OpenOffice 2.0 Opening Excel 2002 Password Protected Files

OpenOffice 2.0 Opening Excel 2002 Password Protected Files

Cheryl Baker
Hello,

We are in the testing stage of migrating our sales team from MS Office
to OpenOffice.org2.0.  The management team creates Execl workbooks that
are password protected and the sales reps need to access and view these
workbooks.  During a test, we had a user open an Excel 2002 password
protected workbook in OpenOffice Calc 2.0.  The user was prompted for
the password to open the spreadsheet but the option to view the document
in read-only mode was not provided.  Therefore the user was able to add
information to the spreadsheet and save those changes.  We want the
sales team to use Calc to open password protected Excel workbooks but
not be able to edit and save changes.  We have Excel Viewer but a sales
rep can still use OpenOffice.  Is there anyway to achieve this using
CALC and Excel?

Thank you

Cheryl Baker

Bisk  Education

9417 Princess Palm Ave.

Tampa, FL  33619

813-621-6200 ext. 615

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.

If you have received this communication in error, or would like to have us stop contacting you, please notify me immediately.

Re: OpenOffice 2.0 Opening Excel 2002 Password Protected Files

CPHennessy
On Thu November 17 2005 14:40, + Cheryl Baker wrote:

>  [ MODERATED ] ********************
> Hello,
>

> We are in the testing stage of migrating our sales team from MS Office
> to OpenOffice.org2.0.  The management team creates Execl workbooks that
> are password protected and the sales reps need to access and view these
> workbooks.  During a test, we had a user open an Excel 2002 password
> protected workbook in OpenOffice Calc 2.0.  The user was prompted for
> the password to open the spreadsheet but the option to view the document
> in read-only mode was not provided.  Therefore the user was able to add
> information to the spreadsheet and save those changes.  We want the
> sales team to use Calc to open password protected Excel workbooks but
> not be able to edit and save changes.  We have Excel Viewer but a sales
> rep can still use OpenOffice.  Is there anyway to achieve this using
> CALC and Excel?

I think that it should be possible by also setting a password on the sheet as
well as the file. "Tools" -> "Protect Document" -> "Sheet".

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