Open Office 5.4.1 crashing

Jac Holz
Every 4-6 months Open Office 5.4.1 crashes.
Fortunately I have a contract with Geek squad & they’ve been able to get Open Office 5.4.1 up & running again.
Of course, everyone’s documents are important, as are mine.
I’m concerned about the impending crash that may not be fixable through Geek’s services & I lose everything in an almost calculable crash.
Yes, I do back my files.

Geek Squad has speculated that the crashes are due to updates or format changes?

My questions are: 1) Why does Open Office 5.4.1 crash periodically?
2) Are you aware of these crashes? 3) What are you doing about these crashes?

JRH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Open Office 5.4.1 crashing

Martin Groenescheij

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 29 Jul 2018, at 8:37 am, Jac Holz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Every 4-6 months Open Office 5.4.1 crashes.
> Fortunately I have a contract with Geek squad & they’ve been able to get Open Office 5.4.1 up & running again.
> Of course, everyone’s documents are important, as are mine.
> I’m concerned about the impending crash that may not be fixable through Geek’s services & I lose everything in an almost calculable crash.
> Yes, I do back my files.
>
> Geek Squad has speculated that the crashes are due to updates or format changes?

I wish OpenOffice came with a new release every 4-6 months, but because that’s far from reality their speculation is far from the truth and it shows that they’re incompetent to solve your issues.

> My questions are: 1) Why does Open Office 5.4.1 crash periodically?

Good question, but not enough information, probably you can tell us which function of OpenOffice are you working on when OpenOffice 4.1.5 crashes?
Does it crash always with the same document?
How do you save the document, in what format?

> 2) Are you aware of these crashes?

We are aware that OpenOffice is crashes every now and then, mostly related to user errors e.g. shutting down the system before the file system has saved all documents you’re working on.

> 3) What are you doing about these crashes?

What are YOU doing about these crashes?

> JRH
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Open Office 5.4.1 crashing

Jac Holz
 Good Evening Keith,
Let me start by thanking you very much for your input, clarification & explanation.
Sadly, "I know these things (computers) enough to be dangerous".
You're right, my Open Office is 4.1.5 version, my misconception is 5.4.1.
Again, thank you for your advice,  JRH (Jac Holz)

    On Saturday, July 28, 2018, 9:45:28 PM EDT, Keith N. McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On 7/28/2018 6:37 PM, Jac Holz wrote:

> Every 4-6 months Open Office 5.4.1 crashes.
> Fortunately I have a contract with Geek squad & they’ve been able to get Open Office 5.4.1 up & running again.
> Of course, everyone’s documents are important, as are mine.
> I’m concerned about the impending crash that may not be fixable through Geek’s services & I lose everything in an almost calculable crash.
> Yes, I do back my files.
>
> Geek Squad has speculated that the crashes are due to updates or format changes?
>
> My questions are: 1) Why does Open Office 5.4.1 crash periodically?
> 2) Are you aware of these crashes? 3) What are you doing about these crashes?
>
> JRH
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

JRH;

There is no Apache OpenOffice version 5.4.1. The latest Release of
Apache OpenOffice is 4.1.5. There is a LibreOffice version 5.4.1.1 could
it be this that you at=re referring to? if so you should send your
question to Ask LibreOffice at https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/.
If you are using. Apache OpenOffice please check the revision you are
using in Help -> About. In order for any of the volunteers here to try
to help you we would need more information about What operating system
you are using and probably a step by step description of the steps that
lead to the crash.

Regards
Keith