Observations

Taavi Kaevats
Hi,

I am actively translating the product to my native, trying to get the
best outcome possible. Unfortunately i am experiencing inconsistency
between major languages(source data), occasionally leading to critical
errors in pootle environment.
If the critical errors shown in pootle are real threat to program
stability, i would like to ask those languages already completed to be
scanned for critical errors; and fixed.

There's one example:
/aoo40/translate/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages.po#unit=30877573
Apache OpenOffice 4.x /
instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages.po
 Locations: Error.ulf#OOO_ERROR_70.LngText.text
string 30877573

Double spaces  exist in English, but not in German.
&
Failing checks: pythonbraceformat
{by the following process: Name: [4], .. [6]}.
{durch den Prozess Name: [4], .. [6] }benutzt.

Note extra colon, spaces and sentence end..

Another sidenote..

/aoo40/translate/cui/source/tabpages.po#unit=30872478
Apache OpenOffice 4.x / cui/source/tabpages.po
 Locations: border.src#RID_SVXPAGE_BORDER.FT_RIGHT.fixedtext.text
string 30872478 Right / Rechts
String Interval 30872477..80

RIGHT is missing an accelerator in english AND german, while left, top
and bottom all are accelerated. Why? Shouldn't all 4 positions be with
accelerator?

Best wishes,
tavikas
--
Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Observations

Matthias Seidel
Hi Taavi,

Am 08.04.19 um 15:45 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
> Hi,
>
> I am actively translating the product to my native, trying to get the
> best outcome possible. Unfortunately i am experiencing inconsistency
> between major languages(source data), occasionally leading to critical
> errors in pootle environment.
Thanks for your remarks.
> If the critical errors shown in pootle are real threat to program
> stability, i would like to ask those languages already completed to be
> scanned for critical errors; and fixed.
These errors in Pootle are mostly informative and are generated
automatically.
If you find them not applicable, you can just clear them by clicking on
the "-" sign.

The "real" check is done after the export and if we find errors we will
mark strings as "Needs work".

> There's one example:
> /aoo40/translate/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages.po#unit=30877573
> Apache OpenOffice 4.x /
> instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages.po
>  Locations: Error.ulf#OOO_ERROR_70.LngText.text
> string 30877573
>
> Double spaces  exist in English, but not in German.
> &
> Failing checks: pythonbraceformat
> {by the following process: Name: [4], .. [6]}.
> {durch den Prozess Name: [4], .. [6] }benutzt.
>
> Note extra colon, spaces and sentence end..
Yes, the "original" (en-US) is far from being perfect. There are for
example a lot of "double spaces" to be found.
Since these strings are part of the source code, they need to be fixed
on that level. Don't expect it for the next version. ;-)

I corrected the German translation, thanks for the hint!

> Another sidenote..
>
> /aoo40/translate/cui/source/tabpages.po#unit=30872478
> Apache OpenOffice 4.x / cui/source/tabpages.po
>  Locations: border.src#RID_SVXPAGE_BORDER.FT_RIGHT.fixedtext.text
> string 30872478 Right / Rechts
> String Interval 30872477..80
>
> RIGHT is missing an accelerator in english AND german, while left, top
> and bottom all are accelerated. Why? Shouldn't all 4 positions be with
> accelerator?
Some accelerators are handled by the program itself, see in Writer:
"Format - Page - Borders"

I checked for en-US and de. When we have exported new translations I
will build for Windows and you can check for Estonian.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Best wishes,
> tavikas

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Observations

Taavi Kaevats
Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your reply. It was informative.

There is one more issue i would like to discuss - pure preposition
strings in source language ("At" or "To" or "On" for example). It
makes me puzzled as Estonian has no prepositions and uses suffixes
instead. Translating prepositions alone often is just impossible and
wouldnt make any sence in context later, no matter what you put
there..
In some areas there are a lot of such words to translate.. :|

--
Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Observations

Matthias Seidel
Hi Taavi,

Am 09.04.19 um 18:23 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Thank you for your reply. It was informative.
>
> There is one more issue i would like to discuss - pure preposition
> strings in source language ("At" or "To" or "On" for example). It
> makes me puzzled as Estonian has no prepositions and uses suffixes
> instead. Translating prepositions alone often is just impossible and
> wouldnt make any sence in context later, no matter what you put
> there..
> In some areas there are a lot of such words to translate.. :|
Can you give an example?

If we see it in the context where it is used it may be simpler to translate.

Regards,

   Matthias

> [...]
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> tavikas

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Observations

Taavi Kaevats
Hi Matthias,

> Hi Taavi,
>
> Am 09.04.19 um 18:23 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. It was informative.
>>
>> There is one more issue i would like to discuss - pure preposition
>> strings in source language ("At" or "To" or "On" for example). It
>> makes me puzzled as Estonian has no prepositions and uses suffixes
>> instead. Translating prepositions alone often is just impossible and
>> wouldnt make any sence in context later, no matter what you put
>> there..
>> In some areas there are a lot of such words to translate.. :|

I have work in progress. Here is the most recent finding:
Apache OpenOffice 4.x / svx/source/sidebar/paragraph.po String 30901936