Open Office current release terms and conditions

Open Office current release terms and conditions

Rossi, Nicole E.
Good afternoon,

I’m looking for more information on the license for Open Office.  The software is under the Apache License Version 2.0; however, is there a way to obtain the full click-through terms and conditions of the current software release that is available to download on the Open Office website?

Thank you,

Nicole Rossi
Office: 973-430-6015
Cell: 862-373-5730

[https://www.pseg.com/images/global/email/PSEG_emailsignature_PSEGw-tag_version2.png]<http://www.pseg.com>
[http://facebook.com/pseg]<http://www.facebook.com/pseg>        [Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/psegdelivers>         [LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/pseg>       [https://www.pseg.com/images/global/WP_LOGOgrey.png] <http://energizepseg.com/>

PSEGSC

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for use by the named addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person designated as responsible for delivering such messages to the intended recipient, you are not authorized to disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message, in whole or in part, without written authorization from PSEG.  This e-mail may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately. This notice is included in all e-mail messages leaving PSEG.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Open Office current release terms and conditions

Isaac Schrader
The software is open source. The only terms and conditions are you cannot sell the software to any party and you cannot alter the program in any way.

________________________________

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for use by the named addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person designated as responsible for delivering such messages to the intended recipient, you are not authorized to disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message, in whole or in part, without written authorization from PSEG.  This e-mail may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately. This notice is included in all e-mail messages leaving PSEG.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Open Office current release terms and conditions

jd1008
_Unfortunately, many people around the world are snagged by web sites
that sell them a non-current release on a DVD.

_
On 04/03/2017 11:36 AM, Isaac Schrader wrote:

> The software is open source. The only terms and conditions are you cannot sell the software to any party and you cannot alter the program in any way.
>

> ________________________________

Dave Fisher
Not exactly.

If you provide an altered version then you cannot call it Apache OpenOffice and must respect the trademarks of the project and the Apache Software Foundation.

The Apache License allows anyone to do what they want to the software including alteration. You can sell your version if you would like.

Please let the Project Management Committee know if you find an altered version that is still called Apache OpenOffice at [hidden email]

Note - LibreOffice and The Document Foundation likely have different terms that more closely match Isaac’s comments, but the Apache OpenOffice terms differ.

Regards,
Dave

> On Apr 3, 2017, at 10:36 AM, Isaac Schrader <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The software is open source. The only terms and conditions are you cannot sell the software to any party and you cannot alter the program in any way.
>

> ________________________________

Brian Barker
At 17:36 03/04/2017 +0000, Isaac Schrader wrote:
>The software is open source.

Surely that fact that the source code is open doesn't immediately
determine what you can do with the product? Novels are open source.
Music is open source. Maps are open source. What does that tell you
about what you may and may not do with them? Not much. Availability
does not imply freedom.

>The only terms and conditions ...

Less of the "only", please: there are nearly 1600 words in the licence.

>... are you cannot sell the software to any party ...

On the contrary, paragraph 3 of the licence explicitly grants a
licence to offer to sell or to sell the work.

>... and you cannot alter the program in any way.

Wrong again: the licence again explains what you may and may not do
with what it calls "derivative works".

Do please read the licence yourself:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html .

Brian Barker

Re: Open Office current release terms and conditions

toki
On 04/03/2017 05:36 PM, Isaac Schrader wrote:

>The only terms and conditions are you cannot sell the software to any
party

The Federal Circuit Court ruling from SCO v the world was that when
something is sold, all intellectual property rights are inherently
included within the sale, even if not specifically demarcated as such.
As such, since one probably did not have the legal right to sell the
intellectual property rights of Apache OpenOffice, then selling the
product might be an act of fraud. As such, it is some extremely shaky
case law, and _not_ the license that prohibits one from selling the
software.

In the rest of the country, and in places where things have to be
explicitly demarcated, when being sold, there are neither legal nor
licensing hindrances, in selling the software.

Your reputation might suffer, in selling a product that can be obtained
gratis, but that is a different issue.

>and you cannot alter the program in any way.

That is flat out false. One can modify the program. The license does
have a couple of requirements that are trivial to meet, if the altered
program is further distributed.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

jonathon