Open office writer

S F

Open office writer

S F
1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't really
want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
think should be changed.

Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
if we don't like it, open office should change it.

Here's the thing:
It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing. So:

Want this:

Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah.

Get this:

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah.

I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
it. Just change it, please!

It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
professional-looking piece of writing.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Open office writer

Klaus Muth
Hi Steve.

Pressing 'return' in Writer is not about inserting a newline, its about
starting a new paragraph. Just Newline is 'shift-return' - since normally
writer does all newlines dynamically the typical user needs a new paragraph
far more often than a new line - writer is not a old-fashioned typewriter.

That said there are 2 solutions:
1. use shift-return
2. change the paragraph style so that no extra space is added:
   Format/Paragraph, then enter 0 at "Spacing above/below".

I CCed it to your email address, since I do not know wether you subscribed to
the mailing list - please be sure to answer to the mailing list, if you answer.

klaus

Am 03.03.2015 um 06:52 schrieb S F:
[...]

> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing. So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
> double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!
>
> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Freundliche Grüße
--
Klaus Muth
HAGOS eG                   Industriestr. 62     fon:   (+49) 711 78805-7086

HAGOS Verbund deutscher Kachelofen- und Luftheizungsbauerbetriebe eG
Sitz:                      Stuttgart
Rechtsform:                Genossenschaft
Registergericht:           Stuttgart GnR 77
Vorstände:                 Guido Eichel, Ralf Tigges
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Thomas Müller
USt.-ID-Nr.:               DE 147799748

Re: Open office writer

Dave Barton-6
Hi Steve,

My responses are given in-line with your original message.

Re: Open office writer

許哲崇
Please care, as we do.

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
> So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
> double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!
>
> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Re: Open office writer

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 21:52:59 -0800
S F <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing. So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
> double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!
>
> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

You need to chage your approach to OpenOffice.  If you expect it to work like a typewriter, where you format your text by carriage returns, multiple spaces and tabs, then OpenOffoice is the wrong application for you; you should consider a different editing application, such as NotePad or WordPad.

OpenOffice structures a document using Styles.  At first, to get one's head around this takes effort, but in the long run it is well worth while, as OpenOffice can deliver formatted text without much user intervention.  To read about these, see

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Writer/Styles

and for more detailed information about the styles that apply to text, see

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Using_paragraph_styles

Using OpenOffice, when I write any extended work, it is formatted onscreen almost perfectly for printing as I require (A5 pages, printed duplex, ready to bind).

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Open office writer

Johnny Rosenberg

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
> So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.

So just edit your default style then. The distance between paragraphs can
be adjusted in cm or mm or even inches (!) if you like. That's what
settings are for. Different people want different things, so the settings
are there for you to make it behave the way YOU like.

> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer;

Well, you can, you just need to know how to…

> it automatically seems to
> double space.

No, it doesn't. It single spaces, but the distance between lines are
different between paragraphs than between line within a paragraph. If you
just want a new line but no new paragraph, do Shift+Enter rather than just
Enter.

> I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!

If they did, you would be happy and millions of people would be very angry…
Just edit your settings or use Shift+Enter.

> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.

Impossible for you maybe, but now when you know how to do it, you can too!
 :D

There are some useful information in the help files too…

> Thanks,
> Steve

 You're welcome.

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Open office writer

Henk & Gerry
DON'T WRITE ME AGAIN

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't
> really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
> So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.

So just edit your default style then. The distance between paragraphs can
be adjusted in cm or mm or even inches (!) if you like. That's what
settings are for. Different people want different things, so the settings
are there for you to make it behave the way YOU like.

> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer;

Well, you can, you just need to know how to…

> it automatically seems to
> double space.

No, it doesn't. It single spaces, but the distance between lines are
different between paragraphs than between line within a paragraph. If you
just want a new line but no new paragraph, do Shift+Enter rather than just
Enter.

> I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!

If they did, you would be happy and millions of people would be very angry…
Just edit your settings or use Shift+Enter.

> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.

Impossible for you maybe, but now when you know how to do it, you can too!
:D

There are some useful information in the help files too…

> Thanks,
> Steve

You're welcome.

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Open office writer

Henk & Gerry
IT WAS NOT WAT I WAS ASK FOR

BLABLABLA

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't
> really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
> So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.

So just edit your default style then. The distance between paragraphs can
be adjusted in cm or mm or even inches (!) if you like. That's what
settings are for. Different people want different things, so the settings
are there for you to make it behave the way YOU like.

> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer;

Well, you can, you just need to know how to…

> it automatically seems to
> double space.

No, it doesn't. It single spaces, but the distance between lines are
different between paragraphs than between line within a paragraph. If you
just want a new line but no new paragraph, do Shift+Enter rather than just
Enter.

> I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!

If they did, you would be happy and millions of people would be very angry…
Just edit your settings or use Shift+Enter.

> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.

Impossible for you maybe, but now when you know how to do it, you can too!
:D

There are some useful information in the help files too…

> Thanks,
> Steve

You're welcome.

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Open office writer

Johnny Rosenberg

> IT WAS NOT WAT I WAS ASK FOR

This is a mailing list, nobody is writing to you specifically. We all write
to the list, and everyone who's subscribed to the list will receive
everything written to it, including this. If you don't want it, simply
unsubscribe. Information about how to do that is included in every message
in this list, but I'll copy and paste it for you right here:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> BLABLABLA
>

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Johnny Rosenberg
> Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:12 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Open office writer

>  1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't
>> really
>> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
>> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
>> think should be changed.
>>
>> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
>> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>>
>> Here's the thing:
>> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
>> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
>> So:
>>
>> Want this:
>>
>> Blah blah blah
>> Blah blah blah.
>>
>> Get this:
>>
>> Blah blah blah
>>
>> Blah blah blah.
>>

> So just edit your default style then. The distance between paragraphs can
> be adjusted in cm or mm or even inches (!) if you like. That's what
> settings are for. Different people want different things, so the settings
> are there for you to make it behave the way YOU like.
>

>> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
>> space on every app except open office writer;
>>

> Well, you can, you just need to know how to…
>

>  it automatically seems to
>> double space.
>>

> No, it doesn't. It single spaces, but the distance between lines are
> different between paragraphs than between line within a paragraph. If you
> just want a new line but no new paragraph, do Shift+Enter rather than just
> Enter.
>

>  I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
>> it. Just change it, please!
>>

> If they did, you would be happy and millions of people would be very angry…
> Just edit your settings or use Shift+Enter.
>

>> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
>> professional-looking piece of writing.
>>

> Impossible for you maybe, but now when you know how to do it, you can too!
> :D
>
> There are some useful information in the help files too…
>

>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

> You're welcome.
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Open office writer

Dale Erwin-2
On 3/3/2015 12:52 AM, S F wrote:

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing. So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
> double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!
>
> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Sounds like you want a piece of software that's engineered to your
specifications and screw the rest of the world and what they prefer.
Right?  Well, Open Office is open source which means you can modify it
to do whatever you want it to.  But you probably want someone else to do
it for you and for free, Right?.
How can you ever get a professional-looking piece of writing when you
can't be bothered to learn how to operate the software?

Re: Open office writer

ArbolOne
Anyone might scold you for being so rude in your reply,Dale, specially me,
since I agree with Steve, but I am not that kind of person. However, who in
their right mind would presents a business proposal or write a business
letter double spaced? Dale! one might say, but that is because Dale is in
High School and HS students double space their homework so that teachers can
write correction notes. We, in the professional world, do not double space
our business letters.

> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't
> really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
> So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer; it automatically seems to
> double space. I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!
>
> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Sounds like you want a piece of software that's engineered to your
specifications and screw the rest of the world and what they prefer.
Right?  Well, Open Office is open source which means you can modify it
to do whatever you want it to.  But you probably want someone else to do
it for you and for free, Right?.
How can you ever get a professional-looking piece of writing when you
can't be bothered to learn how to operate the software?

Re: Open office writer

Jim McLaughlin
There was nothing improper or rude in Dale's reply.

SPF  deserved exactly the mild response Dale provided.

The only rudeness I see is the sophomoric insult about Dale being a  high
schooler.

On 3/4/2015 5:53 AM, ArbolOne wrote:
> Anyone might scold you for being so rude in your reply,Dale, specially
> me, since I agree with Steve, but I am not that kind of person.
> However, who in their right mind would presents a business proposal or
> write a business letter double spaced? Dale! one might say, but that
> is because Dale is in High School and HS students double space their
> homework so that teachers can write correction notes. We, in the
> professional world, do not double space our business letters.

If he would learn how to operate the software, he would not have double
spaced letters where he did not want them, but he did not want to be
bothered by that.  He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that he didn't want to
know why it did what it did and he didn't want to know how to get around
it and it should just be changed to work the way he wanted it to work.
To me that is rude and does not deserve any less in return.

I graduated from high school in 1951... probably before you were born.