OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Danishka Navin
Hi All,

I am looking for OpenOffice.org Official Presentation Templates.

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Alexandro Colorado-3
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/b/b3/OOo_template_2010.otp

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Danishka Navin
Its a 2010 OOoconf specific one.

can't remove the Budapest Logo
is there any generic one?

http://identi.ca/danishka

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Danishka Navin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its a 2010 OOoconf specific one.
>
> can't remove the Budapest Logo
> is there any generic one?

you need to go to master page and remove it there..

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Bernhard Dippold-2
Hi Danishka,

Danishka Navin schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for OpenOffice.org Official Presentation Templates.
>
> Regards

I don't think that we already have an Official Presentation Template.

There are two or three facts that need to be considered:

1. The new logo is not able to be spread because the trademark policy
has not been published.

2. An Official Template might be looked at as if the presentation would
be held by an official representative of OpenOffice.org. This can only
be done if the presenter really represents OOo - either being a project
lead/co-lead or a MarCon or having the official support by them and/or
their relevant project.

As far as I know we don't have a system to define such representatives,
but we should create one.

CC'ing Florian as he had some negative experiences in the past and might
comment...

3. Such a template should represent OOo in the consistent design the
Branding Initiative is going to define in near future.

So for the moment I'd recommend:
- Use the old logo or ask Oracle to allow usage of the new one.
(you may have a look at the wiki [1] for more or less outdated examples)
- Be aware of changes in the look-and-feel for the next future.

Best regards

Bernhard

[1]: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Art/Gallery/ImpressTemplates

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Danishka Navin
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Bernhard Dippold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Danishka,
>
> Danishka Navin schrieb:
>
>  Hi All,
>>
>> I am looking for OpenOffice.org Official Presentation Templates.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> I don't think that we already have an Official Presentation Template.
>
> There are two or three facts that need to be considered:
>
> 1. The new logo is not able to be spread because the trademark policy has
> not been published.

where is the new logo?

> 2. An Official Template might be looked at as if the presentation would be
> held by an official representative of OpenOffice.org. This can only be done
> if the presenter really represents OOo - either being a project lead/co-lead
> or a MarCon or having the official support by them and/or their relevant
> project.

How many officials per country?

can they cover all the regions?

OO.org is not the only project I am working.

Fedora, Mozilla let there community to talk about those projects.
And they motivate volunteer contributors.

As we don't have a separate Marketing Offices in each country we have to
take the support of volunteers.

None of us can't attend all the events in a country and its not practical.

I strongly recommend we must let others to use OO.org logo and templates for
OO.org related presentations.

> As far as I know we don't have a system to define such representatives, but
> we should create one.
>

> CC'ing Florian as he had some negative experiences in the past and might
> comment...
>
> 3. Such a template should represent OOo in the consistent design the
> Branding Initiative is going to define in near future.
>
> So for the moment I'd recommend:
> - Use the old logo or ask Oracle to allow usage of the new one.

WTF!
why the hell we need sponsors approval to use OO.org logo or presentation
template?

They can't control every thing.
If they want to do so, let them to do the OO.org marketing as well.

We are here not because of Oracle or Sun. Just because of OpenOffice.org.
I love OO.org and sponsor will be change time to time but we will not change
due to the sponsor.

What I am expecting is 'Sponsor should support us but he should not control
us.

Please tell me, will Oracle send a person to Sri Lanka to promote OO.org if
I resign from this project?
They want to promote only Oracle Enterprise Office and get the initial work
(l10n, customer feedback) done via OO.org to make stable Oracle Enterprise
Office.

Best Regards,
Danishka

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Stefan Weigel-4
Danishka Navin schrieb:

> WTF!
> why the hell we need sponsors approval to use OO.org logo

Simple answer: This sponsor is the one and only owner of that trademark.

Stefan.

--
www.datenpilot.org

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Stefan Weigel <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Danishka Navin schrieb:
>

>  WTF!
>> why the hell we need sponsors approval to use OO.org logo
>>

> Simple answer: This sponsor is the one and only owner of that trademark.

which one?

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Danishka Navin
Hi Stefan,

Could you please send me a link to the logo that you were referring.

Danishka

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

Re: OO.org Official Presentation Templates

Stefan Weigel-4
Hi,

Danishka Navin schrieb:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Could you please send me a link to the logo that you were referring.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Branding_Initiative/Find

Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org

Danishka Navin schrieb:

>>  WTF!
>>> why the hell we need sponsors approval to use OO.org logo
>>>
>> Simple answer: This sponsor is the one and only owner of that trademark.
>>

> which one?

OpenOffice.org as a word mark and as a picture mark is a trademark
of Oracle.

Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org

Re: OpenOffice.org trademark questions [was OO.org Official Presentation Templates]

Bernhard Dippold-3
Hi Danishka, *

thanks to Stefan for his replies - just a few additions and links...

Danishka Navin schrieb:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Bernhard Dippold<
> [hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> Hi Danishka,
>>
>> Danishka Navin schrieb:
>>
>>   Hi All,
>>
>>> I am looking for OpenOffice.org Official Presentation Templates.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>> I don't think that we already have an Official Presentation Template.
>>
>> There are two or three facts that need to be considered:
>>
>> 1. The new logo is not able to be spread because the trademark policy has
>> not been published.
>>

> where is the new logo?

The new logo is the one used in OOo3.2.1 and 3.3.0.
You can find it on the OOo website (upper left corner) too.

Background can be found here (and in the links from that page):
http://www.openoffice.org/trademark/brandrefresh.html

All these graphical elements have been created during the last year by
Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) employees, so Oracle is the copyright owner.

