OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Erwin Tenhumberg
Dear OpenOffice.org developers,

OpenOffice.org with the support of Team OpenOffice.org e.V. and extra
sponsorship from Sun Microsystems would like to run a Developer
Article Contest. The goal of the contest would be to generate more
developer documentation, and to promote OpenOffice.org to developers
at the same time.

As part of the contest, developers would be asked to write articles
about developer topics like porting, addon and filter development
(e.g. new wizards, Calc functions, chart types, etc.), bug fixing, etc.
Every month a committee would pick the best article from the pool of
articles. Articles which did not win initially, will stay in the pool,
so that they can still win in subsequent months.

ALL articles would get published on the OpenOffice.org website
under the PDL and the JCA, but authors will still be allowed to use
the article content somewhere else, e.g. for a magazine or book.
Each winner gets $750. The contest will at least run for six months.
Depending on the success, it might get extended to twelve months.
A submitted article has to have at least 2000 words (about two pages
of text) excluding embedded source code snippets and screenshots.

I'd like to start the contest as soon as possible.
Therefore, I'm looking for volunteers who would be willing to
help defining the contest rules in more detail. I'm also looking
for volunteers for the selection committee as well as people who
can help publishing the articles on the OpenOffice.org website.

The majority of the selection committee members should have a
developer background in order to ensure that the article content
actually makes sense and that the content is useful to actual
developers. Non-developers can judge the contest submissions based
on the "coolness" and uniqueness of the idea.

The sooner we get the team in  place the earlier we can get started
with the contest. Please let me know if you are interested in
supporting this contest! A few project leads already expressed their
interest to help, but I need a few more people.

Thanks a lot and all the best,
Erwin

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Laurent Godard-3
HI Erwin

> I'd like to start the contest as soon as possible.
> Therefore, I'm looking for volunteers who would be willing to
> help defining the contest rules in more detail. I'm also looking
> for volunteers for the selection committee as well as people who
> can help publishing the articles on the OpenOffice.org website.

This sounds a good idea
I would like to write an article, so I can not be in the comitee :(

Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
replacing the oldest

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Rail Aliev
On 18:46, Sat 07.01.06, Laurent Godard wrote:
>Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
>A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
>replacing the oldest

Great idea IMO!

--
Best regards,
Rail Aliev

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Andrew Brown-4
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> wrote in news:43BFFE6C.6050400
@indesko.com:

> This sounds a good idea
> I would like to write an article, so I can not be in the comitee :(
>
> Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
> A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
> replacing the oldest

That sounds like a good idea, too.

What about some of the blog pieces which already provide pretty good
tutorials? I'm thinking of Robert Vojta's articles on writing components in
Python, which have already been published, but wider circulation and lots o
money. They certainly taught me all I know about writing python components
(short form: copy and past from his examples)

--
Andrew Brown
The email in the header does not work.

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Charles-H. Schulz
Rail Aliev wrote:

>> Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
>> A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
>> replacing the oldest
>
> Great idea IMO!

Yup! I think we should also make sure to publicize the winner -and maybe
the second best article- all over the net. This would allow us to have
some nice PR campaign and also draw potential developpers to us, wether
they want to write an article or get started with the code at once.
Best,
Charles.

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Kazunari Hirano
Erwin Tenhumberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A submitted article has to have at least 2000 words (about two pages
> of text) excluding embedded source code snippets and screenshots.
And should be written in English, right?
;)
OK, let me see if there are developers in ja community who are
interested in the contest :)
Thanks,
khirano

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Cédric Bosdonnat
Hi Erwin and Laurent,

Laurent Godard a écrit :

>> I'd like to start the contest as soon as possible.
>> Therefore, I'm looking for volunteers who would be willing to
>> help defining the contest rules in more detail. I'm also looking
>> for volunteers for the selection committee as well as people who
>> can help publishing the articles on the OpenOffice.org website.
>
> This sounds a good idea
> I would like to write an article, so I can not be in the comitee :(

I'm interested in this contest too...

> Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
> A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
> replacing the oldest

This could be really nice

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Kurt Cagle-2
> > A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
> > replacing the oldest
>
> This could be really nice

But only if the author so chooses. Most will, of course, its a nice bit of
resume filler, but the option should be there.

-- Kurt

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Edvaldo Jr.
If I am permited to speak, I should say that a winner
should stay out of the contest for at least 3
sessions, even if not a comitee member by his own
option. This would increase fair play.

Edvaldo

--- Kurt Cagle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3
> sessions
> > > replacing the oldest
> >
> > This could be really nice
>

> But only if the author so chooses. Most will, of
> course, its a nice bit of
> resume filler, but the option should be there.
>
> -- Kurt

Edvaldo Silva de Almeida Júnior

Celular: (81) 9153-2155

Software Livre & Código Aberto
Combatendo os monopólios

Re: Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Juergen Schmidt-3
Andrew Brown wrote:

> Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> wrote in news:43BFFE6C.6050400
> @indesko.com:
>

>>This sounds a good idea
>>I would like to write an article, so I can not be in the comitee :(
>>
>>Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
>>A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
>>replacing the oldest

i don't think that this would be a good idea.

