple of projects, from my
work for big companies, I have been heavily involved in testing
requirements, but only seen from the developer side!

If I can be of assistance, I would be glad to help.

Have a nice day.
Jan I.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM, jan iversen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I like the page(s), it really getting to be a round introduction for new
> volunteers.
>
> I have one question, I thought QA was the right place to find information
> about AOO requirements for unit testing of C++ code, but I cannot find it
> in wiki nor in the QA mail list. Am searching for the wrong words, or do we
> in general not have unit testing ?

there is/was automation testing but is not unit  testing persay. Wiki
information:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/test_automation_guide

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: New volunteer orientation for QA

jan iversen
Thanks Alexandro.

when you write "not unit testing persay", you think of the UNO API testing ?

So there are/was basically no direct test of the C++ code, like for e.g.
transex3 testing it handles the files correctly.

I would have think it would be needed, not only for tools (like l10n), but
also for some of the deep internal functions, like e.g. the actual UNO
implemtation ?

jan.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: New volunteer orientation for QA

Alexandro Colorado-4
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:47 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Alexandro.
>
> when you write "not unit testing persay", you think of the UNO API testing
> ?

More than the API alone, there was for other things such as VCL[1],
unfortunately the QA people are not much available anymore I'll still
suggest you contact them[2]. I dont see why they wont help you find some of
the QA process for such. Unfortunatelly many emails including leads are @
openoffice.org @Sun.com or @oracle.com

[1] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Testtool
[2] http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Team_Leads

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: New volunteer orientation for QA

jan iversen
Thanks I will do that, there is even a name I know from the old linux days.

have a nice day
Jan I.