Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

12

Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tobias Krais
Hi ML,

I'm very new here and I want to start developing things for and with
UNO. I do not know, whether I am right in this list. If not, please tell
me where to go.

Just when I started the sdk Developer Guide for OO2 I experienced
problems with the first application.

First my system information: I use Debian Linux. My IDE is Eclipse. I
installed OpenOffice2 and the OO2 sdk. I use blackdown java 1.4.2.03.

My very first application looks like this:
-----%<-----
package de.twc.openoffice;

public class FirstUnoContact {

    try {
        // get the remote office component context
        com.sun.star.uno.XComponentContext xContext =
        com.sun.star.comp.helper.Bootstrap.bootstrap();
        System.out.println("Connected to a running office ...");
        com.sun.star.lang.XMultiComponentFactory xMCF =
        xContext.getServiceManager();
        String available = (xMCF != null ? "available" : "not available");
        System.out.println( "remote ServiceManager is " + available );
    }
    catch (java.lang.Exception e){
        e.printStackTrace();
    }
    finally {
        System.exit(0);
    }
  }
}
-----%<-----

The fitting ant script works out fine and OpenOffice 2 ist running. OO2
was started with following command:
ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"

Now I want to run the application and I get following error:
-----%<-----
com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!
        at com.sun.star.comp.helper.Bootstrap.bootstrap(Bootstrap.java)
        at de.twc.openoffice.FirstUnoContact.main(FirstUnoContact.java:9)
-----%<-----

Can you help me?

Greetings, Tobias

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Christoph Neumann
Hi Tobias,

Tobias Krais schrieb:

> The fitting ant script works out fine and OpenOffice 2 ist running. OO2
> was started with following command:
> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"

try an ending Semicolon at the accept string:

ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;"

Hope that helps,

Christoph

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Stephan Wunderlich - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
Hi Tobias,

> Just when I started the sdk Developer Guide for OO2 I experienced
> problems with the first application.
>
> First my system information: I use Debian Linux. My IDE is Eclipse. I
> installed OpenOffice2 and the OO2 sdk. I use blackdown java 1.4.2.03.

mmmm, never tried if it works with the blackdown java, but normally the
bootstrap mechanism should find a running office instance.

What you could try is

1. ensure that <office_install>/program is in the PATH
2. call your java class with parameter, like
    java -Dcom.sun.star.lib.loader.unopath=/opt/OpenOffice.org/program ..

Hope that helps

Regards

Stephan

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tobias Krais
Hi Christoph,

>>The fitting ant script works out fine and OpenOffice 2 ist running. OO2
>>was started with following command:
>>ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"

> try an ending Semicolon at the accept string:
> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;"

no, no things changed.

Greetings, Tobias

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Juergen Schmidt-3
Tobias Krais wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
>>> The fitting ant script works out fine and OpenOffice 2 ist running. OO2
>>> was started with following command:
>>> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"
>
>> try an ending Semicolon at the accept string:
>> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;"
>
> no, no things changed.

When you use the simple bootstrap method you don't need to start the
office separately. And you don't need an accept string, the simple
bootstrap mechanism connects to the office using a named pipe connection.

Juergen

> Greetings, Tobias

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi Tobias,

Tobias Krais a écrit :

> Now I want to run the application and I get following error:
> -----%<-----
> com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!
> at com.sun.star.comp.helper.Bootstrap.bootstrap(Bootstrap.java)
> at de.twc.openoffice.FirstUnoContact.main(FirstUnoContact.java:9)
> -----%<-----

Is your <OOO_HOME>/program path added to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable ?
On windows, you have to set the PATH to include the program directory,
and on Unixes, you have to include it in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Hope that helps,
Cedric

[SOLVED] Re: [dev] Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tobias Krais
Hi Stephan,

>> Just when I started the sdk Developer Guide for OO2 I experienced
>> problems with the first application.
>>
>> First my system information: I use Debian Linux. My IDE is Eclipse. I
>> installed OpenOffice2 and the OO2 sdk. I use blackdown java 1.4.2.03.

> mmmm, never tried if it works with the blackdown java, but normally the
> bootstrap mechanism should find a running office instance.

working with OO 1.1.4 and the Java UNO Wrapper from .riess it works. But
now I tried the samen with sun JDK 5. Nothing changes.

