OpenGrok

12

OpenGrok

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello all.

The status is, I installed tomcat 9 and a new open grok version some time ago.
But where overwhelmed with the tomcat configuration. So I need help there.

Additionally I need to update both to the latest version. And the repo needs to be switched from  svn to git

 Since there is need I could pririze up and spend some time tonight on this topic.
Will be online in slack.

Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org

All the best
 Peter

Re: OpenGrok

Dave Fisher-3
Peter,

I understand Tomcat what are the issues? Is it the server configuration or what? Point me to the files and the messages?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 11:17 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all.
>
> The status is, I installed tomcat 9 and a new open grok version some time ago.
> But where overwhelmed with the tomcat configuration. So I need help there.
>
> Additionally I need to update both to the latest version. And the repo needs to be switched from  svn to git
>
> Since there is need I could pririze up and spend some time tonight on this topic.
> Will be online in slack.
>
> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
>
> All the best
> Peter

Re: OpenGrok

Ariel Constenla-Haile-3
Hi there,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org

Is this server managed by ASF infra with puppet or is it possible to
gain root access to do the installation?
I've just tested with tomcat 9.0.27 and opengrok 1.3.3. Tomcat is
quite straightforward, it would be better to use the packages provided
by the VM's system.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Buenos Aires
Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Peter Kovacs-3
It is our VM with root access. I think you need to ask infra for root access if there is an issue let me know I arrange for the missing stuff.

The Ubuntu machine only offered a tomcat 7, newer opengrok need at least tomcat 8. So I decided in favour of a newer opengrok version.

Am 17. Oktober 2019 14:03:39 MESZ schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]>:

>Hi there,
>
>On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>[...]
>> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
>
>Is this server managed by ASF infra with puppet or is it possible to
>gain root access to do the installation?
>I've just tested with tomcat 9.0.27 and opengrok 1.3.3. Tomcat is
>quite straightforward, it would be better to use the packages provided
>by the VM's system.
>
>Regards
>--
>Ariel Constenla-Haile
>La Plata, Buenos Aires
>Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

We can ask Infra for a newer Ubuntu 18 and, if necessary, a current Tomcat 8.5 / 9. That’s easy to do.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 17, 2019, at 6:09 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is our VM with root access. I think you need to ask infra for root access if there is an issue let me know I arrange for the missing stuff.
>
> The Ubuntu machine only offered a tomcat 7, newer opengrok need at least tomcat 8. So I decided in favour of a newer opengrok version.
>

> Am 17. Oktober 2019 14:03:39 MESZ schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi there,
>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
>>
>> Is this server managed by ASF infra with puppet or is it possible to
>> gain root access to do the installation?
>> I've just tested with tomcat 9.0.27 and opengrok 1.3.3. Tomcat is
>> quite straightforward, it would be better to use the packages provided
>> by the VM's system.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> La Plata, Buenos Aires
>> Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Peter Kovacs-3
Cool. I did not know. +1

Am 17. Oktober 2019 16:28:34 MESZ schrieb Dave Fisher <[hidden email]>:

>Hi -
>
>We can ask Infra for a newer Ubuntu 18 and, if necessary, a current
>Tomcat 8.5 / 9. That’s easy to do.
>
>Regards,
>Dave
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 17, 2019, at 6:09 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It is our VM with root access. I think you need to ask infra for root
>access if there is an issue let me know I arrange for the missing
>stuff.
>>
>> The Ubuntu machine only offered a tomcat 7, newer opengrok need at
>least tomcat 8. So I decided in favour of a newer opengrok version.
>>

>> Am 17. Oktober 2019 14:03:39 MESZ schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile
><[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi there,

>>> Is this server managed by ASF infra with puppet or is it possible to
>>> gain root access to do the installation?
>>> I've just tested with tomcat 9.0.27 and opengrok 1.3.3. Tomcat is
>>> quite straightforward, it would be better to use the packages
>provided
>>> by the VM's system.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>>> La Plata, Buenos Aires
>>> Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Ariel Constenla-Haile-3
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 10:08 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is our VM with root access. I think you need to ask infra for root access if there is an issue let me know I arrange for the missing stuff.

I requested access on INFRA-19293

> The Ubuntu machine only offered a tomcat 7, newer opengrok need at least tomcat 8. So I decided in favour of a newer opengrok version.

