Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

12

Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Olav Dahlum-2
Hi.

Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation work
since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so far.
Any decline in the quality will not
be tolerated by either me, Axel Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who
have put a lot of time into the
project. When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was puzzled since I
already was a well known contributor.
And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done. My Pootle
account on the original server was
also lost during the transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi
made available on the server after my
request to do so. So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable
turn, the control must be put back
into my hands. Any doubters can check this page:
http://www.openoffice.org/no/translation.html, and my PGP
key.

Regards,
Olav Dahlum

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
Olav,

On 12-11-26, at 13:20 , Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation work
> since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
> jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so far.
> Any decline in the quality will not
> be tolerated by either me, Axel Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who
> have put a lot of time into the
> project. When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was puzzled since I
> already was a well known contributor.
> And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done. My Pootle
> account on the original server was
> also lost during the transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi
> made available on the server after my
> request to do so. So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable
> turn, the control must be put back
> into my hands. Any doubters can check this page:
> http://www.openoffice.org/no/translation.html, and my PGP
> key.

I'm a little surprised by the tone of this message, though I suspect there is an issue with differences in language. But can you expand on the problem, please? Do keep in mind that we are interested in gathering talent, interest, work and that we are still transitioning from the developmental structure that Rafaella oversaw.

> Regards,
> Olav Dahlum
>
> --
> Olav Dahlum
>
> PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Thanks
louis

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
Hi Olva,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Olav Dahlum wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation work

I guess you signed a joint copyright assignment with Sun/Oracle, in one
of its forms (JCA, SCA, OCA); otherwise a Sun employee like Rafaella
would never have given you access to the server pootle. This means that
you, as the author, hold copyright jointly with Oracle over the
contribution you've made.

As Oracle granted OpenOffice source code, including the translations, to
the Apache Software Foundation, now the code is no longer under the
umbrella a single corporation, but under the care of a non-profit,
charitable organization made of volunteers (as a charitable organization
the ASF does not pay for developers: only a few jobs that have to do
with keeping the infrastructure working are payed, all other people here
are volunteers, some being payed/sponsored by a company, some working in
their free time).

> since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
> jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so far.

Could you please share your concerns?

> Any decline in the quality will not be tolerated by either me, Axel
> Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who have put a lot of time
> into the project.

Please note that releases are voted here at Apache, and none will vote
to release something that hasn't the quality OpenOffice users deserve.

> When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was
> puzzled since I already was a well known contributor.

You already signed a joint contribution assignment with Sun/Oracle, this
is no longer under effect; any contribution made here at Apache must be
under the Apache License v2.0.

> And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done.

You simply have to fill this form
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
Sign it, scan it, and e-mail it to [hidden email]
It's something rather simple.

> My Pootle account on the original server was also lost during the
> transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi made available on
> the server after my request to do so.

The Pootle server was not really migrated, that is, only the content was
transfered, not the accounts inforamtion. In the current set up, only
Apache Committers can have an account in the Pootle server. Non Apache
committers are welcome to work off-line with the preferred translation
tool.

> So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable turn, the
> control must be put back into my hands.

We are simply volunteers, no one has "the control", whatever this could
mean.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

2012/11/26 Louis Suárez-Potts <[hidden email]>

> Olav,
>
> On 12-11-26, at 13:20 , Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation
> work
> > since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
> > jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so
> far.
> > Any decline in the quality will not
> > be tolerated by either me, Axel Bojer (since 2002), or any other person
> who
> > have put a lot of time into the
> > project. When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was puzzled since I
> > already was a well known contributor.
> > And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done. My Pootle
> > account on the original server was
> > also lost during the transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi
> > made available on the server after my
> > request to do so. So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable
> > turn, the control must be put back
> > into my hands. Any doubters can check this page:
> > http://www.openoffice.org/no/translation.html, and my PGP
> > key.
> >
> I'm a little surprised by the tone of this message, though I suspect there
> is an issue with differences in language. But can you expand on the
> problem, please? Do keep in mind that we are interested in gathering
> talent, interest, work and that we are still transitioning from the
> developmental structure that Rafaella oversaw.

