Open Office stopped working

Ian Leckenby
Dear Open Office,

I have used Open Office for just over 3 years.

My PC is on Windows 8, 64 bit.

I am using Open Office 4.1.5.

On 3rd August 2018 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.

Once I uninstalled and re-installed Open Office, everything was fine.

Regards,

Ian Leckenby

Re: Open Office stopped working

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 13:25:55 +0100
Ian Leckenby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Open Office,
>
> I have used Open Office for just over 3 years.
>
> My PC is on Windows 8, 64 bit.
>
> I am using Open Office 4.1.5.
>
> On 3rd August 2018 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.
>
> Once I uninstalled and re-installed Open Office, everything was fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Leckenby

Before that happened, had you had a system or program crash?
--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Open Office stopped working

Kamal Sharma
I try to uninstall it and try to re-install it. But nothing get change
still showing error message. Still showing same error message

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 8:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 13:25:55 +0100
> Ian Leckenby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Open Office,
> >
> > I have used Open Office for just over 3 years.
> >
> > My PC is on Windows 8, 64 bit.
> >
> > I am using Open Office 4.1.5.
> >
> > On 3rd August 2018 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.
> >
> > Once I uninstalled and re-installed Open Office, everything was fine.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ian Leckenby
> >

> Before that happened, had you had a system or program crash?
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Sincerely,
Kamal Sharma

Service Doctors Headquarters
14210-B Sullyfield Circle
Chantilly, VA   20151
(571) 762-4100 (Office)
http://www.servicedoctors.net/

Re: Open Office stopped working

Ian Leckenby
No.

At about 13:20 I edited an important file.

By about 16:30 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.

Files and applications other than Open Office all worked.

On 04/08/2018 13:52, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 13:25:55 +0100
> Ian Leckenby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Open Office,
>>
>> I have used Open Office for just over 3 years.
>>
>> My PC is on Windows 8, 64 bit.
>>
>> I am using Open Office 4.1.5.
>>
>> On 3rd August 2018 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.
>>
>> Once I uninstalled and re-installed Open Office, everything was fine.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ian Leckenby
>>
> Before that happened, had you had a system or program crash?

Re: Open Office stopped working

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 16:55:32 +0100
Ian Leckenby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No.
>
> At about 13:20 I edited an important file.
>
> By about 16:30 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.
>
> Files and applications other than Open Office all worked.
>

> On 04/08/2018 13:52, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 13:25:55 +0100
> > Ian Leckenby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Open Office,
> >>
> >> I have used Open Office for just over 3 years.
> >>
> >> My PC is on Windows 8, 64 bit.
> >>
> >> I am using Open Office 4.1.5.
> >>
> >> On 3rd August 2018 I could not open any .ods or .odt files.
> >>
> >> Once I uninstalled and re-installed Open Office, everything was fine.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Ian Leckenby
> >>
> > Before that happened, had you had a system or program crash?

Try starting TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's tabs.  Note "soffice", with an initial "s"

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Open Office stopped working

Ian Leckenby
Many thanks.

I've saved this tip for the next time it might happen.

As I said, uninstal and re-instal Open Office cured it this time.