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS has tomcat 9

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Buenos Aires
Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Ariel Constenla-Haile-3
Hi *,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org

A first attempt is now live at http://openoffice-vm1-he-de.apache.org

It has trunk/master and AOO42X and AOO418 branches indexed.
Tomcat is behind mod_proxy_ajp, I've seen that http://androidxref.com/
uses Apache Coyote, which is said to be a better configuration, but
I've no idea how to use it, if someone is in the know, just comment.

Try it and comment if you find errors, and think of a subdomain name,
for example source.openoffice.org, opengrok.openoffice.org,
xref.openoffice.org, etc.
I'll try to puppetize as much as I can, but opengrok needs manual intervention.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Buenos Aires
Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

> On Oct 18, 2019, at 4:26 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi *,
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
>
> A first attempt is now live at http://openoffice-vm1-he-de.apache.org

I tried it and it seems to work OK.

> It has trunk/master and AOO42X and AOO418 branches indexed.
> Tomcat is behind mod_proxy_ajp, I've seen that http://androidxref.com/
> uses Apache Coyote, which is said to be a better configuration, but
> I've no idea how to use it, if someone is in the know, just comment.

I don’t think it matters much which one is used or even if Tomcat is behind HTTPD.

If it works then I think it is fine.

> Try it and comment if you find errors, and think of a subdomain name,
> for example source.openoffice.org, opengrok.openoffice.org,
> xref.openoffice.org, etc.

opengrok.openoffice.org is good with me.

> I'll try to puppetize as much as I can, but opengrok needs manual intervention.

Thanks. Looking forward to your work. Any thoughts on what Jim noticed with Xcode versions and Mojave?

I would not complain if we pushed the current version of MacOS to something more recent than 10.7 Lion.

Regards,
Dave

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Buenos Aires
> Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Ariel Constenla-Haile-3
Hi Dave,

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks. Looking forward to your work. Any thoughts on what Jim noticed with Xcode versions and Mojave?
>
> I would not complain if we pushed the current version of MacOS to something more recent than 10.7 Lion.

I could build trunk on macOS Catalina and Xcode 11.0 (11A420a) with a
few hacks, and yes, it requires to change the system runtime
requirement to macOS 10.9, which deserves to increase 4.1.x to 4.2.0;
but in the meantime, 4.1.7 can be fixed to remove QTKit while still
building with target 10.7.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Buenos Aires
Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Damjan Jovanovic
Thank you so much!

It works well.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 1:26 AM Ariel Constenla-Haile <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
>
> A first attempt is now live at http://openoffice-vm1-he-de.apache.org
>
> It has trunk/master and AOO42X and AOO418 branches indexed.
> Tomcat is behind mod_proxy_ajp, I've seen that http://androidxref.com/
> uses Apache Coyote, which is said to be a better configuration, but
> I've no idea how to use it, if someone is in the know, just comment.
>
> Try it and comment if you find errors, and think of a subdomain name,
> for example source.openoffice.org, opengrok.openoffice.org,
> xref.openoffice.org, etc.
> I'll try to puppetize as much as I can, but opengrok needs manual
> intervention.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Buenos Aires
> Argentina

Re: OpenGrok

Matthias Seidel
Hi Ariel,

Am 19.10.19 um 01:26 schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> Hi *,
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
> A first attempt is now live at http://openoffice-vm1-he-de.apache.org
>
> It has trunk/master and AOO42X and AOO418 branches indexed.

Great! Works good for me.

Thank you for your work.

> Tomcat is behind mod_proxy_ajp, I've seen that http://androidxref.com/
> uses Apache Coyote, which is said to be a better configuration, but
> I've no idea how to use it, if someone is in the know, just comment.
>
> Try it and comment if you find errors, and think of a subdomain name,
> for example source.openoffice.org, opengrok.openoffice.org,
> xref.openoffice.org, etc.

opengrok.openoffice.org would be my personal favorite.