I am sorry if my directness was misinterpreted as rudeness, but yes, the
problem is related to the guide lines which have been put down from
Skolelinux, trough OpenOffice.org, and pretty much every other FLOSS
project which needed translation into Norwegian. Well, what I actually fear
is something like the situation they have struggled with in Ubuntu, where
translations have been pretty bad at times, and the fact that people didn't
seem to be bothered by the low quality of their work. Yes, I'm still aware
of the transitional phase, but remember that a lot of people have strong
feelings about their work, and I'm one of them.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

2012/11/26 Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]>

> Hi Olva,
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Olav Dahlum wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation
> work
>
> I guess you signed a joint copyright assignment with Sun/Oracle, in one
> of its forms (JCA, SCA, OCA); otherwise a Sun employee like Rafaella
> would never have given you access to the server pootle. This means that
> you, as the author, hold copyright jointly with Oracle over the
> contribution you've made.
>
> As Oracle granted OpenOffice source code, including the translations, to
> the Apache Software Foundation, now the code is no longer under the
> umbrella a single corporation, but under the care of a non-profit,
> charitable organization made of volunteers (as a charitable organization
> the ASF does not pay for developers: only a few jobs that have to do
> with keeping the infrastructure working are payed, all other people here
> are volunteers, some being payed/sponsored by a company, some working in
> their free time).

Sorry about my directness, but I usually don't do too much small talk in
these
situations.

I didn't mention anything about money, just the bit about copyright, and
possibly
credit. Anyway, I didn't sign anything personally, if it was ever required.
But it
wasn't a problem for me, so it must have been some sort of prior agreement
(the CLA) based on what you write. Keep in mind that I'm a volunteer as
well,
which incidentally was paid by the ÅKPN foundation to translate, and test
the
software at some point. Even if Pootle is notorious for stripping away file
headers, one can't ignore prior work. Believe me, I have been accused of
taking
credit due to similar technical shortcomings.

> > since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
> > jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so
> far.
>
> Could you please share your concerns?

This might not be very useful to you, but ignoring things like this won't
make
the situation better: http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html

> > Any decline in the quality will not be tolerated by either me, Axel
> > Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who have put a lot of time
> > into the project.
>
> Please note that releases are voted here at Apache, and none will vote
> to release something that hasn't the quality OpenOffice users deserve.

This is why I need to get some of the old timers back into the game, so
they can be part of this process.

> > When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was
> > puzzled since I already was a well known contributor.
>
> You already signed a joint contribution assignment with Sun/Oracle, this
> is no longer under effect; any contribution made here at Apache must be
> under the Apache License v2.0.

Actually, I was encouraged to sign the The Apache Software Foundation
Individual
Contributor License Agreement ("Agreement") V2.0. But the plan was to meet
up
with IBM first, and act upon that. Unfortunately, our contact left the firm.

> > And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done.
>
> You simply have to fill this form
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
> Sign it, scan it, and e-mail it to [hidden email]
> It's something rather simple.

That was the point, I didn't have access to the equipment. I live mostly
paper less.

> > My Pootle account on the original server was also lost during the
> > transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi made available on
> > the server after my request to do so.
>
> The Pootle server was not really migrated, that is, only the content was
> transfered, not the accounts inforamtion. In the current set up, only
> Apache Committers can have an account in the Pootle server. Non Apache
> committers are welcome to work off-line with the preferred translation
> tool.

A bit hard to download the files when you can't. But if I actually do sign
the
ICLA now, it would mean no one could dispute my claims right?

> > So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable turn, the
> > control must be put back into my hands.
>
> We are simply volunteers, no one has "the control", whatever this could
> mean.

Let me put this differently. To avoid things getting out of control because
people have little experience with translation, some sort of coordination
is required.

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

Again, sorry if anyone was offended.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Andrea Pescetti-2
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Olav Dahlum wrote:
>> I'm not impressed by what I have seen so far.
> Could you please share your concerns?

Hi Olav, nice to see you again here! Ariel gave you a very comprehensive
answer, and several people here will be happy to help you and give you
all details, but I will need that at least you answer the question
above, i.e., what you are "not impressed" about. Could you give us a link?

>> Any decline in the quality will not be tolerated by either me, Axel
>> Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who have put a lot of time
>> into the project.
> Please note that releases are voted here at Apache, and none will vote
> to release something that hasn't the quality OpenOffice users deserve.

Indeed. Quality is a priority here at Apache. At the moment we have a
small group of volunteers working on updating both Norwegian
translations (nb and nn). I haven't seen their work so far. If you want
to work with them, or to review their work, your help will be most
welcome. For specific infomation, everything is in this list's archives
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html but just
ask and we'll be happy to answer.

>> My Pootle account on the original server was also lost during the
>> transition
> The Pootle server was not really migrated, that is, only the content was
> transfered, not the accounts inforamtion.

Yes, Pootle is not part of the transition. We currently work with
offline PO files. You can find some information on the current process
here: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/translate.html

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Rob Weir
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Keep in mind that I still own the copyright to most of the translation work
> since Åpne kontorprogram på norsk
> jumped onto LibreOffice, and I'm not impressed by what I have seen so far.
> Any decline in the quality will not
> be tolerated by either me, Axel Bojer (since 2002), or any other person who
> have put a lot of time into the
> project. When I was told I needed to sign the ICLA, I was puzzled since I
> already was a well known contributor.
> And as I couldn't due to technical reasons, it was never done. My Pootle
> account on the original server was
> also lost during the transition, a project people like Rafaella Braconi
> made available on the server after my
> request to do so. So before this really takes a wrong and unrecoverable
> turn, the control must be put back
> into my hands. Any doubters can check this page:
> http://www.openoffice.org/no/translation.html, and my PGP
> key.

