OT -> not subscribed users and drive by posts

OT -> not subscribed users and drive by posts

Wade Smart-2
Isnt the point of having a closed list to prevent drive by posts?
We seem to have a lot of posts where the poster is not subscribed
to the list.

Can this be changed to only subscribed users can post?
If not, is there a reason why?
Also, if not, how does one know a poster is not subscribed?
 - I want to create a filter to filter them out (of my email).

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: OT -> not subscribed users and drive by posts

Brian Barker
At 10:12 15/02/2018 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>Isn't the point of having a closed list to prevent drive by posts?

It would be - which is perhaps why this list is *not* closed to random posters.

>We seem to have a lot of posts where the poster is not subscribed to the list.

Good.

>Can this be changed to only subscribed users can post? If not, is
>there a reason why?

Yes, it probably could. But many people using a resource such as this
Users list will be beginners or naive users (I use those terms
literally, not pejoratively), and will be put off enquiring by the
rigmarole of the two-stage subscribing process. If they manage to get
subscribed, they will then be confused by messages in other threads,
and populate the list with "I don't know the answer to this" and "Why
are you writing to me?" messages.

>Also, if not, how does one know a poster is not subscribed? - I want
>to create a filter to filter them out (of my email).

Easy: the presence of a header reading

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: OT -> not subscribed users and drive by posts

Wade Smart-2
So, we want people not subscribed to post though they
would not receive the responses to their answers?

Im setting up that filter. Thanks Brian
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

At 10:31 15/02/2018 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>So, we want people not subscribed to post though they would not
>receive the responses to their answers?

Yes and no - in that order! They can receive replies if:
o responders are sensitive to the moderation issue and copy
appropriate replies to non-subscribers, or
o responders copy all replies to enquirers (the unnecessary receipt
of two copies of a reply is inconvenient but hardly onerous), or
o non-subscribed enquirers read replies via another facility - for
instance the web archive.

>I'm setting up that filter. Thanks Brian

No probs!

Brian Barker