OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

12

OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Erwin Tenhumberg
Hi all,

Here is a first draft of the rules for the OpenOffice.org developer
article contest that I introduced a few days/weeks ago. Please take
a look a the rules and provide feedback!

As you can see below, I'd like to start the contest on February 1.

Thanks a lot and all the best,
Erwin

OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules

What are the main goals of the contest?
=======================================
The goal of the contest is to generate more developer documentation,
and to promote OpenOffice.org to developers at the same time.

What is the task of the contest?
================================
Developers are asked to write articles about developer topics like
porting, addon and filter development (e.g. new wizards, Calc
functions, chart types, etc.), bug fixing, etc.

What can be won?
================
Each winner gets $750. (In what way/format???)

What criteria do article have to meet to get accepted?
[hidden email] (does not exist yet!) on or before the
submission deadline date. Only content that has been created
AFTER the start date of the contest can be submitted, e.g.
old articles and blog entries can be used.

What criteria will be used to choose a winner?
There will be no 100% scientific and measurable criteria. Instead,
the selection committee will choose a winner based on their
preferences. Nevertheless, the following criteria will influence
the chances of winning:

* relevance to developers
* existing and urgent gaps
* "cool stuff"
* amount of sample code
* comprehensibility
* length (not too long, not too short)
* illustrations (screenshots, diagrams)
* enables new developers
* etc. etc. etc.

What will be done with the articles?
====================================
Every month a committee will pick the best article from the pool of
articles. Articles which did not win initially, will stay in the pool,
so that they can still win in subsequent months.

For reference purposes ALL articles will get published on the
OpenOffice.org website under the PDL and the JCA. In addition, the
articles will be published in the OpenOffice.org Wiki, so that more
developers can build upon existing content. Nevertheless, authors
will still be allowed to use the article content somewhere else, e.g.
for a magazine, book or personal web site.

Who can participate?
====================
Everybody who is not a member of the selection committee can
participate in the contest. If someone wins in one period he/she has
to stay out of the contest for the following three periods.

Who is running the contest?
===========================
OpenOffice.org with the support of Team OpenOffice.org e.V. and
extra sponsorship from Sun Microsystems are running the Developer
Article Contest.

Who is in the selection committee?
==================================
The selection committee consists of at least 10 and no more
than 15 people. Initially, the following people will be in the
selection committee:

* Jürgen Schmidt
* Stephan Bergmann
* Andreas Schlüns
* Carsten Driesner
* Pavel Janík
* Kurt Cagle
* Kay Ramme
* Michael Meeks
* Charles-H. Schulz
* Stefan Taxhet
* Erwin Tenhumberg

Someone who has won the contest cannot win in the contest again
for the following three periods. However, the winner can, if he/she
is willing to, become a member of the selection committee for
three periods.

When will the contest start?
============================
The contest will start on February 1, 2006. The first submission
deadline is February 28.

When will the contest end?
==========================
The contest will at least run for six months. Depending on the
success, it might get extended to twelve months.

How often will a winner be selected?
====================================
A winner will be selected for every month. The announcement
of the winner will happen in the second half of the month for
the previous month. For example, the first contest period
will start on February 1 and end on February 28 (the submission
deadline). The winner for February will be announced after
March 15, but before April 1.

When is the deadline for every contest period?

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Cor Nouws
Hi Erwin,

Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:

[...]

> submission deadline date. Only content that has been created
> AFTER the start date of the contest can be submitted, e.g.
> old articles and blog entries can be used.

Seems not correct to me.

No further comments. Only that it looks good and promising!

Succes,
Cor

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Stefan Taxhet (sonews)

Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:

> What can be won?
> ================
> Each winner gets $750. (In what way/format???)
Preferably PayPal; bank transfer otherwise.

> What criteria do article have to meet to get accepted?
> [hidden email] (does not exist yet!) on or before the
> submission deadline date.
The article has to be sent in an editable format (OpenDocument prefered,
html possible?) as attachment (or directly to the wiki?).

> Only content that has been created
> AFTER the start date of the contest can be submitted, e.g.
> old articles and blog entries can be used.
old articles and blog entries can *not* be used

Greetings
Stefan

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Stefan Taxhet (sonews)

I forgot to ask where the home of information about the contest (the
rules) will be?

http://development.openoffice.org/articlecontest.html or
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/ArticleContest

Greetings
Stefan (who prefers the latter)

Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is a first draft of the rules for the OpenOffice.org developer
> article contest that I introduced a few days/weeks ago. Please take
> a look a the rules and provide feedback!
[snip]

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Juergen Schmidt-3
Stefan Taxhet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
>
>> What can be won?
>> ================
>> Each winner gets $750. (In what way/format???)
> Preferably PayPal; bank transfer otherwise.
>
>> What criteria do article have to meet to get accepted?
>> [hidden email] (does not exist yet!) on or before the
>> submission deadline date.
> The article has to be sent in an editable format (OpenDocument prefered,
> html possible?) as attachment (or directly to the wiki?).

i wouldn't put in the wiki directly because the wiki can be changed from
anybody else after submission. I would prefer OpenDocument only, every
other format can be created later.

