OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

Through a publication by Heise:
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Stadt-Barcelona-setzt-auf-Open-Source-und-Linux-3944797.html
I hear that the city of Barcelona wants to migrate to OpenSource (e. g. OpenOffice).

(the original Spanish article based on the above article is here: https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/12/01/catalunya/1512145439_132556.html)

I would like to ask all Spanish community members to pay attention to this event and, especially those who offer professional services to OpenOffice, to help make this migration a success.

Of course, I also address this request to all of us, but in practice it will be those who live in Spain who can have a decisive influence on this.
Perhaps it is also possible to pass on (positive and negative) experiences of the German LiMux project (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux) to Barcelona.
I myself worked for many years on the LiMux project for OpenOffice. org, but my handicap is: my English is rather bad and I don't speak Spanish. However, I will draw the attention of a former college colleague in Spain to the interest of Barcelona to migrate to OpenSource.

Jörg

Re: OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

FR web forum
As I said in this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201801.mbox/%3C14249123.236052615.1516028654326.JavaMail.root%40zimbra60-e10.priv.proxad.net%3E
Barcelona will certainely choose Ubuntu as distro.
Ubuntu does not embed OpenOffice.

> I hear that the city of Barcelona wants to migrate to OpenSource (e.
> g. OpenOffice).
>
> (the original Spanish article based on the above article is here:
> https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/12/01/catalunya/1512145439_132556.html)
>
> I would like to ask all Spanish community members to pay attention to
> this event and, especially those who offer professional services to
> OpenOffice, to help make this migration a success.
>
> Of course, I also address this request to all of us, but in practice
> it will be those who live in Spain who can have a decisive influence
> on this.
> Perhaps it is also possible to pass on (positive and negative)
> experiences of the German LiMux project
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux) to Barcelona.
> I myself worked for many years on the LiMux project for OpenOffice.
> org, but my handicap is: my English is rather bad and I don't speak
> Spanish. However, I will draw the attention of a former college
> colleague in Spain to the interest of Barcelona to migrate to
> OpenSource.
>

> Jörg

> .mbox/%3C14249123.236052615.1516028654326.JavaMail.root%40zimb
> ra60-e10.priv.proxad.net%3E
> Barcelona will certainely choose Ubuntu as distro.
> Ubuntu does not embed OpenOffice.

Interesting, but imho currently only a statement of https://www.theinquirer.net/ - not a statement of the city of Barcelona.

In addition, _the experience of the LiMux project includes both OO and LO_, and the experts who provide professional support for migrations usually support both programs in the same way.

Jörg

Re: OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

Jörg Schmidt-2

I just received a personal email telling me that Catalan is spoken in Barcelona.

Therefore, the following note:
my reference to the Spanish languages was _not_ meant as a political statement.

(I am aware of the current political situation in Catalonia, but I am only an outside observer of this situation and I was not aware of the (possible) need to distinguish between the Spanish and Catalan language.)

Jörg

Re: OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

apacheoffice
The official European Union website
(https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/public-money-public-code)
mentions LibreOffice as the only option explicitly.

Barcelona is not yet governed from Brussels!

Re: OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

Peter Kovacs-3
Linux.com quotes the newspaper el pais, and there I could find only open office. So we can say we do not know.

I do not think it matters what newspapers sing from the roofs.
However what matters is what we do.
How about creating a business mailing List.
It is like a user list only with business focus.
We would need someone to moderate the list.
Focus for moderators are
# to keep the list on business focus
# to coach managers how open source works
# to organize business cooperation.
# bring service providers and business stakeholders together (local or not)

I think this makes sense. And would bring business together.

A mission would also be to reduce backports in companies. I think there no value in this. If an update has impediments we should work on those so companies can move to the latest version without fears.

What do you think? / any volunteers?

All the best
Peter

Am 19. Januar 2018 14:59:12 MEZ schrieb "Jörg Schmidt" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

yes, I think that's the right wording.

> I do not think it matters what newspapers sing from the roofs.
> However what matters is what we do.
> How about creating a business mailing List.
> It is like a user list only with business focus.
> We would need someone to moderate the list.
> Focus for moderators are
> # to keep the list on business focus
> # to coach managers how open source works
> # to organize business cooperation.
> # bring service providers and business stakeholders together
> (local or not)
>
> I think this makes sense. And would bring business together.
>
> A mission would also be to reduce backports in companies. I
> think there no value in this. If an update has impediments we
> should work on those so companies can move to the latest
> version without fears.
>
> What do you think?

I'm afraid such a list would have few subscribers, because a mailing list is not the technically best way to address business stakeholders.

Why am I saying this?
There was a business list at de-OOo (yes, I mean .org) and it was used very little.

The reason for this is (in my opinion) that people who are sufficiently familiar with mailing lists will also be able to find their way around the project so that they will be able to ask questions directly to specific people, because whoever has business inquiries has no time for discussion on a mailing list.

> any volunteers?

yes, for the German-speaking countries and in a slightly different way I have already planned this.

in a nutshell:
Recently, Günter became a committer (SVN-ID "guenterf") and I am currently helping Günter to learn how to work with the Apache CMS.
As soon as Günter is familiar with the CMS we want to discuss which de-websites, in which order, should be updated.
One of the urgently needed update pages will be:
https://www.openoffice.org/de/dev/ansprechpartner.html

and I hope that I can convince Michael to be a general contact person, then I would take care of business questions. (I will then also take care of updating the following pages permanently:
www.openoffice.org/de/marketing/referenzkunden.html and www.openoffice.org/de/marketing/stories/index.html)

(Note:
In the past,"Ansprechpartner" was a concrete position in the de-OOo-Project, for the future, "Ansprechpartner" should only be a word for the activity. The activity will practically consist of helping the enquirer directly.)

Jörg

Re: OpenOffice in the future in the public administration of Barcelona(?)

Peter Kovacs-2
I like the idea. It is a good step.

But I thought of less of an information point, or a discussion channel as such.

Maybe I try a different  approach. I have followed the Munich discussion as closely as I could afford. I even searched for recorded talks from their developers.
My impression is that Munich spend money for a team that solved their Problems, then donated the code to the community.
However the cost were dependant on their needs. They did not move with the general updates, so there was always a gap between them and the community. And the Gap was rising over time. Which means higher costs. To upgrade to the community version instead of update their code was also not easy I guess, due the modifications they made to their base.
At least that would explain a lot of what Munich politicians said.

I would like to try the other way round. Bring "stakeholders" together that have common interests, then bring them together with service providers as a team. Get them develop their needs directly.

We as apache Project remain neutral, but provide a framework to cooperate and develop on.
We are only the platform the whole thing operates on.
From my perspective this is the DNA Apache builds on.

I think the idea could work on user level too.
However the more people negotiate the harder it is to get a commitment to a common goal. However I may have an idea where this might work too.
There is a bug quite specific and interest to a certain group. I did not find the time however to write a mail and ask if one user would be interested in organizing.
With experience we could also start Working on more controversy topics.

So far for the vision. Please keep in mind that this is only the rough idea. There are lots of questions answered and stuff organized to make this work.

If you have questions or remarks like I dont like it please write them. I want to read your opinion .

All the best
Peter