Open office multiple instance

shivam educational society
Dear Sir/Madam

I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of Open office.
actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
instant, It is already opened on other instance".
Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
multiple instant.

Regards

Gunjan
9122457970
Mount Litera Zee School

Re: Open office multiple instance

Joost Andrae-2
Hi,

I assume you just started the setup program and installed the
application but this way OpenOffice is not prepared for a multi user
environment. Please take a look at the following WIKI entry:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Collections/Administration_Guide

Am 13.12.2014 um 08:56 schrieb shivam educational society:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of Open office.
> actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
> workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
> packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
> workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
> error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
> instant, It is already opened on other instance".
> Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
> multiple instant.

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Open office multiple instance

Dan Lewis
      The link in nice to know. I clicked on the link, but I could not
find anything of real use in setting up a multi user environment for
OpenOffice.org. It would be much better to also include more specific
directions as to how to reach the section that includes this
information. I, personally don't know where to go from this link other
than to blindly click on some links.

Dan

On 12/13/2014 09:19 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I assume you just started the setup program and installed the
> application but this way OpenOffice is not prepared for a multi user
> environment. Please take a look at the following WIKI entry:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Collections/Administration_Guide
>

> Am 13.12.2014 um 08:56 schrieb shivam educational society:
>> Dear Sir/Madam
>>
>> I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of
>> Open office.
>> actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
>> workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
>> packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
>> workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
>> error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
>> instant, It is already opened on other instance".
>> Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
>> multiple instant.
>>

> Kind regards, Joost

Re: Open office multiple instance

Rajesh Kher
Try this link

http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup_guide/mu_install.html

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>      The link in nice to know. I clicked on the link, but I could not find
> anything of real use in setting up a multi user environment for
> OpenOffice.org. It would be much better to also include more specific
> directions as to how to reach the section that includes this information.
> I, personally don't know where to go from this link other than to blindly
> click on some links.
>
> Dan
>

> On 12/13/2014 09:19 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I assume you just started the setup program and installed the application
>> but this way OpenOffice is not prepared for a multi user environment.
>> Please take a look at the following WIKI entry:
>>
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Collections/
>> Administration_Guide
>>
>> Am 13.12.2014 um 08:56 schrieb shivam educational society:
>>
>>> Dear Sir/Madam
>>>
>>> I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of Open
>>> office.
>>> actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
>>> workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
>>> packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
>>> workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
>>> error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
>>> instant, It is already opened on other instance".
>>> Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
>>> multiple instant.
>>>

>> Kind regards, Joost

Rajesh Kher
CTO

Catvision Ltd.
E14 Sector 8 Noida UP 201310 India
Ph:   911202422110
FAX: 911202422127
MOB:919810298671
WEB: www.catvisionindia.com

Re: Open office multiple instance

Joost Andrae-2
Hi,

yeah this link is much better!

Am 13.12.2014 um 16:36 schrieb Rajesh Kher:
> Try this link
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup_guide/mu_install.html

Kind regards, Joost

RE: Open office multiple instance

Dennis E. Hamilton
Thanks, Joost.

On the Administration Guide, I see several mentions of operating from a network (rather than deploying from a network).  I do not see anything that explains anything about how to install properly for shared operation from a network.

Can you suggest a more specific pointer?

 - Dennis

I assume you just started the setup program and installed the
application but this way OpenOffice is not prepared for a multi user
environment. Please take a look at the following WIKI entry:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Collections/Administration_Guide

Am 13.12.2014 um 08:56 schrieb shivam educational society:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of Open office.
> actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
> workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
> packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
> workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
> error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
> instant, It is already opened on other instance".
> Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
> multiple instant.

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Open office multiple instance

NoOp-4
On 12/12/2014 11:56 PM, shivam educational society wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of Open office.
> actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
> workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
> packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
> workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
> error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
> instant, It is already opened on other instance".
> Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
> multiple instant.
>

> Regards
>
> Gunjan
> 9122457970
> Mount Litera Zee School

Perhaps this will help:

<http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup_guide/mu_install.html>

Re: Open office multiple instance

Regina Henschel

shivam educational society schrieb:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I am facing a problem regarding not opening of multiple instance of Open office.
> actually I am running a LAN for our Computer LAB in which all the
> workstations are connected by N-Computing with Server. Openoffice
> packages are installed on server but it is not opening on all
> workstations. It support only one instant at a time and displays an
> error message on other workstations i.e. "Cannot open on multiple
> instant, It is already opened on other instance".
> Kindly help to resolve this issue, so that it can can be opened on
> multiple instant.

Do you use N-computing as server-terminal solution or do you have
installed virtual machines on the server?

In the first case you only need to run OpenOffice once. But the users
cannot start it with double-click; provide instead a link for each user
which sets the environment by -env:UserInstallation=<path to user
folder>. This approach might work too, when you use virtual machines and
OpenOffice runs on the host, simple try it.

Or if you use virtual machines, let each user install OpenOffice into
his virtual machine and run it in the virtual machine. But that would
contradict the aim of N-Computing to save hardware.

As far as I understand, N-Computing is no server-client solution.

Kind regards
Regina

RE: Open office multiple instance

Dennis E. Hamilton
My impression from the OP is that they want to run AOO on the
server, running it remotely, not using the server for network
installs.  The mu_install.html page is all about network
installs.

I think Regina is pointing in the desired direction, although
I think more details are needed for providing an user's
local or on-server profile with N-Computing.

 - Dennis

PS: I am also curious how the performance will be, depending
on the loads.

Am 13.12.2014 um 16:36 schrieb Rajesh Kher:
> Try this link
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup_guide/mu_install.html

Kind regards, Joost

Re: Open office multiple instance

Rajesh Kher
Dear Denis

Please check the link provided by me and you can see how to install on unix
or windows.

MOB:919810298671
WEB: www.catvisionindia.com

RE: Open office multiple instance

Dennis E. Hamilton
OK, got it.  I read through down through the "Workstation Installation" and I see the difference now.

 - Dennis

Please check the link provided by me and you can see how to install on unix
or windows.

[ ... ]