Regards,

   Matthias

> I'll try to puppetize as much as I can, but opengrok needs manual intervention.
>
> Regards

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: OpenGrok

Patricia Shanahan
+1

On 10/18/2019 6:04 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> Thank you so much!
>
> It works well.
>

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 1:26 AM Ariel Constenla-Haile <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:15 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Server is openoffice-vm1-he-de.Apache. Org
>>
>> A first attempt is now live at http://openoffice-vm1-he-de.apache.org
>>
>> It has trunk/master and AOO42X and AOO418 branches indexed.
>> Tomcat is behind mod_proxy_ajp, I've seen that http://androidxref.com/
>> uses Apache Coyote, which is said to be a better configuration, but
>> I've no idea how to use it, if someone is in the know, just comment.
>>
>> Try it and comment if you find errors, and think of a subdomain name,
>> for example source.openoffice.org, opengrok.openoffice.org,
>> xref.openoffice.org, etc.
>> I'll try to puppetize as much as I can, but opengrok needs manual
>> intervention.
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> La Plata, Buenos Aires
>> Argentina

Mac Builds

Dave Fisher-2
Hi Ariel,

> On Oct 18, 2019, at 5:18 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks. Looking forward to your work. Any thoughts on what Jim noticed with Xcode versions and Mojave?
>>
>> I would not complain if we pushed the current version of MacOS to something more recent than 10.7 Lion.
>
> I could build trunk on macOS Catalina and Xcode 11.0 (11A420a) with a
> few hacks, and yes, it requires to change the system runtime
> requirement to macOS 10.9, which deserves to increase 4.1.x to 4.2.0;
> but in the meantime, 4.1.7 can be fixed to remove QTKit while still
> building with target 10.7.

Jim has been doing the Mac builds. It would be good if you two could get together and document your hacks. I would then willingly test the instructions on my system.

Regards,
Dave

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Buenos Aires
> Argentina

Re: Mac Builds

Jim Jagielski-2
Yes, please. I've been playing around and some issues are related to how, in moving to Mojave/Catalina, Apple removed some *.o files from /usr/lib, as well as some issues related to Xcode11 in general. I was hoping to have a single setup that allows for both 4.1.x and 4.2.x+later but that doesn't seem viable.

Yeah, I think it's time to consider making macOS 10.9 the min allowed for 4.2.x+later.

Quite interested in the QTkit fix.

My setup is documented on the Wiki and, of course, the canon build scripts.

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 12:41 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ariel,
>
>> On Oct 18, 2019, at 5:18 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:53 PM Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks. Looking forward to your work. Any thoughts on what Jim noticed with Xcode versions and Mojave?
>>>
>>> I would not complain if we pushed the current version of MacOS to something more recent than 10.7 Lion.
>>
>> I could build trunk on macOS Catalina and Xcode 11.0 (11A420a) with a
>> few hacks, and yes, it requires to change the system runtime
>> requirement to macOS 10.9, which deserves to increase 4.1.x to 4.2.0;
>> but in the meantime, 4.1.7 can be fixed to remove QTKit while still
>> building with target 10.7.
>
> Jim has been doing the Mac builds. It would be good if you two could get together and document your hacks. I would then willingly test the instructions on my system.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> La Plata, Buenos Aires
>> Argentina

Re: Mac Builds

Jim Jagielski-2
FTR: I am able to continue to build 4.2.x and trunk w/ the current system which *also* builds 4.1.x... and which maintains the 10.7 min macOS capability.

Whether we continue to use this setup for our canon community builds for 4.2.x and later is another discussion. I agree that if we can start building w/ Mojave/Catalina and Xcode11 that would be great.

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, please. I've been playing around and some issues are related to how, in moving to Mojave/Catalina, Apple removed some *.o files from /usr/lib, as well as some issues related to Xcode11 in general. I was hoping to have a single setup that allows for both 4.1.x and 4.2.x+later but that doesn't seem viable.
>
> Yeah, I think it's time to consider making macOS 10.9 the min allowed for 4.2.x+later.
>
> Quite interested in the QTkit fix.
>
> My setup is documented on the Wiki and, of course, the canon build scripts.
>
>> On Oct 19, 2019, at 12:41 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ariel,
>>
>>> On Oct 18, 2019, at 5:18 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dave,

>>> I could build trunk on macOS Catalina and Xcode 11.0 (11A420a) with a
>>> few hacks, and yes, it requires to change the system runtime
>>> requirement to macOS 10.9, which deserves to increase 4.1.x to 4.2.0;
>>> but in the meantime, 4.1.7 can be fixed to remove QTKit while still
>>> building with target 10.7.
>>
>> Jim has been doing the Mac builds. It would be good if you two could get together and document your hacks. I would then willingly test the instructions on my system.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>>> La Plata, Buenos Aires
>>> Argentina

Re: Mac Builds

Jim Jagielski-2
Sorry for the top-post but also FTR: the system I'm using *is* Notarization compatible for 4.2.x and later:

    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution>

High Sierra, Xcode10.

