Open Office Download Tracking

Kane, Robert (04510)

To whom it may concern,

I have what may be a strange request:

My place in Washington, DC was burglarized yesterday and I am trying to obtain my computer’s serial number. It was suggested to me that I might contact OpenOffice in case I can provide personal information that might be searchable. If the company has a database that tracks the downloads and we can somehow connect my download with my system, I would be deeply grateful.

If there’s anything you need or if there’s anything we can do, please let me know. For now, you may use the following information for the purpose of identifying the computer:

Name: Robert Kane

Emails: [hidden email], [hidden email]

Computer: Lenovo Yoga purchased in 2014

Thank you,

Robert Kane
Project Center Lead

858-999-5260 cell 202-223-3465 office
Connect with us: LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter |
YouTube

Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions | 1900 L St NW | 850 | Washington | D.C. | roberthalflegal.com

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

Dave Fisher
Sorry Robert. The Apache OpenOffice project does not maintain any such database. The only personal information we have for you are emails or forum posts that you may have sent or submitted to our ML or forum.

Oracle or Sun may have kept such registrations for OpenOffice.org. Since the donation of OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation in June 2011 no registration records are maintained.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Kane, Robert (04510) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I have what may be a strange request:
>
> My place in Washington, DC was burglarized yesterday and I am trying to obtain my computer’s serial number. It was suggested to me that I might contact OpenOffice in case I can provide personal information that might be searchable. If the company has a database that tracks the downloads and we can somehow connect my download with my system, I would be deeply grateful.
>
> If there’s anything you need or if there’s anything we can do, please let me know. For now, you may use the following information for the purpose of identifying the computer:
>
> Name: Robert Kane
> Emails: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Computer: Lenovo Yoga purchased in 2014
>

> Thank you,
>

> Robert Kane
> Project Center Lead
>
> 858-999-5260 cell 202-223-3465 office
> Connect with us: LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
>
> Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions | 1900 L St NW | 850 | Washington | D.C. | roberthalflegal.com

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

Hagar Delest-2
Forwarded to OP (not subscribed to the list).

Hagar

Le 10/05/2017 à 20:43, Dave Fisher a écrit :

> Sorry Robert. The Apache OpenOffice project does not maintain any such database. The only personal information we have for you are emails or forum posts that you may have sent or submitted to our ML or forum.
>
> Oracle or Sun may have kept such registrations for OpenOffice.org. Since the donation of OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation in June 2011 no registration records are maintained.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 10, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Kane, Robert (04510) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> To whom it may concern,
>>
>> I have what may be a strange request:
>>
>> My place in Washington, DC was burglarized yesterday and I am trying to obtain my computer’s serial number. It was suggested to me that I might contact OpenOffice in case I can provide personal information that might be searchable. If the company has a database that tracks the downloads and we can somehow connect my download with my system, I would be deeply grateful.
>>
>> If there’s anything you need or if there’s anything we can do, please let me know. For now, you may use the following information for the purpose of identifying the computer:
>>
>> Name: Robert Kane
>> Emails: [hidden email], [hidden email]
>> Computer: Lenovo Yoga purchased in 2014
>>

>> Thank you,
>>

>> Robert Kane
>> Project Center Lead
>>
>> 858-999-5260 cell 202-223-3465 office
>> Connect with us: LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
>>
>> Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions | 1900 L St NW | 850 | Washington | D.C. | roberthalflegal.com

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

Simon Phipps-3
Since AOO downloads are not managed by Apache but by SourceForge, is it
possible they could help? Who is the current contact?

S.

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry Robert. The Apache OpenOffice project does not maintain any such
> database. The only personal information we have for you are emails or forum
> posts that you may have sent or submitted to our ML or forum.
>
> Oracle or Sun may have kept such registrations for OpenOffice.org. Since
> the donation of OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation in June 2011
> no registration records are maintained.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 10, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Kane, Robert (04510) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > To whom it may concern,
> >
> > I have what may be a strange request:
> >
> > My place in Washington, DC was burglarized yesterday and I am trying to
> obtain my computer’s serial number. It was suggested to me that I might
> contact OpenOffice in case I can provide personal information that might be
> searchable. If the company has a database that tracks the downloads and we
> can somehow connect my download with my system, I would be deeply grateful.
> >
> > If there’s anything you need or if there’s anything we can do, please
> let me know. For now, you may use the following information for the purpose
> of identifying the computer:
> >
> > Name: Robert Kane
> > Emails: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> > Computer: Lenovo Yoga purchased in 2014
> >

