OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

Stephen Bosch
I am probably misinterpreting something or doing something wrong.

When I want to remove the elements from a master slide in Impress, I get

"This function cannot be run with the selected objects"

All I want to do is make a master slide that has some background
graphics on it. I don't need the other frames (the title, page content,
etc.) Is there any way for me to remove these?

Thanks,

Stephen Bosch

Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

Dan Lewis-6
On Monday 05 December 2005 07:06 pm, Stephen Bosch wrote:

> I am probably misinterpreting something or doing something wrong.
>
> When I want to remove the elements from a master slide in Impress, I get
>
> "This function cannot be run with the selected objects"
>
> All I want to do is make a master slide that has some background
> graphics on it. I don't need the other frames (the title, page content,
> etc.) Is there any way for me to remove these?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Bosch

View > Master > Master Slide will allow you to modify the master slide. When
you are finished with making your changes, make sure you do this:
View > Normal. Then the master slide is protected again.
     To remove the frames or other objects on a particular slide, click the
part you want to remove to highlight it (creates a border of eight little
green squares). Then use the delete key.
     I have a slide presentation on my web site that may help you:
http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odt. To download this file,
right-click this link and select "save link target as" or something similar
to this. Once you have saved it to your hard drive, open it with OOo 2.0. I
am fairly certain both these questions have answers in this slide show.

Dan

Dan Lewis wrote:

> On Monday 05 December 2005 07:06 pm, Stephen Bosch wrote:
>
>>I am probably misinterpreting something or doing something wrong.
>>
>>When I want to remove the elements from a master slide in Impress, I get
>>
>>"This function cannot be run with the selected objects"
>>
>>All I want to do is make a master slide that has some background
>>graphics on it. I don't need the other frames (the title, page content,
>>etc.) Is there any way for me to remove these?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Stephen Bosch
>

> View > Master > Master Slide will allow you to modify the master slide. When
> you are finished with making your changes, make sure you do this:
> View > Normal. Then the master slide is protected again.
>      To remove the frames or other objects on a particular slide, click the
> part you want to remove to highlight it (creates a border of eight little
> green squares). Then use the delete key.

Ah, but this is exactly what I have done. That's when I get the error
message. Impress will not let me remove the objects that are on my
master slide.

I think something else is going on here. Any suggestions?

-Stephen-

Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

Matej Cepl-2
Dan Lewis wrote:
>      I have a slide presentation on my web site that may help you:
> http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odt. To download this file,
> right-click this link and select "save link target as" or something
> similar to this. Once you have saved it to your hard drive, open it with
> OOo 2.0. I am fairly certain both these questions have answers in this
> slide show.

I got 404 -- not found -- on above URL.

Matej

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

[W]hat country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
warned from time to time that [the] people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms...The tree of liberty must be
refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and
tyrants.
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787

Re: Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

Dan Lewis-6
On Monday 05 December 2005 08:54 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Dan Lewis wrote:
> >      I have a slide presentation on my web site that may help you:
> > http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odt. To download this
> > file, right-click this link and select "save link target as" or something
> > similar to this. Once you have saved it to your hard drive, open it with
> > OOo 2.0. I am fairly certain both these questions have answers in this
> > slide show.
>
> I got 404 -- not found -- on above URL.
>
> Matej

A 404 report is what you get when I use a "t" instead of a "p". One more try:
http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odp.
    Sorry, as I try to hide my very red face.

Dan

On Monday 05 December 2005 08:52 pm, Stephen Bosch wrote:

> Dan Lewis wrote:
> > On Monday 05 December 2005 07:06 pm, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> >>I am probably misinterpreting something or doing something wrong.
> >>
> >>When I want to remove the elements from a master slide in Impress, I get
> >>
> >>"This function cannot be run with the selected objects"
> >>
> >>All I want to do is make a master slide that has some background
> >>graphics on it. I don't need the other frames (the title, page content,
> >>etc.) Is there any way for me to remove these?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Stephen Bosch
> >
> > View > Master > Master Slide will allow you to modify the master slide.
> > When you are finished with making your changes, make sure you do this:
> > View > Normal. Then the master slide is protected again.
> >      To remove the frames or other objects on a particular slide, click
> > the part you want to remove to highlight it (creates a border of eight
> > little green squares). Then use the delete key.
>
> Ah, but this is exactly what I have done. That's when I get the error
> message. Impress will not let me remove the objects that are on my
> master slide.
>
> I think something else is going on here. Any suggestions?
>
> -Stephen-
      Saying you did exactly what I did does not help me any. What
specifically did you do?
      I'm not sure that I was as clear as I should have been. There are two
different things that I mentioned in my previous email.

