Open Office

Paul Chapman-2
I wanted to inform you that your ‘synonyms’ feature in OpenOffice is faulty.  Many times, I this feature has produced erroneous information.  Try the word ‘DICHOTOMY’  It has nothing to do with classifications.  There are many other examples.

I wanted to send you feedback and followed the instructions in your HELP section.  Tools—Options—Open Office—and then there’s supposed to be an Improvement Programme, but it isn’t listed.

I am unable to manually check for updates.

Paul TN Chapman
http://paultnchapman.com

Re: Open Office

Brian Barker
At 07:14 12/02/2018 -0500, Paul Chapman wrote:
>I wanted to inform you that your "synonyms" feature in OpenOffice is faulty.

That's not my feature (or another other user's) but OpenOffice's.

>Many times, I this feature has produced erroneous information.

Remember that no two words are exact synonyms; such help is
presumably designed to suggest words you might need when you know the
one you have entered is not quite the right one. So associated words
are what a synonym dictionary must be all about.

>Try the word "DICHOTOMY" It has nothing to do with classifications.

Dictionary definitions disagree with you:
o division into two parts or classifications, esp when they are
sharply distinguished or opposed
o division of material into two parts for the purpose of classification

>I wanted to send you feedback and followed the instructions in your
>HELP section.

Again, not "my" section.

>Tools--Options--Open Office--and then there's supposed to be an
>Improvement Programme, but it isn't listed.

If you follow the help text carefully, you will see that the second
time you start a new installation of OpenOffice, you are given the
opportunity to participate in this programme or not. You must have
chosen not to: that is why you do not see the relevant entry in
Options - which is used only to switch the facility off again. See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/OpenOffice.org_User_Feedback_Program
. But does this facility still exist?

In any case, this would be no use for your current problem, as it
merely records and reports keystrokes and so on: there would be no
record of your dislike of the offered synonyms. Instead, report
issues at the web site. See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/HowToFileIssue and
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/ .

>I am unable to manually check for updates.

Oh, you can: just go to http://www.openoffice.org/ to see if there is
a newer version.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Open Office

Andrea Pescetti-2
Brian Barker wrote:
> At 07:14 12/02/2018 -0500, Paul Chapman wrote:
>> Tools--Options--Open Office--and then there's supposed to be an
>> Improvement Programme, but it isn't listed. ...
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/OpenOffice.org_User_Feedback_Program
> . But does this facility still exist?

No, it doesn't exist any longer, and thus we no longer prompt the user
to opt-in at installation time.

If Paul found a reference to it in the online help, then we must look
into updating it. We would just need to know where he saw it mentioned.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Open Office

Brian Barker
At 18:19 15/02/2018 +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 07:14 12/02/2018 -0500, Paul Chapman wrote:
>>>Tools--Options--Open Office--and then there's supposed to be an
>>>Improvement Programme, but it isn't listed. ...
>>https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/OpenOffice.org_User_Feedback_Program
>>. But does this facility still exist?
>
>No, it doesn't exist any longer, and thus we no longer prompt the
>user to opt-in at installation time.

Thanks for this correction, and apologies for my error. I did wonder
from the web site's references to 2008 whether it had been discontinued.

>If Paul found a reference to it in the online help, then we must
>look into updating it. We would just need to know where he saw it mentioned.

o There is an entry in the index of the built-in help text for
"improvement program" (at least for my GB version 4.1.4 for Windows).
o The Wiki includes
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/OpenOffice.org_Improvement_Program
.

Brian Barker

Re: Open Office

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2018-02-15, 7:32 AM Brian Barker wrote concerning "Re: Open Office":

>> Many times, I this feature has produced erroneous information.
>
> Remember that no two words are exact synonyms; such help is presumably designed to suggest
> words you might need when you know the one you have entered is not quite the right one. So
> associated words are what a synonym dictionary must be all about.
>
>> Try the word "DICHOTOMY" It has nothing to do with classifications.
>
> Dictionary definitions disagree with you:
> o division into two parts or classifications, esp when they are sharply distinguished or opposed
> o division of material into two parts for the purpose of classification

Classifications is not a synonym for dichotomy. Check any thesaurus
Because classifications is used in the definition of what a dichotomy is does not mean it is a
synonym of of dichotomy. It should not be listed as such by OpenOffice.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Open Office

John Hart-2
On 2/15/2018 2:04 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> Classifications is not a synonym for dichotomy. Check any thesaurus
> Because classifications is used in the definition of what a dichotomy
> is does not mean it is a synonym of of dichotomy. It should not be
> listed as such by OpenOffice.

Dichotomy is a classification, but classification isn't a dichotomy.
Dichotomy belongs in a list of classifications, but not in synonyms of it.
Including it in the list might be a nice feature if the meaning was clear,
otherwise some poor student is going to make a fool of himself.

jrh