> > Thank you,
> >

> > Robert Kane
> > Project Center Lead
> >
> > 858-999-5260 cell 202-223-3465 office
> > Connect with us: LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
> >
> > Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions | 1900 L St NW | 850 |
> Washington | D.C. | roberthalflegal.com

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

Dave Fisher
Simon,

I doubt it. All that I would expect SourceForge might have is an IP address. The OP does not provide it and IP addresses are not permanent depending on the ISP and OPs service. Logs that old are not necessarily archived. We are also discussing 100 million downloads.

In addition, while I am not a lawyer isn't keeping this information illegal in certain jurisdictions? Like Hamburg?

I suggest that you validate for yourself what SourceForge does when an AOO download occurs. If PII other than the necessary browser info and IP address is seen to be exchanged then please let us know.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since AOO downloads are not managed by Apache but by SourceForge, is it
> possible they could help? Who is the current contact?
>
> S.
>

>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry Robert. The Apache OpenOffice project does not maintain any such
>> database. The only personal information we have for you are emails or forum
>> posts that you may have sent or submitted to our ML or forum.
>>
>> Oracle or Sun may have kept such registrations for OpenOffice.org. Since
>> the donation of OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation in June 2011
>> no registration records are maintained.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 10, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Kane, Robert (04510) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> To whom it may concern,
>>>
>>> I have what may be a strange request:
>>>
>>> My place in Washington, DC was burglarized yesterday and I am trying to
>> obtain my computer’s serial number. It was suggested to me that I might
>> contact OpenOffice in case I can provide personal information that might be
>> searchable. If the company has a database that tracks the downloads and we
>> can somehow connect my download with my system, I would be deeply grateful.
>>>
>>> If there’s anything you need or if there’s anything we can do, please
>> let me know. For now, you may use the following information for the purpose
>> of identifying the computer:
>>>
>>> Name: Robert Kane
>>> Emails: [hidden email], [hidden email]
>>> Computer: Lenovo Yoga purchased in 2014
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>

>>> Robert Kane
>>> Project Center Lead
>>>
>>> 858-999-5260 cell 202-223-3465 office
>>> Connect with us: LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
>>>
>>> Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions | 1900 L St NW | 850 |
>> Washington | D.C. | roberthalflegal.com

RE: Open Office Download Tracking

Kane, Robert (04510)
Hey I appreciate everyone's input. Looks like I'm in contact with the pros.

Sincerely,

Robert Kane
Project Center Lead

Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions
I doubt it. All that I would expect SourceForge might have is an IP address. The OP does not provide it and IP addresses are not permanent depending on the ISP and OPs service. Logs that old are not necessarily archived. We are also discussing 100 million downloads.

In addition, while I am not a lawyer isn't keeping this information illegal in certain jurisdictions? Like Hamburg?

I suggest that you validate for yourself what SourceForge does when an AOO download occurs. If PII other than the necessary browser info and IP address is seen to be exchanged then please let us know.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since AOO downloads are not managed by Apache but by SourceForge, is
> it possible they could help? Who is the current contact?
>
> S.
>

>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry Robert. The Apache OpenOffice project does not maintain any
>> such database. The only personal information we have for you are
>> emails or forum posts that you may have sent or submitted to our ML or forum.
>>
>> Oracle or Sun may have kept such registrations for OpenOffice.org.
>> Since the donation of OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation in
>> June 2011 no registration records are maintained.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 10, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Kane, Robert (04510) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> To whom it may concern,
>>>
>>> I have what may be a strange request:
>>>
>>> My place in Washington, DC was burglarized yesterday and I am trying
>> obtain my computer’s serial number. It was suggested to me that I
>> might contact OpenOffice in case I can provide personal information
>> that might be searchable. If the company has a database that tracks
>> the downloads and we can somehow connect my download with my system, I would be deeply grateful.
>>>
>>> If there’s anything you need or if there’s anything we can do,
>>> please
>> let me know. For now, you may use the following information for the
>> purpose of identifying the computer:
>>>
>>> Name: Robert Kane
>>> Emails: [hidden email], [hidden email]
>>> Computer: Lenovo Yoga purchased in 2014
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>