> That sounds like a good idea, too.
>
> What about some of the blog pieces which already provide pretty good
> tutorials? I'm thinking of Robert Vojta's articles on writing components in
> Python, which have already been published, but wider circulation and lots o
> money. They certainly taught me all I know about writing python components
> (short form: copy and past from his examples)

It's not intended to award older existing documentation. We want to
offer an incentive for people to start writing developer documentation.
People who have already written some documentation can write of course
new documentation and then they have the chance to win ;-)

Juergen

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Laurent Godard-3
Hi

> If I am permited to speak, I should say that a winner
> should stay out of the contest for at least 3
> sessions, even if not a comitee member by his own
> option. This would increase fair play.

i agree, but we have to be sure to have enough artcile ;)

enrolling him in the comitee for the next 3 sessions let take this
automatically as he can not contest whene being judge

IMHO, this enrollment should not be optional
If someone has skills towrite an article, he should have skills to
decide for the comming sessions

Laurent
--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com
Nuxeo CPS >> http://www.nuxeo.com - http://www.cps-project.org
Livre "Programmation OpenOffice.org", Eyrolles 2004

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Edvaldo Jr.
> i agree, but we have to be sure to have enough
> artcile ;)
>
> enrolling him in the comitee for the next 3 sessions
> let take this
> automatically as he can not contest whene being
> judge
>
> IMHO, this enrollment should not be optional
> If someone has skills towrite an article, he should
> have skills to
> decide for the comming sessions

Yeah, I suggested this condition because one of the
posts suggested this condition (of a comitee member)
to be optional. I strongly agree with you when you say
a skilled writer would surely be a skilled judge. And
I'm sure the contest will receive many articles.

Edvaldo Silva de Almeida Júnior

Celular: (81) 9153-2155

Software Livre & Código Aberto
Combatendo os monopólios

Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Erwin Tenhumberg
Thanks a lot to everybody for the great input so far!!!

I will wait a few more days for people to respond and then
I will try to summarize the various ideas into a more
specific set of contest rules.

Cheers,
Erwin

Edvaldo Jr. wrote:

>>i agree, but we have to be sure to have enough
>>artcile ;)
>>
>>enrolling him in the comitee for the next 3 sessions
>>let take this
>>automatically as he can not contest whene being
>>judge
>>
>>IMHO, this enrollment should not be optional
>>If someone has skills towrite an article, he should
>>have skills to
>>decide for the comming sessions
>>

> Yeah, I suggested this condition because one of the
> posts suggested this condition (of a comitee member)
> to be optional. I strongly agree with you when you say
> a skilled writer would surely be a skilled judge. And
> I'm sure the contest will receive many articles.
>

> Edvaldo Silva de Almeida Júnior

> Celular: (81) 9153-2155
>
> Software Livre & Código Aberto
> Combatendo os monopólios

Re: Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Laurent Godard-3
Hi Jurgen

>>> Btw, here is a suggestion for the commitee
>>> A winner is automaticxally in the comitee for 3 sessions
>>> replacing the oldest
>

> i don't think that this would be a good idea.

why ? do i miss something ?
obviously, they would not be the only judges
they would be complementary to established judges

> It's not intended to award older existing documentation. We want to
> offer an incentive for people to start writing developer documentation.
> People who have already written some documentation can write of course
> new documentation and then they have the chance to win ;-)

+1

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com
Nuxeo CPS >> http://www.nuxeo.com - http://www.cps-project.org
Livre "Programmation OpenOffice.org", Eyrolles 2004

Re: Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Andrew Pitonyak
Laurent Godard wrote:

> Hi Jurgen

>> i don't think that this would be a good idea.
>
> why ? do i miss something ?

What if I won and I did NOT want to be a judge?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm

Re: Re: OpenOffice.org Developer Article Contest

Edvaldo Jr.
I think this would be in the contest rules.

--- Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Laurent Godard wrote:
>
> > Hi Jurgen

> sessions
> >>>
> >> i don't think that this would be a good idea.
> >
> > why ? do i miss something ?
>
> What if I won and I did NOT want to be a judge?
>
> --
> Andrew Pitonyak
> My Macro Document:
> http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt
> My Book:
> http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm
> Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
> See Also:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/index.html

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> [hidden email]

Edvaldo Silva de Almeida Júnior

Celular: (81) 9153-2155

Software Livre & Código Aberto
Combatendo os monopólios

Combine XIndexAccess

Tobias Hildebrandt

maybe anybody is able to help me with this: I have two XIndexAcces
elements, A and B, and need to combine them to a XIndexacces  element C,
that means that C should contain all elements from A and B, in this order.
I have now idea how this could work.
I tried to get the cellRanges from A and B in a CellRangearray (in my
example the output of .findAll() on a calc - document is stored in
XIndexAccess A and B)
and cast this Cellarray into XIndexAccess C, but it is not working.

Thanks in advance!!!