> What you could try is
>
> 1. ensure that <office_install>/program is in the PATH

I tried:
-----%<-----
tobias@TuxTobi:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/openoffice/program
tobias@TuxTobi:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/lib/openoffice/program
tobias@TuxTobi:~$ eclipse
searching for compatible vm...
  testing /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj...found
-----%<-----
and then I run the application again: nothing changes

> 2. call your java class with parameter, like
>    java -Dcom.sun.star.lib.loader.unopath=/opt/OpenOffice.org/program ..

OK, I added a classpath variable to the project. Variable Name
"OFFICE_HOME" value "/usr/lib/openoffice/program". Then it work. You
suggested the solution.

Thanks a lot! I hope you won't hear too much from me in future :-)

Greetings, Tobias

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tobias Krais
Solli Jürgen,

>>> try an ending Semicolon at the accept string:
>>> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp;"

> When you use the simple bootstrap method you don't need to start the
> office separately. And you don't need an accept string, the simple
> bootstrap mechanism connects to the office using a named pipe connection.

very interesting. You're right. Now I have an other question: is it
possible to load an OpenOffice odt file without having a listening
OpenOffice?

Greetings, Tobias

Re: [SOLVED] Re: [dev] Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi Tobias,

Tobias Krais a écrit :

> OK, I added a classpath variable to the project. Variable Name
> "OFFICE_HOME" value "/usr/lib/openoffice/program". Then it work. You
> suggested the solution.
>
> Thanks a lot! I hope you won't hear too much from me in future :-)

On the contrary, we all hope that will come to help further ;)

Cedric

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tom Schindl
No. It's not you have to access the file directly and because its XML
you can easily read it using Java ;-).

I've just kicked off a opensource-project aiming at this using Java it's
in the very very very early stages and I'm concentrating on calc
documents at the moment.

If you are interested take a look at my companies publicsvn-repository:
http://publicsvn.bestsolution.at/repos/java/officefs/trunk/

Tom

Tobias Krais wrote:

> Solli Jürgen,

>> When you use the simple bootstrap method you don't need to start the
>> office separately. And you don't need an accept string, the simple
>> bootstrap mechanism connects to the office using a named pipe connection.
>
> very interesting. You're right. Now I have an other question: is it
> possible to load an OpenOffice odt file without having a listening
> OpenOffice?

sure, the bootstrap function returns the context of a running office
(started if necessary)
context.getServiceManager() returns the office servicemanger and you can
use it in the same way as you did it over a socket connection.

Juergen

> Greetings, Tobias

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tom Schindl
[...]

Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> sure, the bootstrap function returns the context of a running office
> (started if necessary)

That's the key sentence here "started if necessary". So you always have
a running office if you are communicating using a piped connection or a
socket doesn't differ beside that named pipes are only available on
Linux and not on win32? You have to same threading pecularities, loaded
the whole ooffice into memory, ... which is in my idea not necessary to
simple have my application write a odt-File, .... ;-)

That's why I've kicked of my project.

Tom

Tobias Krais wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
>>> Just when I started the sdk Developer Guide for OO2 I experienced
>>> problems with the first application.
>>>
>>> First my system information: I use Debian Linux. My IDE is Eclipse. I
>>> installed OpenOffice2 and the OO2 sdk. I use blackdown java 1.4.2.03.
>
>> mmmm, never tried if it works with the blackdown java, but normally the
>> bootstrap mechanism should find a running office instance.
>
> working with OO 1.1.4 and the Java UNO Wrapper from .riess it works. But
> now I tried the samen with sun JDK 5. Nothing changes.

unsupported wrapper stuff ;-)

>> What you could try is
>>
>> 1. ensure that <office_install>/program is in the PATH
>
> I tried:
> -----%<-----
> tobias@TuxTobi:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/openoffice/program
> tobias@TuxTobi:~$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/lib/openoffice/program
> tobias@TuxTobi:~$ eclipse
> searching for compatible vm...
>   testing /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj...found
> -----%<-----
> and then I run the application again: nothing changes
>
>> 2. call your java class with parameter, like
>>    java -Dcom.sun.star.lib.loader.unopath=/opt/OpenOffice.org/program ..
>
> OK, I added a classpath variable to the project. Variable Name
> "OFFICE_HOME" value "/usr/lib/openoffice/program". Then it work. You
> suggested the solution.

mmh, that shouldn't be necessary when you have a normal installation on
your system. But i don't know if Debian does anything special.

In your first mail you mentioned that you have started your office with
ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"

Why is it named ooffice? Is that Debian specific? If yes that is
probably the problem. The bootstrap mechansim requires some
pre-conditions (e.g. soffice must be in the PATH, a symbolic link is
sufficient).

