Number of Rows which can be declared to be in a Header for Sorting in Calc

Number of Rows which can be declared to be in a Header for Sorting in Calc

Tom Panfil
Hello OpenOffice Users,

For years I've desired the capability to declare a multi-row header in
Calc for purposes of sorting.  Do others think that this would be
useful?   If there is great desire for it perhaps it can be requested as
a new capability.

Your thoughts and comments are solicited.  Lets cut this off after a few
dozen responses though.  I think that it could run into the hundreds
otherwise.

-- Tom Panfil -- OO user for about 9 years
**
*
*

Re: Number of Rows which can be declared to be in a Header for Sorting in Calc

Brian Barker-2
At 12:47 01/06/2018 -0400, Tom Panfil wrote:
>For years I've desired the capability to declare a multi-row header
>in Calc for purposes of sorting.

I'm wondering why.

>Do others think that this would be useful?

Probably not.

Thoughts:

o If your column headers need to be multi-row merely because they are
lengthy and would otherwise be wider than their columns, you can put
multi-line text into a single cell - and therefore use a single row
for the purpose. You can tick the "Wrap text automatically" option
under Properties on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialogue;
this will expand the row height as necessary. Alternatively, you can
add manual line breaks in cell text using Ctrl+Enter, whereby you can
break text between lines more sensitively. If not all headers span
the same number of lines within the single row, you may wish to make
a choice about vertical positioning of text, which can be Top,
Middle, or Bottom.

o The situation where I can see you might need multi-row headers is
where each column requires a header but groups of columns also
require higher-level headers. But in this case, I don't see why you
would want to include all those headers in the cell range used for
the sort process. Surely you can either include only the bottom row
of headers or no headers at all, with the "Range contains column
labels" ticked or not ticked appropriately? My guess is that the idea
of including headers in the range when you obviously don't want them
included in the sort process - which is at least paradoxical! -
exists only for the sake of using named ranges, where the clearest
thing to want is that the named range would include column headers.
But in that case again, surely including only the lowest row of
headers in the named range would suffice?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker