Normal view in Impress botched

Frank Thomas
There are three parts of a screen in nomral view under Impress: to the
left a pane titled Slides, with a small preview of the slides, in the
middle the work view of the slide, to the right a pane titled Tasks. In
hgtis way the work view gets the most of the screen. I inadvertedly
moved the left pane . and now it stays outside its original position
space, the slides pane hides the left part of my work and no movement
makes its "snap back" into its original position.

I don't find a tip how to restore the original, 3 part distribution of
the standard screen of impress. A new install did not change anything.

Any tip appreciated

Frank

Re: Normal view in Impress botched

Bugzilla from rich@hq.vsaa.lv
you should be able to simply drag it at the edge of the screen to dock
there. note that holding ctrl while doing so will allow you to place the
pane at the edge of the screen without docking it.

if this fails for some reason, you should try removing user
configuration files :
~/.openoffice.org2 or
~/OpenOffice.org 1.1.x or
~/ooo-dev2

deopnding on your version (though it probably is from 2.0 branch, as
impress did not look lie this in 1.1. :) )

--
  Rich

Rich wrote:

> you should be able to simply drag it at the edge of the screen to dock
> there. note that holding ctrl while doing so will allow you to place the
> pane at the edge of the screen without docking it.
>
> if this fails for some reason, you should try removing user
> configuration files :
> ~/.openoffice.org2 or
> ~/OpenOffice.org 1.1.x or
> ~/ooo-dev2

Thanks , but dragging the pane at the edge of the screen did not make
the work space for the slide resize. I dragged it to the right, closed,
opened again: the pane rests in front of the working slide.

Is there no possibility to fall back to a default ?

For the second solution: what are the file formats for the config files ?

Frank

> deopnding on your version (though it probably is from 2.0 branch, as
> impress did not look lie this in 1.1. :) )
>
> Frank Thomas wrote:
>
>> There are three parts of a screen in nomral view under Impress: to the
>> left a pane titled Slides, with a small preview of the slides, in the
>> middle the work view of the slide, to the right a pane titled Tasks.
>> In hgtis way the work view gets the most of the screen. I inadvertedly
>> moved the left pane . and now it stays outside its original position
>> space, the slides pane hides the left part of my work and no movement
>> makes its "snap back" into its original position.
>>
>> I don't find a tip how to restore the original, 3 part distribution of
>> the standard screen of impress. A new install did not change anything.
>>
>> Any tip appreciated
>>
>> Frank

Re: Re: Normal view in Impress botched

Bugzilla from rich@hq.vsaa.lv
Frank Thomas wrote:
..
> Thanks , but dragging the pane at the edge of the screen did not make
> the work space for the slide resize. I dragged it to the right, closed,
> opened again: the pane rests in front of the working slide.

maximize oo.org window; grab slides pane; drag it to the left side ~ at
the middle vertically. when you release the mouse button, isn't the pane
docked ?

if not, try closing all instances of oo.org and move the user settings
directory somewhere else, then try reopening oo.org.

if the problem is gone, you will know that this helps and if you don't
have some extensive customizations, you can just leave it as is.

> Is there no possibility to fall back to a default ?
>
> For the second solution: what are the file formats for the config files ?

basically it should be xml, but i have no idea where toolbar/pane layout
for impress is kept

> Frank
..
--
  Rich

Re: Re: Normal view in Impress botched

Richard Detwiler
I'm having the same problem that Frank is having, except that in my
case, it involves Writer and the Styles and Formatting window. It only
floats, blocking out some of the document, rather than being in a
separate pane. I've tried dragging it over to the right, but it remains
as a floating window. I've tried Ctrl dragging, and just about anything
else I can think of.

Is removing the user > configuration files really the only way to get
this back to being a separate pane? If I do remove those, what else
might get deleted, if anything?