Hi Olav,

I am concerned about translation quality as well.  One thing we did
when OpenOffice came to Apache was stop the practice of releasing
incomplete translations, or translations without a community to review
the work.  So we don't release until the UI is 100% translated.  We
would welcome your participation in the Norwegian Bokmål translation
that is currently being worked on.

I don't know who told you that you must sign an ICLA at Apache.  This
is not true.  We welcome contributions from anyone, with or without an
ICLA on file.  An ICLA, however, is required for project "committers",
those who have direct write access to systems like our version control
or Pootle.  Non-Committers work on PO files off-line.

Regards,

-Rob

2012/11/26 Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>

> Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Olav Dahlum wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not impressed by what I have seen so far.
>>>
>> Could you please share your concerns?
>>

> Hi Olav, nice to see you again here! Ariel gave you a very comprehensive
> answer, and several people here will be happy to help you and give you all
> details, but I will need that at least you answer the question above, i.e.,
> what you are "not impressed" about. Could you give us a link?

the latest Norwegian spell check) is used inconsistently. Other examples

Yes, Pootle is not part of the transition. We currently work with offline
> PO files. You can find some information on the current process here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/translate.html
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

I see.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

On 12-11-26, at 15:33 , Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Again, sorry if anyone was offended.

Several have already replied at length and helpfully. I won't add zeros to their ones. :-) But no one was offended, I believe, but we were alarmed that there were serious issues that needed attention, and I, at least, thank you for that.

I also thank your effort and dedication and want it to continue. That's not only because I have family in Norway, but also friends—and see the regions' efforts to work with open source to be quite important.

Best
Louis

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Olav Dahlum-2
> Hi Olav,
>

> I am concerned about translation quality as well.  One thing we did
> when OpenOffice came to Apache was stop the practice of releasing
> incomplete translations, or translations without a community to review
> the work.  So we don't release until the UI is 100% translated.  We
> would welcome your participation in the Norwegian Bokmål translation
> that is currently being worked on.
>
> I don't know who told you that you must sign an ICLA at Apache.  This
> is not true.  We welcome contributions from anyone, with or without an
> ICLA on file.  An ICLA, however, is required for project "committers",
> those who have direct write access to systems like our version control
> or Pootle.  Non-Committers work on PO files off-line.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Hi Rob.

Nice to hear from you. Yes, it sounds like a good practice, but does
require a capable team of people with the required knowledge. The
practice can also be a dangerous, if the translation is never completed.
Also, some prioritizing must be done if the team is small, and of course,
the UI must take precedence over the help content, but that might be
problematic if the help content also contain UI related strings like the
ones for tool tips, which have been the case in the past. Anyway, I
would be more than willing to pick up the work again, but I also need
some confirmation on the quality of the work which have been done
recently. There's a lot of little mistakes made over the years to fix, so
introducing even more can't be an option.

The last bit might have been confusing for both parties, but if that's the
requirement for regaining access, I'll do so.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Olav Dahlum-2
2012/11/26 Louis Suárez-Potts <[hidden email]>

> Hi Olav,
> On 12-11-26, at 15:33 , Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Again, sorry if anyone was offended.
>
> Several have already replied at length and helpfully. I won't add zeros to
> their ones. :-) But no one was offended, I believe, but we were alarmed
> that there were serious issues that needed attention, and I, at least,
> thank you for that.
>
> I also thank your effort and dedication and want it to continue. That's
> not only because I have family in Norway, but also friends—and see the
> regions' efforts to work with open source to be quite important.
>
> Best
> Louis

Except for the fact that we have twisted agendas on our hands, designed to
destroy openness:
http://www.standard.difi.no/hoyring/forslag-om-endring-av-forskrift-om-it-standarder-i-offentlig-forvaltning?tab=comments
,
which is alarming to people outside Norway as well. And a recent example of
the challenges we face, is the case of Freiburg.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

hauk142
Hello Olav.

I am one of the few people working on the Bokmål translation,

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

hauk142
Sorry about that, I accidentally hit "Send". Touchscreens and emails do not work too well together. :)

As I said, I am one of the few people who are working on the Bokmål translation. As far as I am concerned, the UI part is done and the help files are well on their way. We are currently planning to look through the UI translations, hopefully to correct some, if not all, of the errors you have mentioned. We are aware of the fact that there are some bad translations in there.

As for the general quality of the translation, I cannot say much, I  joined this effort much too recently to comment on it.