Please can you test to rename ooffice to soffice and insert a symbolic
link ooffice -> soffice instead. It would be interesting for me to know
if this solves your problem.

Juergen

> Thanks a lot! I hope you won't hear too much from me in future :-)
>
> Greetings, Tobias

Re: [SOLVED] Re: [dev] Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Rene Engelhard
Hi,

Am Montag 16 Januar 2006 16:36 schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
Hi,

> mmh, that shouldn't be necessary when you have a normal installation on
> your system. But i don't know if Debian does anything special.
>
> In your first mail you mentioned that you have started your office with
> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"
>
> Why is it named ooffice? Is that Debian specific? If yes that is

ooffice (and oowriter, oocalc etc. which are symlinks to is) is a
perl-script doing some stuff OOo misses. And fixing some stuff. And if that
should be necessary sometime do stuff for clean upgrades.
i.-> A wrapper script. Which is in /usr/bin.

soffice still exists in /usr/lib/openoffice/program.

> probably the problem. The bootstrap mechansim requires some
> pre-conditions (e.g. soffice must be in the PATH, a symbolic link is
> sufficient).

see above.

> Please can you test to rename ooffice to soffice and insert a symbolic
> link ooffice -> soffice instead. It would be interesting for me to know
> if this solves your problem.

He just said that...

Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 : :' : http://www.debian.org | http://people.debian.org/~rene/

Re: [SOLVED] Re: [dev] Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Tom Schindl
Well normally ooffice, oowriter, ... are bash-scripts or even perl (on
mandrake) starting soffice to popup the appropriate OpenOffice-Application.

On Mandrake for example one would have to same problem because:
ooffice2.0 does the following:
----------------8<----------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my $SystemInstallDir = '/usr/lib/ooo-2.0';

exec "$SystemInstallDir/program/soffice", @ooo_argv
----------------8<----------------

which means soffice is not in my path. So the bootstrap can not work by
default.

Tom

Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> Tobias Krais wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephan,

>>> mmmm, never tried if it works with the blackdown java, but normally the
>>> bootstrap mechanism should find a running office instance.
>>

>> working with OO 1.1.4 and the Java UNO Wrapper from .riess it works. But
>> now I tried the samen with sun JDK 5. Nothing changes.
>

> unsupported wrapper stuff ;-)
>

>>> What you could try is
>>>
>>> 1. ensure that <office_install>/program is in the PATH
>>

>> I tried:
>> -----%<-----
>> tobias@TuxTobi:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/openoffice/program
>> tobias@TuxTobi:~$ echo $PATH
>> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/usr/lib/openoffice/program
>>
>> tobias@TuxTobi:~$ eclipse
>> searching for compatible vm...
>>   testing /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj...found
>> -----%<-----
>> and then I run the application again: nothing changes
>>
>>> 2. call your java class with parameter, like
>>>    java -Dcom.sun.star.lib.loader.unopath=/opt/OpenOffice.org/program ..
>>

>> OK, I added a classpath variable to the project. Variable Name
>> "OFFICE_HOME" value "/usr/lib/openoffice/program". Then it work. You
>> suggested the solution.
>

> mmh, that shouldn't be necessary when you have a normal installation on
> your system. But i don't know if Debian does anything special.
>
> In your first mail you mentioned that you have started your office with
> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"
>
> Why is it named ooffice? Is that Debian specific? If yes that is
> probably the problem. The bootstrap mechansim requires some
> pre-conditions (e.g. soffice must be in the PATH, a symbolic link is
> sufficient).
>
> Please can you test to rename ooffice to soffice and insert a symbolic
> link ooffice -> soffice instead. It would be interesting for me to know
> if this solves your problem.
>
> Juergen
>

>> Thanks a lot! I hope you won't hear too much from me in future :-)
>>
>> Greetings, Tobias

Re: Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Christian Junker
Hi Tom,

2006/1/16, Tom Schindl <[hidden email]>:
> So you always have
> a running office if you are communicating using a piped connection or a
> socket doesn't differ beside that named pipes are only available on
> Linux and not on win32?

No, not always. The simple bootstrap mechanism is something to connect
to OOo very easily (if there is no soffice process running it is
spawned with the necessary options for a pipe connection) and uses a
simple algorithm that does not give you as much stability as you would
have when doing it manually.
You can find the implementations in the source code, the one written
in the Python programming language is in the code-snippets base, I
think.

