OpenOffice Database Question

Louis Daigle
How can I get a report to run from a querry?

Also, do I need to join a group or something like that?

Thanks

Louis

Re: OpenOffice Database Question

Girvin Herr-2
Louis,

The short answer is: you can't from OpenOffice. There is no Report
Generator bundled with OpenOffice. There used to be a Report Generator
extension, but that was not maintained and is no longer compatible with
the later OO versions. I keep LibreOffice installed to run my reports
because LO still has a bundled Report Generator. I use OpenOffice to do
everything else because I think OO is more stable.

I am not sure what you mean by "join a group", since "join" is a
database-word. If you mean to join database tables, that depends on your
database structure. If you mean to join a user's group, then that is
your choice. But if you do not join the user's group, you may not see
the responses to your questions.

HTH.

Girvin Herr

On 10/26/2017 01:41 PM, Louis Daigle wrote:

> How can I get a report to run from a querry?
>

> Also, do I need to join a group or something like that?
>

> Thanks
>

> Louis

Re: OpenOffice Database Question

Martin Groenescheij

On 27/10/17 8:04 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:
> Louis,
>
> The short answer is: you can't from OpenOffice. There is no Report
> Generator bundled with OpenOffice. There used to be a Report Generator
> extension, but that was not maintained and is no longer compatible
> with the later OO versions.

The Oracle Report Builder is still working and can be downloaded here
<https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder>.

On 10/26/2017 03:33 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 27/10/17 8:04 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:
>> Louis,
>>
>> The short answer is: you can't from OpenOffice. There is no Report
>> Generator bundled with OpenOffice. There used to be a Report
>> Generator extension, but that was not maintained and is no longer
>> compatible with the later OO versions.
>
> The Oracle Report Builder is still working and can be downloaded here
> <https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder>.

Maybe so, but the last update was in 2007 and this page still shows it
as 3.x compatible, not 4.x. That said, I will test it with 4.1.4 and see
if it works for me.
Girvin Herr

RE: OpenOffice Database Question

Louis Daigle

> The short answer is: you can't from OpenOffice. There is no Report
> Generator bundled with OpenOffice. There used to be a Report Generator
> extension, but that was not maintained and is no longer compatible
> with the later OO versions.

The Oracle Report Builder is still working and can be downloaded here
<https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder>.

> I keep LibreOffice installed to run my reports because LO still has a
> bundled Report Generator. I use OpenOffice to do everything else
> because I think OO is more stable.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "join a group", since "join" is a
> database-word. If you mean to join database tables, that depends on
> your database structure. If you mean to join a user's group, then that
> is your choice. But if you do not join the user's group, you may not
> see the responses to your questions.
>
> HTH.
>
> Girvin Herr
>

> On 10/26/2017 01:41 PM, Louis Daigle wrote:
>> How can I get a report to run from a querry?
>>

>> Also, do I need to join a group or something like that?
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Louis

---

RE: OpenOffice Database Question

Louis Daigle
I'm using Open Office 4.1.3 and in the database module, there is are 4
icons, "databases", "queries", "forms" and "reports".
I generate a report from a query.  I just need to learn how to format the
report.
Also, why would a person want a database if they could not get a report on
the info in the database?

Join a group,  for instance, yahoo has many groups.  You join the group and
then you can post questions and have people provide answers, info.  Same
with QuickBooks and most software.

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks for the reply.

> The short answer is: you can't from OpenOffice. There is no Report
> Generator bundled with OpenOffice. There used to be a Report Generator
> extension, but that was not maintained and is no longer compatible
> with the later OO versions.

The Oracle Report Builder is still working and can be downloaded here
<https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-report-builder>.