If you would like to join us in the translation, you'd be welcome to do so.

Regards, Håkon.

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

2012/11/27 hauk142 <[hidden email]>

> Hello Olav.
>
> I am one of the few people working on the Bokmål translation,

Hi there.

Do you think I have been a bit harsh here?
Your real name would be useful tough.

 --

Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

Olav Dahlum-2
2012/11/27 hauk142 <[hidden email]>

> Sorry about that, I accidentally hit "Send". Touchscreens and emails do
> not work too well together. :)
>
> As I said, I am one of the few people who are working on the Bokmål
> translation. As far as I am concerned, the UI part is done and the help
> files are well on their way. We are currently planning to look through the
> UI translations, hopefully to correct some, if not all, of the errors you
> have mentioned. We are aware of the fact that there are some bad
> translations in there.
>
> As for the general quality of the translation, I cannot say much, I
>  joined this effort much too recently to comment on it.
>
> If you would like to join us in the translation, you'd be welcome to do so.
>
> Regards, Håkon.

I will work together with you to fix what I couldn't do on my own, and the
things we were discouraged from completing back in 2009.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/11/27 hauk142 <[hidden email]>
>
>> Sorry about that, I accidentally hit "Send". Touchscreens and emails do
>> not work too well together. :)
>>
>> As I said, I am one of the few people who are working on the Bokmål
>> translation. As far as I am concerned, the UI part is done and the help
>> files are well on their way. We are currently planning to look through the
>> UI translations, hopefully to correct some, if not all, of the errors you
>> have mentioned. We are aware of the fact that there are some bad
>> translations in there.
>>
>> As for the general quality of the translation, I cannot say much, I
>>  joined this effort much too recently to comment on it.
>>
>> If you would like to join us in the translation, you'd be welcome to do so.
>>
>> Regards, Håkon.
>>

> I will work together with you to fix what I couldn't do on my own, and the
> things we were discouraged from completing back in 2009.

Are these Norwegian specific things?  Or were they broader?

-Rob

2012/11/27 Rob Weir <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Olav Dahlum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2012/11/27 hauk142 <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Sorry about that, I accidentally hit "Send". Touchscreens and emails do
> >> not work too well together. :)
> >>
> >> As I said, I am one of the few people who are working on the Bokmål
> >> translation. As far as I am concerned, the UI part is done and the help
> >> files are well on their way. We are currently planning to look through
> the
> >> UI translations, hopefully to correct some, if not all, of the errors
> you
> >> have mentioned. We are aware of the fact that there are some bad
> >> translations in there.
> >>
> >> As for the general quality of the translation, I cannot say much, I
> >>  joined this effort much too recently to comment on it.
> >>
> >> If you would like to join us in the translation, you'd be welcome to do
> so.
> >>
> >> Regards, Håkon.
> >>

> > I will work together with you to fix what I couldn't do on my own, and
> the
> > things we were discouraged from completing back in 2009.
> >

> Are these Norwegian specific things?  Or were they broader?
>
> -Rob
>

> > --
> > Olav Dahlum
> >
> > PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

I was referring to the Norwegian files, but some of the msgid's can be
problematic as well.

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

Re: Not too happy about the Norwegian translation effort.

hauk142
Well, I'll admit I thought the initial mail was rather blunt, but we have
sorted it out now, haven't we? :)

2012/11/27 Håkon Vågsether <[hidden email]>

> Well, I'll admit I thought the initial mail was rather blunt, but we have
> sorted it out now, haven't we? :)

Hehe, you are at least honest. Yes, I think we are friends now. ;-)

--
Olav Dahlum

PGP key ID: 0xA6BD1795

On 26/11/2012 Olav Dahlum wrote:
> 2012/11/26 Andrea Pescetti
>> I will need that at least you answer the question above, i.e.,
>> what you are "not impressed" about. Could you give us a link?
> the latest Norwegian spell check) is used inconsistently. Other examples

Thank you very much for this clarification: so you weren't judging the
current PROGRAM translation, since this is too new and not yet visible
(the effort has been ongoing for a few weeks only) but the WEBSITE
translation. The Norwegian pages on the website, aside from minor
changes, are unchanged since 2011.

Would you like to help fixing the errors you found in the Norwegian
website? You don't need an account, let alone an ICLA: you can edit it
directly following the instructions in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvg1pfHLhE and your patch will be
integrated in a reasonable time (say, 24 hours).

I see you have already had some constructive discussion with other
Norwegian volunteers here. You are welcome to bring back your old team
of translators too! And it would probably make sense to create a
dedicated mailing list for Norwegian: if you find it interesting, just
ask and we will create it (but we will need at least two e-mail
addresses of people who will "moderate" it, i.e., reject spam).

Regards,
   Andrea.
12