1) To make changes on the master slide, click View, select Master from its
menu, and then select Master Slide from the Master menu. (View > Master >
Master Slide) Modification can then be made to master slide. This is done in
the Workspace area in the center of the OOo Impress window.

2) To modify an individual slide, you can delete frames and objects that are
part of the particular layout format that you chose from the Layout section
of the Task pane. HOWEVER, you can NOT remove anything that is contained in
the master slide this way.

Again, I suggest you download this slide presentation:
http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odp. Remember to right-click
this link and select "save link target as". It has some good information on
how to create a slide show.

Dan

Dan Lewis wrote:
>       Saying you did exactly what I did does not help me any. What
> specifically did you do?

Here's what I have been doing.

1. Click "View" menu; Select "Master"; Select "Slide Master"
2. The "Master View" toolbar appears and the slide master appears in the
workspace. The slide master contains a number of frames containing text
such as "Click to edit the title text format" or "Click to edit the
outline text format".
3. I select one of these frames.
4. I press the delete key. A dialog box appears that reads:
"This function cannot be run with the selected objects". The frame does
not go away.
5. I try to resize the frame and drag it off the slide. That works but I
still have the unwanted frame in the workspace. At least half the time
the frame returns to its original position when I click on a different
master slide and go back to my original master slide.

This is either a bug, or there is something else I am doing wrong -- but
I'm definitely editing the master slide. It's just not doing what it's
supposed to.

-stephen-

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 12:32 am, Stephen Bosch wrote:

> Dan Lewis wrote:
> >       Saying you did exactly what I did does not help me any. What
> > specifically did you do?
>
> Here's what I have been doing.
>
> 1. Click "View" menu; Select "Master"; Select "Slide Master"
> 2. The "Master View" toolbar appears and the slide master appears in the
> workspace. The slide master contains a number of frames containing text
> such as "Click to edit the title text format" or "Click to edit the
> outline text format".
> 3. I select one of these frames.
> 4. I press the delete key. A dialog box appears that reads:
> "This function cannot be run with the selected objects". The frame does
> not go away.
> 5. I try to resize the frame and drag it off the slide. That works but I
> still have the unwanted frame in the workspace. At least half the time
> the frame returns to its original position when I click on a different
> master slide and go back to my original master slide.
>
> This is either a bug, or there is something else I am doing wrong -- but
> I'm definitely editing the master slide. It's just not doing what it's
> supposed to.
>
> -stephen-

     What you want to do has nothing to do with any of the master slides. The
things you want to eliminate are parts of the layout formating. This can only
be done when View > Normal is checked.
     There are two ways to do this.
1) Click the slide in Layouts that most closely matches what you want. Click a
part that you do not want to highlight it. Use the Delete key to remove it.
Repeat this for each part you do not want.
2) Use the Default in Layouts and add the parts you do want. (I do not know of
a way to create a new Layout slide that has only the formating you want.)
     I will again repeat: you need to download the slide show at this URL:
http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odp. It describes how to create
a slide show.

Dan

Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

Steven Cox
Dan,

Thanks for the link... I'll be using it and the others on your ooo page.

Steve Cox

Dan Lewis wrote:

> On Monday 05 December 2005 08:52 pm, Stephen Bosch wrote:
>
>> Dan Lewis wrote:

>>> View > Master > Master Slide will allow you to modify the master slide.
>>> When you are finished with making your changes, make sure you do this:
>>> View > Normal. Then the master slide is protected again.
>>>      To remove the frames or other objects on a particular slide, click
>>> the part you want to remove to highlight it (creates a border of eight
>>> little green squares). Then use the delete key.
>>>
>> Ah, but this is exactly what I have done. That's when I get the error
>> message. Impress will not let me remove the objects that are on my
>> master slide.
>>
>> I think something else is going on here. Any suggestions?
>>
>> -Stephen-
>>
>       Saying you did exactly what I did does not help me any. What
> specifically did you do?
>       I'm not sure that I was as clear as I should have been. There are two
> different things that I mentioned in my previous email.
>
> 1) To make changes on the master slide, click View, select Master from its
> menu, and then select Master Slide from the Master menu. (View > Master >
> Master Slide) Modification can then be made to master slide. This is done in
> the Workspace area in the center of the OOo Impress window.
>
> 2) To modify an individual slide, you can delete frames and objects that are
> part of the particular layout format that you chose from the Layout section
> of the Task pane. HOWEVER, you can NOT remove anything that is contained in
> the master slide this way.
>
> Again, I suggest you download this slide presentation:
> http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odp. Remember to right-click
> this link and select "save link target as". It has some good information on
> how to create a slide show.
>
> Dan