> I keep LibreOffice installed to run my reports because LO still has a
> bundled Report Generator. I use OpenOffice to do everything else
> because I think OO is more stable.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "join a group", since "join" is a
> database-word. If you mean to join database tables, that depends on
> your database structure. If you mean to join a user's group, then that
> is your choice. But if you do not join the user's group, you may not
> see the responses to your questions.
>
> HTH.
>
> Girvin Herr
>

> On 10/26/2017 01:41 PM, Louis Daigle wrote:
>> How can I get a report to run from a querry?
>>

>> Also, do I need to join a group or something like that?
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Louis

---

On 10/27/2017 01:20 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm using Open Office 4.1.3 and in the database module, there is are 4
> icons, "databases", "queries", "forms" and "reports".
> I generate a report from a query.  I just need to learn how to format the
> report.
The Report Generator (aka Report Builder) is a graphical way to design
and edit reports, test them, display the results, and print them. The
report generator takes the report query as input and allows you to
specify what and where on the page you want a piece of data. You can
also group data, calculate totals, change fonts, orientation, etc. The
Report Generator output is fed to AOO Writer or to AOO Calc for display
and printing. I use Writer, but that is my preference. If you do not
have the Report Generator extension installed, then when you select
"Reports" -> [select report] -> "Edit" and log in to your database
server, you will get a message similar to this:
     The document "[report name]" could not be opened.
     The report "[report name]" requires the extension Oracle Report
Builder.

This may be a good place to start getting information on the report
generator:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Getting_Started_With_the_Report_Builder_Extension
> Also, why would a person want a database if they could not get a report on
> the info in the database?
Why, indeed!

> Join a group,  for instance, yahoo has many groups.  You join the group and
> then you can post questions and have people provide answers, info.  Same
> with QuickBooks and most software.
The "group" in this case is this forum. Yes, I would recommend joining
this forum if you want to ask questions about problems you are having
with AOO. Keep in mind, the forum is made up of users like yourself, who
may or may not, have more experience than yourself to help out. Note
that there are other ways to access this forum, but I have no experience
with them. Perhaps someone else can address that.

HTH.
Girvin Herr

> I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.
>
> Thanks for the reply.

vinayak mahajan
I want to unsubscribe  from this mailing list. How I can ?

________________________________
On 10/27/2017 01:20 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm using Open Office 4.1.3 and in the database module, there is are 4
> icons, "databases", "queries", "forms" and "reports".
> I generate a report from a query.  I just need to learn how to format the
> report.
The Report Generator (aka Report Builder) is a graphical way to design
and edit reports, test them, display the results, and print them. The
report generator takes the report query as input and allows you to
specify what and where on the page you want a piece of data. You can
also group data, calculate totals, change fonts, orientation, etc. The
Report Generator output is fed to AOO Writer or to AOO Calc for display
and printing. I use Writer, but that is my preference. If you do not
have the Report Generator extension installed, then when you select
"Reports" -> [select report] -> "Edit" and log in to your database
server, you will get a message similar to this:
     The document "[report name]" could not be opened.
     The report "[report name]" requires the extension Oracle Report
Builder.

This may be a good place to start getting information on the report
generator:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Getting_Started_With_the_Report_Builder_Extension
> Also, why would a person want a database if they could not get a report on
> the info in the database?
Why, indeed!

> Join a group,  for instance, yahoo has many groups.  You join the group and
> then you can post questions and have people provide answers, info.  Same
> with QuickBooks and most software.
The "group" in this case is this forum. Yes, I would recommend joining
this forum if you want to ask questions about problems you are having
with AOO. Keep in mind, the forum is made up of users like yourself, who
may or may not, have more experience than yourself to help out. Note
that there are other ways to access this forum, but I have no experience
with them. Perhaps someone else can address that.

HTH.
Girvin Herr

> I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.
>
> Thanks for the reply.

Keith N. McKenna
On 10/29/2017 1:32 PM, vinayak mahajan wrote:
> I want to unsubscribe  from this mailing list. How I can ?
>

> Sent from Outlook<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>
>
><snip>
Go to
https://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#users-mailing-list-public
and send an e-mail to the unsubscribe link and reply to the confirmation
e-mail you will receive.

Regards
Keith