For 4.1.x I need to use Xcode7, which is NOT compatible.... so if we can fix the QTKit stuff, and start building 4.1.x with Xcode10, at least, that would be great. Super interested in what hacks needed to be done to handle that!

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 1:20 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> FTR: I am able to continue to build 4.2.x and trunk w/ the current system which *also* builds 4.1.x... and which maintains the 10.7 min macOS capability.
>
> Whether we continue to use this setup for our canon community builds for 4.2.x and later is another discussion. I agree that if we can start building w/ Mojave/Catalina and Xcode11 that would be great.
>
>> On Oct 19, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, please. I've been playing around and some issues are related to how, in moving to Mojave/Catalina, Apple removed some *.o files from /usr/lib, as well as some issues related to Xcode11 in general. I was hoping to have a single setup that allows for both 4.1.x and 4.2.x+later but that doesn't seem viable.
>>
>> Yeah, I think it's time to consider making macOS 10.9 the min allowed for 4.2.x+later.
>>
>> Quite interested in the QTkit fix.
>>
>> My setup is documented on the Wiki and, of course, the canon build scripts.
>>
>>> On Oct 19, 2019, at 12:41 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ariel,

>>> Jim has been doing the Mac builds. It would be good if you two could get together and document your hacks. I would then willingly test the instructions on my system.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

Re: Mac Builds

Ariel Constenla-Haile-3
Hi Jim,

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, please. I've been playing around and some issues are related to how, in moving to Mojave/Catalina, Apple removed some *.o files from /usr/lib, as well as some issues related to Xcode11 in general. I was hoping to have a single setup that allows for both 4.1.x and 4.2.x+later but that doesn't seem viable.
>
> Yeah, I think it's time to consider making macOS 10.9 the min allowed for 4.2.x+later.

I build on Catalina basically with

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="10.9"
MACOSX_SDK_PATH="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk"

Some of the external dependencies need some tweaking because in
Catalina there are no system headers on /usr/include (the workaround
for Mojave does not work for Catalina, there is no package with the
headers to install).
And OpenSSL is a problem, I don't recall the rationale to build with
system openssl on macOS, but now it makes sense to build the internal
version.

> Quite interested in the QTkit fix.

The fix is quite trivial and should work with 10.7 (I can only test on
Catalina ATM), the AV Foundation port was already done by hdu, it's on
trunk, I'll remove the QTKit bits and cherry-pick in aoo418.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Buenos Aires
Argentina

Re: Mac Builds

Jim Jagielski

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 8:54 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, please. I've been playing around and some issues are related to how, in moving to Mojave/Catalina, Apple removed some *.o files from /usr/lib, as well as some issues related to Xcode11 in general. I was hoping to have a single setup that allows for both 4.1.x and 4.2.x+later but that doesn't seem viable.
>>
>> Yeah, I think it's time to consider making macOS 10.9 the min allowed for 4.2.x+later.
>
> I build on Catalina basically with
>
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="10.9"
> MACOSX_SDK_PATH="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk"
>
> Some of the external dependencies need some tweaking because in
> Catalina there are no system headers on /usr/include (the workaround
> for Mojave does not work for Catalina, there is no package with the
> headers to install).
> And OpenSSL is a problem, I don't recall the rationale to build with
> system openssl on macOS, but now it makes sense to build the internal
> version.

What is interesting is that if one uses CC=clang, then all works OK... The problem is that we check for the full path via xcrun which uses the full pathname and thus, we need the headers.

I'm looking at:

    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/337940/why-is-usr-include-missing-i-have-xcode-and-command-line-tools-installed-moja

for hints and they are working out.

>> Quite interested in the QTkit fix.
>
> The fix is quite trivial and should work with 10.7 (I can only test on
> Catalina ATM), the AV Foundation port was already done by hdu, it's on
> trunk, I'll remove the QTKit bits and cherry-pick in aoo418.
>
> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Buenos Aires
> Argentina

Re: Mac Builds

Jim Jagielski

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 8:54 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> MACOSX_SDK_PATH="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk"

I usually do:

  MACOSX_SDK_PATH=`xcrun --show-sdk-path`

12