OO in Klingon

Lieven L. Litaer
Hello dear translation team,

I have heard that there had been an attempt to localize OpenOffice into
Klingon, but the project was abandoned in 2005 due to lacking interest
from the Klingonist community.

A lot has changed since then, so I'm asking if there still would be
interest in doing this in Klingon?

Depending on the amount on strings, I could handle most of the
translation myself if you give me enough time, and I'm sure I could find
some volunteers to check the thing.

But first, I wanted to asked whether that makes sense or not.

BTW, I have translated the entire UI of FosWiki into Klingon last year.

Regards,
   Lieven L. Litaer.

Re: OO in Klingon

Matthias Seidel
Hi Lieven,

I really like the idea! This is ISO code tlh?

Am 26.01.19 um 16:53 schrieb Lieven L. Litaer:
> Hello dear translation team,
>
> I have heard that there had been an attempt to localize OpenOffice
> into Klingon, but the project was abandoned in 2005 due to lacking
> interest from the Klingonist community.

I was already planned for 2008 (but apparently not done):

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_Integration_Roadmap

> A lot has changed since then, so I'm asking if there still would be
> interest in doing this in Klingon?
>
> Depending on the amount on strings, I could handle most of the
> translation myself if you give me enough time, and I'm sure I could
> find some volunteers to check the thing.

There are about 91,000 strings for the UI only:

https://translate.apache.org/de/aoo40/

Still interested? ;-)

law' ghaH 'ej Duvan,

   Matthias

> But first, I wanted to asked whether that makes sense or not.
>
> BTW, I have translated the entire UI of FosWiki into Klingon last year.
>
> Regards,
>   Lieven L. Litaer.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: OO in Klingon

Lieven L. Litaer
Hallo Matthias,

(if we talk offlist, you can speak German to me)

> I really like the idea! This is ISO code tlh?

Yes, true.

> I was already planned for 2008 (but apparently not done):

Yes, it was also tried to contact the KLI in 2003, but they seemed not
so much interested. But as I said, a lot has changed since then, so
maybe it's worth a try.

> There are about 91,000 strings for the UI only:

Yes, I'm interested, but there a few things that one needs to accept:
a) this translation will certainly take a very long time. None of us
does this in their main time, so I guess the progress will certainly
take several months at least.

b) since Klingon vocabulary is not complete and a lot of things hard to
express, it is very certain that we will NEVER really reach 100%
translation done. If that's a hinder for the project, we shouldn't even
even try to begin with it, honestly.

For those reasons, I would suggest that whoever decides has to accept
that such a project will end up in an "almost-entirely" tanslated
project. It should be handled as an exception. I would certainly take
care for the fact that clearly everything visible is available in
Klingon, but there are certainly lots of strings that don't show up very
often (such as "an exceptional error has occured" or "this font is not
installed"), so those can surely be omitted.

So, turning the question back: Still interested? :-)

By the way, I am using my Klingon localization on my wiki about Klingon,
so you can check what that may look like. Go to the following website
and choose the language in the upper right corner:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/MainPage

Lieven.