OpenOffice 4.1.8 release

Richard Walker
While logged in as the administrator, the newest OpenOffice release for
Windows installs almost all the way and then gives an error message that
permission doesn't exist for c:\public\users\desktop and I need to log in
as administrator (which I have done) or I should contact the system
administrator (yeah, right).
Thought you might want to know.  It seems like most years I have to swap
from OpenOffice to LibreOffice ... and then back again.  I have wondered
more than once if those working on these packages "EVER" test their
releases before sending them out the door.
So, for now, back to LibreOffice until they goof up next time.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.8 release

David Robley
I assume you are using Windows 10; you may be encountering issues with
Windows Defender or an antivirus program; For Defender, see
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507

Alternatively AV may be blocking access - you'll need to consult
documentation for whatever AV you are using to determine how to resolve
the blocking.

Either way the problem would not be with OpenOffice.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 23/11/20 5:05 pm, Richard Walker wrote:

> While logged in as the administrator, the newest OpenOffice release for
> Windows installs almost all the way and then gives an error message that
> permission doesn't exist for c:\public\users\desktop and I need to log in
> as administrator (which I have done) or I should contact the system
> administrator (yeah, right).
> Thought you might want to know.  It seems like most years I have to swap
> from OpenOffice to LibreOffice ... and then back again.  I have wondered
> more than once if those working on these packages "EVER" test their
> releases before sending them out the door.
> So, for now, back to LibreOffice until they goof up next time.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Breathing may be hazardous to your health.

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.8 release

Hugo Costa
 I always like the help of the advisors here.  And read them. I learn.  But I always disagree with the concept "The problem would not be with OpenOffice"   so repeated in this forum.  The first message go to the point " the developers never prove it before "  ????
 It is obvious, obvious,  we are going to use it in windows 10..    95% of the market.  So, why putting a new version for us, "THEY"   don't know that it does not   work on windows..? How is that?..  The problem  is with the new versions of Open Office developers... Yes, the problem is with Open Office..  Be humble and accept it.
But if we try to put this as a bug for them, they do not let  us...    On Monday, November 23, 2020, 05:04:31 AM GMT-3, David Robley <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I assume you are using Windows 10; you may be encountering issues with
Windows Defender or an antivirus program; For Defender, see
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=97507

Alternatively AV may be blocking access - you'll need to consult
documentation for whatever AV you are using to determine how to resolve
the blocking.

Either way the problem would not be with OpenOffice.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 23/11/20 5:05 pm, Richard Walker wrote:

> While logged in as the administrator, the newest OpenOffice release for
> Windows installs almost all the way and then gives an error message that
> permission doesn't exist for c:\public\users\desktop and I need to log in
> as administrator (which I have done) or I should contact the system
> administrator (yeah, right).
> Thought you might want to know.  It seems like most years I have to swap
> from OpenOffice to LibreOffice ... and then back again.  I have wondered
> more than once if those working on these packages "EVER" test their
> releases before sending them out the door.
> So, for now, back to LibreOffice until they goof up next time.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Breathing may be hazardous to your health.

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.8 release

Keith N. McKenna
On 11/23/2020 8:44 AM, Hugo Costa wrote:
>  for them, they do not let  us...    On Monday, November 23, 20
Hugo;

Apache OpenOffice does work on Windows 10 as I have it open on Windows
10 right know and I also did extensive testing with it before it was
released. Windows Defender is getting very aggressive about not allowing
you to install applications not from their app store without extra
rigamarole.

Also this is not a bug tracking system, it is just users of the software
like your self offering support on there free time. I have seen more
than once on both here and on the Forum that people will suggest that
someone enter a bug in Bugzilla or will do it themselves.

Regards
Keith

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.8 release

Maurice Howe-2
Keith, just a language nit: "on there free time" should be "on their free
time".

Maurice, the official nitpicker...