OpenOffice Writer Source Code Study

Lucrecia Llerena-3
Dear

I am doing my thesis with the topic: Procedure Formalized for the
Incorporation of Usability Techniques in the Open Source Software
Development Process.

Based on the research I am doing I will propose improvements, although I am
clear if these recommendations are or will not be considered by you the
developers of the project. In any case as part of my thesis, I have to
study the OPENOFFICE WRITER source code, please indicate how I identify the
module that allows me to make improvements in the OPENOFFICE WRITER User
Interface according to my needs.

In this link (https://github.com/apache/openoffice) I downloaded all the
source code of OPENOFFICE but I do not specifically locate what I have to
do with WRITER. I ask you to tell me where to start and give me technical
information such as, which is developed in C ++ and how should I compile it.

I would appreciate your advice to continue my research.

In the end I will share the results of my thesis.

Eternally grateful

Lucrecia

Re: OpenOffice Writer Source Code Study

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:06:50 +0200
Lucrecia Llerena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear
>

> I am doing my thesis with the topic: Procedure Formalized for the
> Incorporation of Usability Techniques in the Open Source Software
> Development Process.
>

> Based on the research I am doing I will propose improvements, although I am
> clear if these recommendations are or will not be considered by you the
> developers of the project. In any case as part of my thesis, I have to
> study the OPENOFFICE WRITER source code, please indicate how I identify the
> module that allows me to make improvements in the OPENOFFICE WRITER User
> Interface according to my needs.

You might use the Opengrok source code searcher to identify relevant sections of OpenOffice code
engrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/

It may also be that "improvements" in any OpenOffice module can be achieved by writing an Extension or an Add-on
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Development

RoryOF

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: OpenOffice Writer Source Code Study

Peter Kovacs-3
Welcome Lucrecia!

I am not sure what you want to do. Is it possible to share your abstract
to the list? - I am interested to read.
Maybe it would make sense to go for an extention instead work yourself
through the code. But I am not sure if your scope fits into an extention.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development

If an Extention is sufficient to you, it could be also released
seperatly as an alternative to the default.
Also might not have to deal with all the mess in the code. Makeing your
work more Productive.

I whish you good start and a lot of fun.

All the best
Peter

On 14.07.2017 11:06, Lucrecia Llerena wrote:

> Dear
>

> I am doing my thesis with the topic: Procedure Formalized for the
> Incorporation of Usability Techniques in the Open Source Software
> Development Process.
>

> Based on the research I am doing I will propose improvements, although I am
> clear if these recommendations are or will not be considered by you the
> developers of the project. In any case as part of my thesis, I have to
> study the OPENOFFICE WRITER source code, please indicate how I identify the
> module that allows me to make improvements in the OPENOFFICE WRITER User
> Interface according to my needs.
>

> In this link (https://github.com/apache/openoffice) I downloaded all the
> source code of OPENOFFICE but I do not specifically locate what I have to
> do with WRITER. I ask you to tell me where to start and give me technical
> information such as, which is developed in C ++ and how should I compile it.
>

> I would appreciate your advice to continue my research.
>

> In the end I will share the results of my thesis.
>

> Eternally grateful
>
> Lucrecia

Re: OpenOffice Writer Source Code Study

Lucrecia Llerena-3
Dear
I enclose a letter dated June 2016 that I sent to Mr Hamilton to announce the start and development of my doctoral research in the OpenOffice Writer Project.
Regards
Lucrecia

[...]

carta para Dennis_Ingles.odt (18K) Download Attachment