Open Office & Microsoft 365 ??????

dalenec1
I downloaded Open Office. I used to have Microsoft 365 and could no longer afford it. Now every time I compose something on Open Office -- I cannot change, cut or paste, etc and a ribbon at top says that my subscription has been disabled and I would have to renew.

Is Open Office part of Microsoft -- why does it do this??? I need some of my work.

Please help.

Dalene Coleman

Re: Open Office & Microsoft 365 ??????

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 12:13:37 -0400
[hidden email] wrote:

> I downloaded Open Office. I used to have Microsoft 365 and could no longer afford it. Now every time I compose something on Open Office -- I cannot change, cut or paste, etc and a ribbon at top says that my subscription has been disabled and I would have to renew.
>

> Is Open Office part of Microsoft -- why does it do this??? I need some of my work.
>

> Please help.
>

> Dalene Coleman
> [hidden email]

OpenOffice is _not_ part of Microsoft.  What has happened on your computer is that a Windows update has identified that your version of Office 365 has expired and is trying to force you to purchase it.

You need to set the default program for opening your documents to be OpenOffice; a quick way is to reinstall OpenOffice; alternately, look up Default Application for Windows 10 and make OpenOffice the default application for .doc files.

I do not use any modern version of Windows, so cannot give more explicit details.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Open Office & Microsoft 365 ??????

Keith N. McKenna
Forwarding to OP who is not subscribed.
On 7/18/2018 12:58 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 12:13:37 -0400
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I downloaded Open Office. I used to have Microsoft 365 and could no longer afford it. Now every time I compose something on Open Office -- I cannot change, cut or paste, etc and a ribbon at top says that my subscription has been disabled and I would have to renew.
>>

>> Is Open Office part of Microsoft -- why does it do this??? I need some of my work.
>>

>> Please help.
>>

>> Dalene Coleman
>> [hidden email]
>>
> OpenOffice is _not_ part of Microsoft.  What has happened on your computer is that a Windows update has identified that your version of Office 365 has expired and is trying to force you to purchase it.
>
> You need to set the default program for opening your documents to be OpenOffice; a quick way is to reinstall OpenOffice; alternately, look up Default Application for Windows 10 and make OpenOffice the default application for .doc files.
>
> I do not use any modern version of Windows, so cannot give more explicit details.

Re: Open Office & Microsoft 365 ??????

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:14:27 -0400
"Keith N. McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forwarding to OP who is not subscribed.

I had realised that I had not copied to the OP, and latter forwarded a copy.

Rory

On 7/18/2018 5:21 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:14:27 -0400
> "Keith N. McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Forwarding to OP who is not subscribed.
>

> I had realised that I had not copied to the OP, and latter forwarded a copy.
>
> Rory

Sorry for the noise then Rory. I wasn't sure if you had or not so wanted
to ere on the side of caution.

Keith