>>> Robert Kane
>>> Project Center Lead
>>>
>>> 858-999-5260 cell 202-223-3465 office Connect with us: LinkedIn |
>>> Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
>>>
>>> Robert Half Legal | Consulting Solutions | 1900 L St NW | 850 |
>> Washington | D.C. | roberthalflegal.com

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

Simon Phipps-3
Hi Dave

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I doubt it. All that I would expect SourceForge might have is an IP
> address.

SourceForge is advertising-funded and thus uses a swathe of trackers
(Privacy Badger identified 62 trackers on the Apache OpenOffice download
page just now). I would exepct them to have a great deal of insight into
each and every visitor to their site. It is entirely possible that they
could offer some assistance 1:1, although I do agree with you that the
needle involved is hidden in a very large haystack.

> In addition, while I am not a lawyer isn't keeping this information
> illegal in certain jurisdictions? Like Hamburg?

SourceForge is owned by DHI Group Inc which is based in New York. Apache is
a US non-profit based in Virginia. The OP is based in DC. Where does
Hamburg come into it?

> I suggest that you validate for yourself what SourceForge does when an AOO
> download occurs. If PII other than the necessary browser info and IP
> address is seen to be exchanged then please let us know.

OK, see above, thanks for the assignment. I suggest you or another PMT
member help the OP connect with Apache's rep at SourceForge.

S.

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

Dave Fisher
Hi Simon,

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2017, at 1:24 PM, Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave
>
>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I doubt it. All that I would expect SourceForge might have is an IP
>> address.
>

> SourceForge is advertising-funded and thus uses a swathe of trackers
> (Privacy Badger identified 62 trackers on the Apache OpenOffice download
> page just now). I would exepct them to have a great deal of insight into
> each and every visitor to their site. It is entirely possible that they
> could offer some assistance 1:1, although I do agree with you that the
> needle involved is hidden in a very large haystack.

If Robert can provide a date (or limited range) for the download then we can make a request of our contact at SF.

>> In addition, while I am not a lawyer isn't keeping this information
>> illegal in certain jurisdictions? Like Hamburg?
>>

> SourceForge is owned by DHI Group Inc which is based in New York. Apache is
> a US non-profit based in Virginia.

Close as Maryland is adjacent to Virginia.

> The OP is based in DC. Where does
> Hamburg come into it?

Where was OpenOffice originally developed?

>> I suggest that you validate for yourself what SourceForge does when an AOO
>> download occurs. If PII other than the necessary browser info and IP
>> address is seen to be exchanged then please let us know.
>

> OK, see above, thanks for the assignment. I suggest you or another PMT
> member help the OP connect with Apache's rep at SourceForge.

Thanks for the information on trackers provided above. If any of those can answer the OPs question about his serial number then I would be surprised and it would become a security question.

Regards,
Dave

> S.

Re: Open Office Download Tracking

jonathon-3
On 05/10/2017 09:01 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Thanks for the information on trackers provided above. If any of those can answer the OPs question about his serial number then I would be surprised and it would become a security question.

Given what trackers obtain about one's system, my surprise would be if
they didn't have the serial number of every piece of hardware that was
ever plugged into one's computer.

I've forgotten which CEO of which Social Media company it was that said:
"You don't have any privacy. Get over it."
A statement that shocked a great many people, but accurately reflects
the intrusiveness of corporate sponsored surveillance of individuals,
both online and offline.

Before somebody says: "Isn't it illegal", the simple answer is no.
This type of data has been available for decades. The only difference
between today, and 50 years ago, is that it is much easier, and cheaper
to purchase today, than it was in 1970.

#####

FWIW, some versions of MSO embed the serial number of the computer that
the document was first created on, within the document metadata.
Typically, this datapoint is not deleted by "metadata deletion tools".
So if you have any documents created by MSO backed up, take a look at them.

jonathon