Juergen

>> Only content that has been created
>> AFTER the start date of the contest can be submitted, e.g.
>> old articles and blog entries can be used.
> old articles and blog entries can *not* be used
>

> Greetings
> Stefan

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Laurent Godard-3
Hi

>> The article has to be sent in an editable format (OpenDocument
>> prefered, html possible?) as attachment (or directly to the wiki?).
>

> i wouldn't put in the wiki directly because the wiki can be changed from
> anybody else after submission. I would prefer OpenDocument only, every
> other format can be created later.

+1

what is voting/decision procedure ?
what about when egality ? secound turn ? the oldest article ?

Btw, this project seems growing the right way. Thanks erwin :) (and
sponsors ;) )

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Kurt Cagle-2
I'd second that - ODF format - Any graphics that are used will be embedded
into the resource, and can be extracted if the article is converted into
HTML. It also makes it a little easier to automate processing if we make the
ODF requirement.

Kurt Cagle
http://www.understandingxml.com

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Kurt Cagle-2
Hmmm... thought of something else. This will give one article a month during
the contest period. If we have more quality work after that period, what
happens to those articles that didn't win?

-- Kurt

Kurt Cagle
http://www.understandingxml.com

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Andrew Brown-4
Erwin Tenhumberg <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> A submitted article has to have at least 2000 words (about two pages
> of text) excluding embedded source code snippets and screenshots.

2000 words is a _lot_ more than two pages of text. I write word counted
articles for a living, and two thousand words is about five pages, using
single spaced text with a 12pt gap between paragraphs.

> Only articles written in English can be accepted. However, teams
> can submit articles together, so that one developer can create the
> content and someone else can translate it to English.
> Submissions have to be sent to the mailing list
> [hidden email] (does not exist yet!) on or before the
> submission deadline date. Only content that has been created
> AFTER the start date of the contest can be submitted, e.g.
> old articles and blog entries can be used.

The last sentence should surely read "Only Content that has been created
after the start date of the contest can be submitted , i.e. old articles
and blog entries cannot be used."

As a general point, what sort of developers are you targetting? The kind
of thing that might encourage an experience C++ developer to work on
openoffice rather than, I don't know, mozilla, is surely very different
to the kind of thing that might encourage a scientist to write a small
useful calc add-on in python.

I'm sure we should encourage both, but it might help the quality of
sbmissions of people know what to aim at.

--
Andrew Brown
The email in the header does not work.

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Jacqueline McNally
Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
[...]

> What criteria do article have to meet to get accepted?
> [hidden email] (does not exist yet!) on or before the
> submission deadline date. Only content that has been created
> AFTER the start date of the contest can be submitted, e.g.
> old articles and blog entries can be used.

s/can be/cannot be

> What will be done with the articles?
> ====================================
> Every month a committee will pick the best article from the pool of
> articles. Articles which did not win initially, will stay in the pool,
> so that they can still win in subsequent months.
>
> For reference purposes ALL articles will get published on the
> OpenOffice.org website under the PDL and the JCA. In addition, the
> articles will be published in the OpenOffice.org Wiki, so that more
> developers can build upon existing content. Nevertheless, authors
> will still be allowed to use the article content somewhere else, e.g.
> for a magazine, book or personal web site.
[...]

Is the above saying that the article submitted for the competition is to
be accompanied by a JCA and PDL? If so, may need to state this more
clearly as a requisite for entering the competion with links to JCA and PDL.

Also, may wish to look at the author guidelines for some journals that
will accept submitted articles with the view to using them this way too.
Note: Some publications accept articles that have not yet been published
(as in this competition), and some need to fit with the the published
editorial calendar.

For example:
Dr Dobbs Journal: http://www.ddj.com/ddj/authors.htm
Software Development: http://www.sdmagazine.com/sdonline/guide.htm
C/C++ Users Journal: http://www.cuj.com/corner/guidelines.htm

The above are all from the same media group. But have a look at the
journal or magazine that you like to read and consider their guidelines
that may put entrants in good stead for the competition.

Regards
Jacqueline

CharacterProperties

Mauricio Palazzi
Hi,

        Newbie question... How I can get an object
com.sun.star.style.CharacterProperties out of a TextPortion object ? I
see that XPropertySet provides me a superset of properties but I'd like
to have only the CharacterProperties.

Thx all,

mauricio

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Ian Laurenson
My apologies for not making comments sooner.

Some time ago I was asked if I would be willing to be one of the judges
for this competition and said "yes" without really thinking about the
ramifications of the competition.