It is supported on all popular platforms AFAIK.

--
Best Regards
Christian Junker

Re: [SOLVED] Re: [dev] Newbie: com.sun.star.comp.helper.BootstrapException: no office executable found!

Rene Engelhard-7

Am Montag 16 Januar 2006 16:47 schrieb Tom Schindl:

> Well normally ooffice, oowriter, ... are bash-scripts or even perl (on
> mandrake) starting soffice to popup the appropriate OpenOffice-Application.
>
> On Mandrake for example one would have to same problem because:
> ooffice2.0 does the following:
> ----------------8<----------------
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> my $SystemInstallDir = '/usr/lib/ooo-2.0';
>
> exec "$SystemInstallDir/program/soffice", @ooo_argv
> ----------------8<----------------

yep. same script here on Debian. other path, though.
If it's really needed and would work I guess we could add some soffice
link (like /usr/bin/soffice -> /usrr/bin/ooffice -> calls the right soffice),
too..

Regards,

Rene

--
René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer -- Debian OOo Maintainer-Team
http://www.debian.org | http://people.debian.org/~rene/ | [hidden email]

Rene Engelhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag 16 Januar 2006 16:47 schrieb Tom Schindl:
>> Well normally ooffice, oowriter, ... are bash-scripts or even perl (on
>> mandrake) starting soffice to popup the appropriate OpenOffice-Application.
>>
>> On Mandrake for example one would have to same problem because:
>> ooffice2.0 does the following:
>> ----------------8<----------------
>> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>>
>> my $SystemInstallDir = '/usr/lib/ooo-2.0';
>>
>> exec "$SystemInstallDir/program/soffice", @ooo_argv
>> ----------------8<----------------
>
> yep. same script here on Debian. other path, though.
> If it's really needed and would work I guess we could add some soffice
> link (like /usr/bin/soffice -> /usrr/bin/ooffice -> calls the right soffice),
> too..

/usr/bin/soffice should be a link directly to
<officepath>/program/soffice otherwise it won't work.
In the past the setup has inserted such a link and the bootstrap
mechanism uses this information (resolves the link and set an
appropriate classpath). But it seems that this search mechanism is not
reliable and the best way is to include the <office>/program directory
of the office you want to use in your PATH.
Today we insert a link staroffice or openoffice (somewhere) when i
remember correctly, maybe the bootstrap search algorithm is not adapted.
I will check it.

Juergen

Am Montag 16 Januar 2006 17:27 schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> /usr/bin/soffice should be a link directly to
> <officepath>/program/soffice otherwise it won't work.

The problem in this case is that eventual needed stuff in the wrapper script
isn't executed when OOo is ran by "soffice" and neither when a user finds
"soffice" and gets the idea that's the normal way for starting OOo up...

But I guess we have to live with that..

> appropriate classpath). But it seems that this search mechanism is not
> reliable and the best way is to include the <office>/program directory
> of the office you want to use in your PATH.

Yeah, looks like it (although it still has the the-wrapper-isn't-used problem
then)

Regards,

Rene

Rene Engelhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag 16 Januar 2006 16:36 schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
>> mmh, that shouldn't be necessary when you have a normal installation on
>> your system. But i don't know if Debian does anything special.
>>
>> In your first mail you mentioned that you have started your office with
>> ooffice "-accept=socket,host=localhost,port=8100;urp"
>>
>> Why is it named ooffice? Is that Debian specific? If yes that is
>
> ooffice (and oowriter, oocalc etc. which are symlinks to is) is a
> perl-script doing some stuff OOo misses. And fixing some stuff. And if that

fixing? Is it submitted as an issue? Shouldn't it be fixed in general?

> should be necessary sometime do stuff for clean upgrades.
> i.-> A wrapper script. Which is in /usr/bin.
>
> soffice still exists in /usr/lib/openoffice/program.
>
>> probably the problem. The bootstrap mechansim requires some
>> pre-conditions (e.g. soffice must be in the PATH, a symbolic link is
>> sufficient).
>
> see above.
>
>> Please can you test to rename ooffice to soffice and insert a symbolic
>> link ooffice -> soffice instead. It would be interesting for me to know
>> if this solves your problem.
>
> He just said that...

forgot my suggestion it was nonsens. Forgot the perl script and insert a
link /usr/gin/soffice -> <officepath>/program/soffice

Juergen

> Regards,
>
> Rene

12