I hope for some kind of open license for the circular symbol ("gull
orb") and the document icons, but up to now  I didn't get any positive
reply from anybody at Oracle.

The logo will stay proprietary as the old logo
[http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/logos/previous.html#main]
was.

While for every usage of the old logo a mail request to
[hidden email] was necessary (replied by Louis
Suarez-Potts, John McCreesh and Florian Effenberger IIRC), the new logo
should be covered by a trademark policy defining who will be allowed to
use the new logo for which use-case. A web-based form will allow to get
approval for the majority of cases.

During the last months Oracle legal is checking the last version of the
policy draft - afterwards it will be presented to the community.

Until the policy becomes valid, there are just two possibilities to use
the new logo:

- Ask Oracle as copyright owner to approve our use-case.

- Use the logo without formal approval based on the probability that
Oracle will not intervene in a case that obviously supports OpenOffice.org.

My personal problem starts if someone else uses our work (in this case
the template) in a way that doesn't respect Oracle's or our project's
work, intellectual property or reputation in public. Imagine a
presentation that claims to sue Microsoft on patent infringement - an
audience believing this presentation to be backed by the OpenOffice.org
project and Oracle might cause rumors and bad reputation for our entire
community.

>> 2. An Official Template might be looked at as if the presentation would be
>> held by an official representative of OpenOffice.org. This can only be done
>> if the presenter really represents OOo - either being a project lead/co-lead
>> or a MarCon or having the official support by them and/or their relevant
>> project.
>>

> How many officials per country?
>
> can they cover all the regions?

These are questions we should discuss and decide here in the Marketing
Project.
> OO.org is not the only project I am working.
>
> Fedora, Mozilla let there community to talk about those projects.
> And they motivate volunteer contributors.

And this is what I really want to see for OOo too.

We just need rules, what can be done as OOo supporter and what needs to
be backed by OOo representatives.
> As we don't have a separate Marketing Offices in each country we have to
> take the support of volunteers.

Most of the MarCons are volunteers - and probably just a few have an
office at all...
> None of us can't attend all the events in a country and its not practical.
>
> I strongly recommend we must let others to use OO.org logo and templates for
> OO.org related presentations.

That's my opinion too. But I think that we need to avoid negative
effects by people pretending to represent the project without it's support.

> [...]
>> So for the moment I'd recommend:
>> - Use the old logo or ask Oracle to allow usage of the new one.
>>

> WTF!
> why the hell we need sponsors approval to use OO.org logo or presentation
> template?

Stefan already told you the reason:

Oracle is not only our main sponsor, but our trademark holder too:

Search TESS for "OpenOffice.org" - I can't provide direct links:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/ and use "Basis Word Mark Search"

OpenOffice.org has been trademarked in the US and other countries by
Team OpenOffice.org e.V. , the first OpenOffice.org non-profit (founded
by some of the core OOo developers and supporters employed by Sun at
this time). They sold the trademark to Sun Microsystems because Sun was
the only one able to protect the mark against abuse (and allowing abuse
would weaken the mark). With the acquisition of Sun Microsystems Oracle
got our trademark together with the duty to protect it.

I'm not a lawyer, so bare with me, if I misinterpreted or mispronounced
what I've been told in the past.

I strongly hope that the present situation will be overcome in the
shortest possible time, because this paralyses our marketing efforts in
a time we should be stronger than ever before!

Best regards

Bernhard

Re: OpenOffice.org trademark questions [was OO.org Official Presentation Templates]

Bernhard Dippold-2
(previous mail sent with wrong alias - moderators, please reject it)

http://tess2.uspto.gov/ and use "Basic Word Mark Search"

[...]

Stephen Samuel
As the saying goes -- sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than
permission.

Obviously, it can't be an official policy, but -- if you're clear that
you're supporting OOo, and pretty
clear that Oracle isn't going to bite your head off for your intended use,
I'd say just use the logo the
stuff that's already put together.

If Oracle really has a problem with this, they'll send a polite 'cease and
desist' letter -- which
will probably (among other things) point us at where we need to go, now for
proper permission.

P.S.  I never said this :-0

Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com  Software, like love,
778-861-7641                              grows when you give it away

Bernhard Dippold schrieb:

> Until the policy becomes valid, there are just two possibilities to use
> the new logo:
>
> - Ask Oracle as copyright owner to approve our use-case.
>
> - Use the logo without formal approval based on the probability that
> Oracle will not intervene in a case that obviously supports OpenOffice.org.

Another possibility could be:

- Claim that you have received the logo as part of the
OpenOffice.org product, which has been delivered to you with a
license note attached (GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE). By this
license you are allowed to

     * use the product for any purpose you like,
     * copy and distribute the product,
     * modify the product for your own needs,
     * distribute the modified versions.

This license was attached to the product by the copyright and
trademark owner. Your interpretation could be: "The trademark and
copyright owner allows us to use, change and distribute the product,
which the logo is a part of."

However, like Bernhard wrote: "I'm not a lawyer, so bare with me, if
I misinterpreted..." The same is for me.

Stefan

Stephen Samuel schrieb:

> If Oracle really has a problem with this, they'll send a polite 'cease and
> desist' letter [...]

What makes you sure about that, despite from all what you can read
in the press?

http://news.google.com/news/search?aq=f&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&q=oracle+openoffice

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=oracle+evil&word2=oracle+polite
(the latter not really meant serious ;-))

But seriously, my personal recomendation for the moment: Don´t set
up any work using OOo branding. Perhaps you may not face a law suit,
but you could be forced to costly changes afterwards.

Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org