OOo Base further development

Reizinger Zoltán
Hi all,

More than year ago Frank collected ideas about Base further development,
he put the list of ideas into wiki page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Base/Features/Pool

Not so much happened from that time with this list, for example MySQL
native driver was developed, charts integrated into reports, due to the
limited resources.
The developers time allowed working mostly only on the bugfixes.

On Featues wiki page only new features for OOo 3.4 is the  HSQLDB  2.0
integration: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Features

My question is that:
Any other feature could be added to OOo Base in 3.4 or 3.x  versions?
Or project will work only on bugfixes, due to resources constraints?

Thanks,
Zoltan

Re: OOo Base further development

Ocke Janssen-2
Moin,

On 11.01.2011 14:53, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> More than year ago Frank collected ideas about Base further development,
> he put the list of ideas into wiki page:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Base/Features/Pool
>
> Not so much happened from that time with this list, for example MySQL
> native driver was developed, charts integrated into reports, due to the
> limited resources.
> The developers time allowed working mostly only on the bugfixes.
>
> On Featues wiki page only new features for OOo 3.4 is the HSQLDB 2.0
> integration: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Features
>
> My question is that:
> Any other feature could be added to OOo Base in 3.4 or 3.x versions?
> Or project will work only on bugfixes, due to resources constraints?

There are many features which come to my mind which should/could be
implemented. And with limited count of developers (volunteers are always
welcome) the features which are implemented may be small.
May be Base isn't that attractive for developers as other apps. :-(
On the other side we have many features which need some more polish and
some pimping before starting new ones. It's difficult to go the fine
line between feature and polish to get the best for users.

- oj

PS: Somebody (volunteering) interested in developing Java for wizards in
Base (e.g. Form, Query, Table or Report)?

> Thanks,
> Zoltan

Re: [dev] Re: [dba-dev] OOo Base further development

Ocke Janssen-2
On 17.01.2011 10:07, Andreas Säger wrote:
> Am 14.01.2011 10:15, Ocke Janssen wrote:
>>
>> PS: Somebody (volunteering) interested in developing Java for wizards in
>> Base (e.g. Form, Query, Table or Report)?
>
> Based on which API? You mean api.openoffice.org?
Only the sdb part of it. May be something from awt but only to access ui
elements.

> No thanks! I'm done with it.
Sad. You could complete refactor it and remove all duplicate code (which
hopefully is already removed) and give it your own touch. And by the way
you don't have to cast java.lang.Object(s) anymore to the interface you
need, a simple

XDialogProvider2 xDialogProvider =
UnoRuntime.queryInterface(XDialogProvider2.class, obj);

is enough ;-)

A first shot could be to remove String concatenations and replace them
with StringBuilder. Just an idea.

- oj