Open Office calculator

RJ

Open Office calculator

RJ
Hello,

I have been using Open Office calculator without problems for quite a long time.

However suddenly my work will not save and an error notice appears stating “General input/output error while accessing”

How can I repair this error and get back to work?

An early response would be much appreciated

Thanking you in advance

Jon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Open Office calculator

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi Jon,

Have you tried to use the "save as" option?

If that is working for some reason your file probably has a copy
protection activated.

HTH

Peter

Am 13.02.20 um 19:53 schrieb RJ:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using Open Office calculator without problems for quite a long time.
>
> However suddenly my work will not save and an error notice appears stating “General input/output error while accessing”
>
> How can I repair this error and get back to work?
>
> An early response would be much appreciated
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Jon
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Open Office calculator

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 20:17:41 +0100
Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>

> Have you tried to use the "save as" option?
>
> If that is working for some reason your file probably has a copy
> protection activated.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Most likely it is a Windows Defender problem. You need to tell it to allow OpenOffice have access to folders in which  it is to write.

See [url]https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507[/url] for help on this.

Rory

> Am 13.02.20 um 19:53 schrieb RJ:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been using Open Office calculator without problems for quite a long time.
> >
> > However suddenly my work will not save and an error notice appears stating “General input/output error while accessing”
> >
> > How can I repair this error and get back to work?
> >
> > An early response would be much appreciated
> >
> > Thanking you in advance
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RJ

RE: Open Office calculator

RJ
Hi Peter,

Yes have used the save as option, which produced the same input output error

Have tried saving the contents into a new spreadsheet but again this produces an error and cannot be saved.

Have gone through the forum but nothing there cures the problem.

Have looked into windows defender and cannot see where I can allow open office access to folders.  Is this location hidden somewhere?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Jon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> Have you tried to use the "save as" option?
>
> If that is working for some reason your file probably has a copy
> protection activated.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Most likely it is a Windows Defender problem. You need to tell it to allow OpenOffice have access to folders in which  it is to write.

See [url]https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507[/url] for help on this.

Rory

> Am 13.02.20 um 19:53 schrieb RJ:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been using Open Office calculator without problems for quite a long time.
> >
> > However suddenly my work will not save and an error notice appears stating “General input/output error while accessing”
> >
> > How can I repair this error and get back to work?
> >
> > An early response would be much appreciated
> >
> > Thanking you in advance
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: Open Office calculator

David Belina
I did an internet search and a LibraOffice error solution might solve your
problem if you are on Windows (LibreOffice and Open Office share some basic
code):
When I had this problem just now, it was due to my having activated
controlled folder access in the ransomware protection settings of Windows
Security. (I suppose we shouldn't be surprised Microsoft includes
LibreOffice among "hostile applications.") When I deactivated this, the
problem went away. The fastest way to get to this setting is to enter
"Ransomware protection" or "Controlled folder access" in the Windows 10
search bar.

On February 14, 2020 at 9:13:09 AM, RJ ([hidden email])
wrote:

Hi Peter,

Yes have used the save as option, which produced the same input output
error

Have tried saving the contents into a new spreadsheet but again this
produces an error and cannot be saved.

Have gone through the forum but nothing there cures the problem.

Have looked into windows defender and cannot see where I can allow open
office access to folders. Is this location hidden somewhere?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Jon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> Have you tried to use the "save as" option?
>
> If that is working for some reason your file probably has a copy
> protection activated.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Most likely it is a Windows Defender problem. You need to tell it to allow
OpenOffice have access to folders in which it is to write.

See [url]
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507[/url] for
help on this.

Rory

> Am 13.02.20 um 19:53 schrieb RJ:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been using Open Office calculator without problems for quite a
long time.

> > However suddenly my work will not save and an error notice appears
stating “General input/output error while accessing”

> > How can I repair this error and get back to work?
> >
> > An early response would be much appreciated
> >
> > Thanking you in advance
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: Open Office calculator

David Belina
I was just forwarding a post I found on the internet that seemed to apply
to your situation, so I don’t know if you can add the ransomeware feature
back.  perhaps if you try it and (now that you know how to disable it), and
then post a reply here about your experience to help other that might have
a similar situation?
Dave

On February 15, 2020 at 10:14:26 AM, RJ ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi David,

Many thanks, deactivating ransom protection allowed my spreadsheet work to
continue (what a relief!).

Did you reactivate the ransom protection afterwards?

Thanks Again

Jon

10