Open Office 4.18 keeps crashing after upgrading from 4.17

Open Office 4.18 keeps crashing after upgrading from 4.17

Emmanouil Diplas
Hello, ever since I upgraded my software from 4.17 to 4.18 the SW keeps crashing and stays in an infinite loop of attempting to restore my open sheet, and then it stars all over again every few seconds, regardless of the format I am using “XLS” or “ODS”.
Removed 4.18 and went back to 4.17 and now even 4.17 keeps crashing and I cannot work.
Please advise and Thank you for your time!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Open Office 4.18 keeps crashing after upgrading from 4.17

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 06:22:06 -0800
Emmanouil Diplas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, ever since I upgraded my software from 4.17 to 4.18 the SW keeps crashing and stays in an infinite loop of attempting to restore my open sheet, and then it stars all over again every few seconds, regardless of the format I am using “XLS” or “ODS”.
> Removed 4.18 and went back to 4.17 and now even 4.17 keeps crashing and I cannot work.
> Please advise and Thank you for your time!
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Check that Windows 10 is fully updated.  If that does not cure the problem, delete or rename the OpenOffice User Profile - it will generate a fresh User Profile on next startup. OpenPffice User Profile details are given at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=99158#p476647

If these two procedures fail, as a diagnostic start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice runs stable in that mode.  If it does, you are experiencing interference from some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode - obvious candidates are an anti-virus program, or perhaps Windows Defender or some ransomware prevention application.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Open Office 4.18 keeps crashing after upgrading from 4.17

Hugo Costa
If you are working well with your actual version of Open Office – then DO NOT UPGRADE  IT !!  .  If you upgrade you wil have problems like the spell check,  your user configuration,  and so and so.  If it is good working for what you do, then DO NOT UPGRADE  Open Office.  Unless it is extremely necesary..  4. 1. 5 ?  it is good !!.  That’s my advice.
   On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 11:55:02 AM GMT-3, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 06:22:06 -0800
Emmanouil Diplas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, ever since I upgraded my software from 4.17 to 4.18 the SW keeps crashing and stays in an infinite loop of attempting to restore my open sheet, and then it stars all over again every few seconds, regardless of the format I am using “XLS” or “ODS”.
> Removed 4.18 and went back to 4.17 and now even 4.17 keeps crashing and I cannot work.
> Please advise and Thank you for your time!
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Check that Windows 10 is fully updated.  If that does not cure the problem, delete or rename the OpenOffice User Profile - it will generate a fresh User Profile on next startup. OpenPffice User Profile details are given at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=99158#p476647

If these two procedures fail, as a diagnostic start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice runs stable in that mode.  If it does, you are experiencing interference from some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode - obvious candidates are an anti-virus program, or perhaps Windows Defender or some ransomware prevention application.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Open Office 4.18 keeps crashing after upgrading from 4.17

Brian Barker-2
At 15:38 29/12/2020 +0000, Hugo Costa wrote:
>If you are working well with your actual version
>of Open Office ­ then DO NOT UPGRADE IT !! If
>you upgrade you will have problems like the
>spell check, your user configuration, and so and
>so. If it is good working for what you do, then
>DO NOT UPGRADE Open Office. Unless it is
>extremely necessary. 4. 1. 5 ? it is good !! That's my advice.

It is perhaps worth emphasising that this is
generally *not* good advice. Apart from
improvements, new versions contain corrections as
well as repairs to any security flaws discovered
- and all users should generally install them. If
problems arise on a particular system, they
should be investigated and attended to.

It is also worth noting that the original
questioner in this thread - despite the headline
- experiences his new problems with his older
version as well as with the new one, strongly
suggesting that the newer version is not to blame.

Brian Barker