A prize can be an incentive to encourage people but if not carefully
thought through can also be a disincentive.

My concerns are as follows:

 * Old articles not being included could disappoint people that have
worked long and hard on the project.

 * By requiring it to be a separate article is actively discouraging
people from using the more collaborative approach of the wiki.

 * Possibly the focus on documentation is too narrow.

My preference would be to have a site where people could be nominated
and voted on by registered OOo people for services rendered to the OOo
community.

As areas are identified by the community council as needing more input
the prize for that month could be targeted to being for a particular
type of service to the community.

Thanks, Ian

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Laurent Godard-3
Hi Ian

thanks for your inputs
here are my personal feelings regarding your questions/remarks

>  * Old articles not being included could disappoint people that have
> worked long and hard on the project.

the purpose is to create NEW documentation to enrich OOo and attract
newcommers
It is not set to reward old people IIRC
anf if they are devoted to OOo they
1. don't care being rewarded by this new way
2. will write a new articles(ssss) to play the challenge :)

>  * By requiring it to be a separate article is actively discouraging
> people from using the more collaborative approach of the wiki.

they can use it for writing the article
the final format is only a way of rendering

> My preference would be to have a site where people could be nominated
> and voted on by registered OOo people for services rendered to the OOo
> community.

hum, do not especially agree ...

> As areas are identified by the community council as needing more input
> the prize for that month could be targeted to being for a particular
> type of service to the community.

one way could be a yearly prize of the "best" article among the past
winners of the year. do not think that even make sense

again thanks

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com
Nuxeo CPS >> http://www.nuxeo.com - http://www.cps-project.org
Livre "Programmation OpenOffice.org", Eyrolles 2004

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Erwin Tenhumberg
> what is voting/decision procedure ?
> what about when egality ? secound turn ? the oldest article ?

Do you have any suggestions what we should do?

If yes, feel free to add them to the following Wiki page yourself:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Developer_Article_Contest

Cheers,
Erwin

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi Erwin,

Erwin Tenhumberg a écrit :
>> what is voting/decision procedure ?
>> what about when egality ? secound turn ? the oldest article ?
>
> Do you have any suggestions what we should do?
>
> If yes, feel free to add them to the following Wiki page yourself:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Developer_Article_Contest

To my mind, you should precise which timezone will be used as a
reference for people sending their articles before midnight in their
country the last day...

Cedric

OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - Second Draft

Erwin Tenhumberg
Hi all,

The second draft of the developer contest rules can be found at:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Developer_Article_Contest

The final version of the rules will be "locked down", but feel free
to use the Wiki to get changes to the rules implemented.

Cheers,
Erwin

Erwin Tenhumberg wrote:
>> what is voting/decision procedure ?
>> what about when egality ? secound turn ? the oldest article ?
>
> Do you have any suggestions what we should do?

don't make it too complicate. We talk about documentation and committee
who will read all submissions and will select the winner. I am sure that
the committee will find a winner when we will have such a situation.

Juergen

> If yes, feel free to add them to the following Wiki page yourself:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org_Developer_Article_Contest
>

> Cheers,
> Erwin

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Laurent Godard-3
Hi Jurgen

>> Do you have any suggestions what we should do?
>
> don't make it too complicate. We talk about documentation and committee
> who will read all submissions and will select the winner. I am sure that
> the committee will find a winner when we will have such a situation.

the rules have to be clear, before starting
as soon as there is money involved some people can become quite aggressive

I would say
- each voter votes for an only article
- the article that has the most votes wins
- if egality, the oldest regarding the submission date wins
- the votes are reseted each session

Laurent
--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com
Nuxeo CPS >> http://www.nuxeo.com - http://www.cps-project.org
Livre "Programmation OpenOffice.org", Eyrolles 2004

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

stephan.bergmann
Laurent Godard wrote:

> Hi Jurgen
>
>>> Do you have any suggestions what we should do?
>>

>> don't make it too complicate. We talk about documentation and
>> committee who will read all submissions and will select the winner. I
>> am sure that the committee will find a winner when we will have such a
>> situation.
>>

> the rules have to be clear, before starting
> as soon as there is money involved some people can become quite aggressive
>
> I would say
> - each voter votes for an only article
> - the article that has the most votes wins
> - if egality, the oldest regarding the submission date wins

and if they are submitted at exactly the same time?  ;)

> - the votes are reseted each session
>
> Laurent

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest Rules - First Draft

Laurent Godard-3
Hi stephan

>> I would say
>> - each voter votes for an only article
>> - the article that has the most votes wins
>> - if egality, the oldest regarding the submission date wins
>
> and if they are submitted at exactly the same time?  ;)

is it really possible regarding server capabilities ?
reading the archives, would say it is in the same second !!!

well, if in the same time (unprobable imho), a second turn with only
these two articles

Laurent