Re: OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress master slides

Steven Cox
I get the same results. Even on the Simple Presentation.odp.

Steven Cox

Dan Lewis wrote:
>      What you want to do has nothing to do with any of the master slides. The
> things you want to eliminate are parts of the layout formating. This can only
> be done when View > Normal is checked.

The frames I am trying to remove appear in the master slide even when a
blank layout has been selected. Moreover, the frames only appear when I
am viewing the master slide. (The frames are not visible when I am
Normal view.)

I have a feeling we're talking past each other here.

>      There are two ways to do this.
> 1) Click the slide in Layouts that most closely matches what you want. Click a
> part that you do not want to highlight it. Use the Delete key to remove it.
> Repeat this for each part you do not want.
> 2) Use the Default in Layouts and add the parts you do want. (I do not know of
> a way to create a new Layout slide that has only the formating you want.)

That is another problem I'm trying to resolve. What if I want different
layouts?

>      I will again repeat: you need to download the slide show at this URL:
> http://www.delewis.com/OOo/Simple_Presentation.odp. It describes how to create
> a slide show.

Thanks for your efforts. I did view your presentation and it's great
that you put it together -- it's still not clear why my master slides
have to have these frames in them.

Let's say for a moment that they cannot be removed, because they are
"virtual" frames which define permanent styles in the presentation
(which cannot be removed either). It would be nice if one could make
them invisible while viewing the master slide. Why? Say I want to put
background graphics in the slide so that they appear on all the slides
using that master. If I have these frames in the way, it clutters up the
 display. If I don't need the "autolayout" elements in question, why
can't I get rid of them?

Nobody has yet explained:

What are these frames for?
How do I change them (move them, reposition them, etc)?
How do I remove them?
How do I save my changes to the template?

-Stephen-

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 11:41 am, Stephen Bosch wrote:

> Dan Lewis wrote:
> >      What you want to do has nothing to do with any of the master slides.
> > The things you want to eliminate are parts of the layout formating. This
> > can only be done when View > Normal is checked.
>
> The frames I am trying to remove appear in the master slide even when a
> blank layout has been selected. Moreover, the frames only appear when I
> am viewing the master slide. (The frames are not visible when I am
> Normal view.)
>
> I have a feeling we're talking past each other here.
>
> >      There are two ways to do this.
> > 1) Click the slide in Layouts that most closely matches what you want.
> > Click a part that you do not want to highlight it. Use the Delete key to
> > remove it. Repeat this for each part you do not want.
> > 2) Use the Default in Layouts and add the parts you do want. (I do not
> > know of a way to create a new Layout slide that has only the formating
> > you want.)
>
> That is another problem I'm trying to resolve. What if I want different
> layouts?
>
> >      I will again repeat: you need to download the slide show at this
> > to create a slide show.
>
> Thanks for your efforts. I did view your presentation and it's great
> that you put it together -- it's still not clear why my master slides
> have to have these frames in them.
>
> Let's say for a moment that they cannot be removed, because they are
> "virtual" frames which define permanent styles in the presentation
> (which cannot be removed either). It would be nice if one could make
> them invisible while viewing the master slide. Why? Say I want to put
> background graphics in the slide so that they appear on all the slides
> using that master. If I have these frames in the way, it clutters up the
>  display. If I don't need the "autolayout" elements in question, why
> can't I get rid of them?
>
> Nobody has yet explained:
>
> What are these frames for?
> How do I change them (move them, reposition them, etc)?
> How do I remove them?
> How do I save my changes to the template?
>
> -Stephen-

    I think we have been talking past each other as you put it. Could you
please create a 3 or 4 slide presentation showing what your problems are?
Please do so and sent it directly to me off list.

Dan