  > you should be able to simply drag it at the edge of the screen to
dock > there. note that holding ctrl while doing so will allow you to
place the > pane at the edge of the screen without docking it.
  > > if this fails for some reason, you should try removing user >
configuration files :
 > ~/.openoffice.org2 or
 > ~/OpenOffice.org 1.1.x or
 > ~/ooo-dev2
  > Thanks , but dragging the pane at the edge of the screen did not
make the work space for the slide resize. I dragged it to the right,
closed, opened again: the pane rests in front of the working slide.

 Is there no possibility to fall back to a default ?

  For the second solution: what are the file formats for the config
files ?

 Frank

  > deopnding on your version (though it probably is from 2.0 branch, as
> impress did not look lie this in 1.1. :) )
 > > Frank Thomas wrote:
  > >> There are three parts of a screen in nomral view under Impress:
to the >> left a pane titled Slides, with a small preview of the
slides, in the >> middle the work view of the slide, to the right a
pane titled Tasks. >> In hgtis way the work view gets the most of the
screen. I inadvertedly >> moved the left pane . and now it stays
outside its original position >> space, the slides pane hides the left
part of my work and no movement >> makes its "snap back" into its
original position.

  >> I don't find a tip how to restore the original, 3 part distribution
of >> the standard screen of impress. A new install did not change
anything.

 >> Any tip appreciated
 >>
 >> Frank

Re: Normal view in Impress botched

CPHennessy
On Mon November 21 2005 08:33, Frank Thomas wrote:

> There are three parts of a screen in nomral view under Impress: to the
> left a pane titled Slides, with a small preview of the slides, in the
> middle the work view of the slide, to the right a pane titled Tasks. In
> hgtis way the work view gets the most of the screen. I inadvertedly
> moved the left pane . and now it stays outside its original position
> space, the slides pane hides the left part of my work and no movement
> makes its "snap back" into its original position.
>
> I don't find a tip how to restore the original, 3 part distribution of
> the standard screen of impress. A new install did not change anything.
>
> Any tip appreciated

Holding down the Control key, double click the area to the right of the
"slides" label should cause this window to dock (and undock).

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: Normal view in Impress botched

Frank Thomas
The best would be the possibility to fall back to a default arrangement
of panes. I"ll ask for this in the German user group
Frank

[hidden email] wrote:

> I'm having the same problem that Frank is having, except that in my
> case, it involves Writer and the Styles and Formatting window. It only
> floats, blocking out some of the document, rather than being in a
> separate pane. I've tried dragging it over to the right, but it remains
> as a floating window. I've tried Ctrl dragging, and just about anything
> else I can think of.
>
> Is removing the user > configuration files really the only way to get
> this back to being a separate pane? If I do remove those, what else
> might get deleted, if anything?

your customizations, settings, templates :)
but you don't have to delete it, just move it, rename it, so that oo.org
starts with a fresh one - then you'll see if here is a problem. if there
is, you can restore parts of personal files until you find the offending
portion.

you probably also should try a new user login with empty oo.org
configuration to see wether you can reproduce the problem.

btw, what operating system/window environment is this problem
reproducible with ?

also note that behaviour has changed in 2.0 - in 1.1 you had to hold
ctrl to dock panels, in 2.0 ctrl prevents them from docking.
..
--
  Rich

Re: Re: Normal view in Impress botched

Dan Lewis-6
Botom post:

On Monday 21 November 2005 06:37 pm, Frank Thomas wrote:

> The best would be the possibility to fall back to a default arrangement
> of panes. I"ll ask for this in the German user group
> Frank
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > I'm having the same problem that Frank is having, except that in my
> > case, it involves Writer and the Styles and Formatting window. It only
> > floats, blocking out some of the document, rather than being in a
> > separate pane. I've tried dragging it over to the right, but it remains
> > as a floating window. I've tried Ctrl dragging, and just about anything
> > else I can think of.
> >
> > Is removing the user > configuration files really the only way to get
> > this back to being a separate pane? If I do remove those, what else
> > might get deleted, if anything?

     It has been my experience that the Slides View can be made a floating
window by holding the Control key and double clicking the gray area to the
right of the word Slides. It can then be docked by doing the same thing in
the floating window: double clicking the gray area to the right of the word
Slides while holding the Control key down.

Dan