OpenOffice on NintendoDS

David Lopez-3
Hello.

I am a Open Office user since many years ago, as well as a NintendoDS since more or less one year ago.

I thought wether could it be interesting to start developing a new port for NintendoDS? Or maybe is it needless since you can install linux on it and open office on linux?

Please, I would like you to help me with these questions, and, if you think it is a good idea, I would like to start developing a new port for NintendoDS, although this would be something new to me, as I have never been on an Open Source Development project before. However, I am a Computing Engineer and think it should not be hard to me to get acquainted with working methods and language.

Best regards.

Re: OpenOffice on NintendoDS

Caolán McNamara
On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 00:13 +0000, David Lopez wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I thought wether could it be interesting to start developing a new port
>  for NintendoDS? Or maybe is it needless since you can install linux on
>  it and open office on linux?

Reading http://dslinux.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/DSLinuxFAQ it initially
looks promising for running OpenOffice.org under DSLinux as the DS has
an ARM processor and OOo is ported to Linux ARM. But apparently there's
no MMU on a DS and either 4MB or 32MB of RAM which makes it all very
limited i.e. "for graphical apps it's improbable due to memory
constraints." and the DSLinux GUI seems to be PIXIL which I'm unfamiliar
with, so all in all it doesn't look very promising to fit OOo onto it.

C.