Quantcast

Open Office and Microsoft Office data input

Open Office and Microsoft Office data input

Maye, Darryl M.
Good afternoon,

I use Open Office with both my home computer and at the office. At home I only have Open Office to use. At work I have Microsoft Office. I input data using both. My problem seems to be that data put in with one program will not always show up when using the other program. For instance if I input data using Open Office into a spreadsheet at home, when I than open that same spreadsheet in Microsoft Office at work, it appears that the previous work put in using Open Office isn't there. And the same will in reverse ( data input with Microsoft Office may not show in Open Office though it is more likely to show that Open Office will shoe in Microsoft Office) Since I am inputting data off of receipts to track finances, if data is missing that I can not retrieve it as the receipts are often no longer available. What can I do to get the same data to show in both programs all the time>

Darryl M Maye
[hidden email]

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone (202-879-1102) and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Re: Open Office and Microsoft Office data input

Julian Thomas

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 14:58, Maye, Darryl M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use Open Office with both my home computer and at the office. At home I only have Open Office to use. At work I have Microsoft Office. I input data using both. My problem seems to be that data put in with one program will not always show up when using the other program. For instance if I input data using Open Office into a spreadsheet at home, when I than open that same spreadsheet in Microsoft Office at work, it appears that the previous work put in using Open Office isn't there.

How are you sharing the files between the home and office computer?

You shouldn't have this problem if you use a dependable cloud file sharing product like DropBox.  Otherwise keep the file on a memory stick and carry it back and forth.

----
Julian Thomas   - http://jt-mj.net

If more politicians in this country were thinking about the next generation instead of the next election, it might be better for the United States and the world. - Claude Pepper, senator and representative

RE: Open Office and Microsoft Office data input

Maye, Darryl M.
In my reply to Brian Barker just a few mintues ago:

Good afternoon,

Had I known that the data would not be accessible from both platforms I would not have destroyed the receipts.

Although it shouldn't happen, that data doesn't appear in both platforms, I am afraid it appears to happened to me. As I only have ONE file to save to, somehow my saving to an incorrect file doesn't happen. Why would I hide data I need? Not to mention that I have no idea of HOW to hide data.

I save the data in the open document formant so that it would be compatible with both Excel and Open Office.

I use a flash drive to hold the data. I am not using any cloud services to store any of my data.

I do find it interesting you make specific note that is something I am doing wrong versus perhaps something the program is doing. But be that as it may, I guess we are all free to make judgment calls.

Your help will be appreciated.

I than saw that you have also responded to me Julian so I just copied my answers for your review. Hope it helps you to help me resolve this issue.

Thank you