OPen office

Lois and Jerry Harrington
Can a person download only what you would have to be the same as “microsoft publisher? If so is there a point where one can choose what not to download ?
Thank you. Lois Harrington

Re: OPen office

Alan Boba-2
Hello Lois,

There is no equivalent to Publisher in Open Office. Depending on your
needs, Draw may suffice. The Open Office programs are a complete suite and
separate components can't be individually downloaded or installed.

The most common recommendation I've seen for a Publisher like program is
Scribus. Available at this link, https://www.scribus.net/. It is open
source like Open Office.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: OPen office

Johnny Rosenberg
Den fre 19 okt. 2018 kl 00:00 skrev Lois and Jerry Harrington <
[hidden email]>:

> Can a person download only what you would have to be the same as
> “microsoft publisher?

If you want compatibility with Publisher there's a simple rule and I think
it's still valid:
”Only publisher can open publisher files”
So the hint is to never start using Publisher in the first place, because
you'll be stuck with it.

> If so is there a point where one can choose what not to download ?

No, but I've seen some different versions that are included in some
GNU/Linux-distribution's repositories when you can choose only what you
want. However, there's not much to gain. Most of the individual parts of
the suite use code from each other, so if you only install, let's say
Writer, the size of your installation will still be almost the same as when
installing everything.
I would install the whole suite and then remove unneeded icons from user
interface (if possible – it depends on the operating system).

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg