Open Office documentation contribution

Ryan Fulcher
2/22/2010

Ryan Fulcher
804 W. Morgan St., Apt. S-3A
Raleigh, NC 27603
919/817-1821

Dear Folks at Open Office:

This is Ryan Fulcher, and I'm a current student in the MS in Technical Communication program at NC State University. I found your documentation contributions page while exploring the Open Office site. I'm writing because I ardently endorse Open Office and other Open Source technologies, and this sounds like a great opportunity to get involved.

A little about me:  My interests include Technical Communication (of course), XML authoring and DITA, information design and architecture, human-computer interaction, new and emerging Web technologies, and all things Open Source. In addition to the MS in Technical Communication I'm working on now, I hold a BA in English and an MFA in Creative Writing. I've worked as a webmaster and designer, university Composition instructor, and I have editorial experience at all levels, as well as plenty of formal training in Technical Communication and project management. I'm smart, optimistic, and interested in the world we live in, and I'm looking for an opportunity to help out.

If what I have to offer sounds good to you—and I hope it does—please shoot me an email or give me a call. I'd be glad to provide references, work samples, and a detailed employment history.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Ryan Fulcher

Résumé attached

[end]

Re: Open Office documentation contribution

Clayton-24
On 02/22/10 18:23, Ryan Fulcher wrote:

> Dear Folks at Open Office:
>
> This is Ryan Fulcher, and I'm a current student in the MS in Technical
> Communication program at NC State University. I found your documentation
> contributions page while exploring the Open Office site. I'm writing
> because I ardently endorse Open Office and other Open Source
> technologies, and this sounds like a great opportunity to get involved.
>
> A little about me:  My interests include Technical Communication (of
> course), XML authoring and DITA, information design and architecture,
> human-computer interaction, new and emerging Web technologies, and all
> things Open Source. In addition to the MS in Technical Communication I'm
> working on now, I hold a BA in English and an MFA in Creative Writing.
> I've worked as a webmaster and designer, university Composition
> instructor, and I have editorial experience at all levels, as well as
> plenty of formal training in Technical Communication and project
> management. I'm smart, optimistic, and interested in the world we live
> in, and I'm looking for an opportunity to help out.
>
> If what I have to offer sounds good to you—and I hope it does—please
> shoot me an email or give me a call. I'd be glad to provide references,
> work samples, and a detailed employment history.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ryan Fulcher
>
> Résumé attached

Hi Ryan, and welcome to the OpenOffice.org Documentation Project.

The Documentation Project has two main mailing lists:
[hidden email], for discussions related to project
infrastructure and policy, and [hidden email], where
writers, editors, reviewers, and others discuss documents they are
working on.

We recommend you subscribe to each of these mailing lists - if you don't
subscribe, you will not see any replies to your messages, and you will
not be able to participate effectively with the team.

To subscribe to the dev list, send a blank email to
[hidden email]

To subscribe to the authors list, send a blank email to
[hidden email]

To get an overview of the project, look at the Documentation Wiki at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation There you will
find most of the documentation that we have available for OOo.  The box
on the top right of the Documentation Wiki, "Want To Help?" contains
some helpful information to help you get started.

Work on the user guides mainly takes place through the OOoAuthors
website, http://oooauthors.org/english Those docs are then made
available through the Documentation wiki.

Most of the other materials produced and maintained by the Documentation
Project, including how-to's, tutorials, and FAQs, as well as documents
for system admins, programmers and developers, are Wiki-based. You
should set up an account on the Wiki as well.

We are in the process of evaluating what the Project is doing and how
it's doing it, so some parts of the Wiki and the website are being
reorganized and rewritten. If some things seem inconsistent or unclear,
that's probably why.

You are welcome to join in. And don't be shy about asking questions on
the list when things are unclear.

C.

PS: Attachments are stripped off on this mailing list, so your resume
did not get through.  That's OK though, we don't need your resume to
have you join the project :-)
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead