Open Office 4.1.3 - big problem

Peter May
Hi,

I have had Open Office installed on my desktop computer for several years and I have just started to have major problems.

I have Windows 7 64-bit installed.

Whenever I open Office Works, it almost immediately crashes and goes to ‘Document Recovery’ page. I have uninstalled and re installed many times, but no improvement.

I actually have Open Office installed on my laptop computer, and have absolutely no problems. On the desktop, if I can get the program to stay open for a little while, it times itself out – “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library” – saying it has timed out.

I realise my explanations are a bit sketchy, but can anyone suggest what might be the cause of this. A week ago it was working OK.

kind regards

Peter May

Re: Open Office 4.1.3 - big problem

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:46:16 +0800
"Peter May" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had Open Office installed on my desktop computer for several years and I have just started to have major problems.
>
> I have Windows 7 64-bit installed.
>
> Whenever I open Office Works, it almost immediately crashes and goes to ‘Document Recovery’ page. I have uninstalled and re installed many times, but no improvement.
>
> I actually have Open Office installed on my laptop computer, and have absolutely no problems. On the desktop, if I can get the program to stay open for a little while, it times itself out – “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library” – saying it has timed out.
>
> I realise my explanations are a bit sketchy, but can anyone suggest what might be the cause of this. A week ago it was working OK.
>
> kind regards
>
> Peter May
>
> [hidden email]

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any "soffice" processes shown on TM's "Processes" tab (Details tab on Win 10).

That may  be sufficient to stabilise OO - such "soffice" processes can be left after a crash or an over-hasty close down of OO and the computer.

If that doesn't help, do it again (just to check there are no new left-over "soffice" processes, then, without starting OpenOffice,  try renaming the OpenOffice user profile.

Details of the User Profile for various operating systems
are given in

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

Reinstallation of OpenOffice does _NOT_ generate a fresh user profile; this is to respect and preserve customisation long time users of OpenOffice might have.  When the user profile has been renamed, OpenOffice will generate a new profile with default values on next startup.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>