OpenOffice support for AIX

Sumik Basu
 Hi Team,

 For our project purpose we need to run OpenOffice in AIX environment.
 Please let us know is there any support for OpenOffice in AIX platform.

Thanks & Regards
 Sumik Basu
 IBM India Pvt Ltd, DLF IT Park, Kolkata
 Ph- +919836653111(M) . +91 33 233 97008(Extn)
 Email- [hidden email]

Re: OpenOffice support for AIX

Michael Stahl-3
hi Sumik,

On 26/03/2010 10:58, Sumik Basu wrote:
>  Hi Team,
>
>  For our project purpose we need to run OpenOffice in AIX environment.
>  Please let us know is there any support for OpenOffice in AIX platform.

from the content of your message and the lack of replies it looks like you
just volunteered to port OOo to AIX  :)

there are actually various references to AIX in the code base:

http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/Current%20(trunk)/tools/inc/tools/solar.h#312

here the platform UNXAIXP is defined, which is presumably AIX on PPC, with
X11.

so at one time someone was working on a port.
but probably that was a very long time ago, maybe even in the nineties.

i guess if you really want to do a port, it may be a good idea to use GCC
as the C++ compiler instead of whatever half-baked C++ implementation IBM
ships, because the reasonable working assumption is that all C++
implementations are broken, which implies that GCC is broken in some ways
too, but the current OOo code base is already adapted to the ways in which
GCC 4.x is broken, which is not true for the IBM compiler.
(iirc the lone maintainer of our OS/2 port also chose to use GCC instead
of the IBM compiler; presumably for good reasons)

regards,
 michael

--
"And now the budget’s balanced
 Retrenchment is the hero

Re: OpenOffice support for AIX

JeffStromberg
We  are working on a port of OpenOffice to AIX at the moment. I was wondering if anyone knew of other people that are also working on this. It's been quite a bit of effort so far but we are making progress. We would be happy to work with some others to speed the work up if possible.

Michael Stahl-3 wrote
hi Sumik,

On 26/03/2010 10:58, Sumik Basu wrote:
>  Hi Team,
>
>  For our project purpose we need to run OpenOffice in AIX environment.
>  Please let us know is there any support for OpenOffice in AIX platform.

from the content of your message and the lack of replies it looks like you
just volunteered to port OOo to AIX  :)

there are actually various references to AIX in the code base:

http://svn.services.openoffice.org/opengrok/xref/Current%20(trunk)/tools/inc/tools/solar.h#312

here the platform UNXAIXP is defined, which is presumably AIX on PPC, with
X11.

so at one time someone was working on a port.
but probably that was a very long time ago, maybe even in the nineties.

i guess if you really want to do a port, it may be a good idea to use GCC
as the C++ compiler instead of whatever half-baked C++ implementation IBM
ships, because the reasonable working assumption is that all C++
implementations are broken, which implies that GCC is broken in some ways
too, but the current OOo code base is already adapted to the ways in which
GCC 4.x is broken, which is not true for the IBM compiler.
(iirc the lone maintainer of our OS/2 port also chose to use GCC instead
of the IBM compiler; presumably for good reasons)

regards,
 michael

--
"And now the budget’s balanced
 Retrenchment is the hero
 On either side is entered
 A solitary Zero" -- Laurie Tarshis, "The Elements of Economics"

Re: OpenOffice support for AIX

Caolán McNamara
On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 08:10 -0700, JeffStromberg wrote:
> We  are working on a port of OpenOffice to AIX at the moment. I was wondering
> if anyone knew of other people that are also working on this. It's been
> quite a bit of effort so far but we are making progress. We would be happy
> to work with some others to speed the work up if possible.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Lazy_Hackers_Guide_To_Porting
Might help you out.

The hard part is the uno bridge itself. I haven't a clue about the AIX
ABI to know if, assuming you use gcc, if you'd be able to directly use
the gcc3_linux_powerpc64 bridge or if a custom one is needed.

C.

Re: OpenOffice support for AIX

Jason Cwik
Caolán McNamara wrote

The hard part is the uno bridge itself. I haven't a clue about the AIX
ABI to know if, assuming you use gcc, if you'd be able to directly use
the gcc3_linux_powerpc64 bridge or if a custom one is needed.
I'm going to start with the basic assumption that gcc uses the same ppc calling convention on AIX as Linux (maybe wrong, but...).  One question: on Linux, is the gcc4 ABI the same as gcc3?  I was going to use gcc 4.4.4 for the port (I've noticed that gcc4.2.0 that IBM provides crashes on some of the C++ code and 4.5.0 is flat out not supported by ooo32M12).

also, is there a ppc32 bridge for linux or just ppc64?  I started out with IBM's gcc (ppc32) and would have to start over to move to ppc64...

Re: OpenOffice support for AIX

Rene Engelhard-7
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 01:16:24PM -0700, Jason Cwik wrote:
> Linux, is the gcc4 ABI the same as gcc3?  I was going to use gcc 4.4.4 for

What OOo concerns mostly yes. (Though not in all details, but distros
handle that)

> the port (I've noticed that gcc4.2.0 that IBM provides crashes on some of
> the C++ code and 4.5.0 is flat out not supported by ooo32M12).

Well, the patch for 4.5 is easy.

> also, is there a ppc32 bridge for linux or just ppc64?  I started out with
> IBM's gcc (ppc32) and would have to start over to move to ppc64...

I think it supports both in the meanwhile, but the bridge initially
*of course* was done for ppc32 - so yes, ppc32 is there.

Grüße/Regards,

René

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 13:16 -0700, Jason Cwik wrote:

> Caolán McNamara wrote:
> >

> > The hard part is the uno bridge itself. I haven't a clue about the AIX
> > ABI to know if, assuming you use gcc, if you'd be able to directly use
> > the gcc3_linux_powerpc64 bridge or if a custom one is needed.
> >

> I'm going to start with the basic assumption that gcc uses the same ppc
> calling convention on AIX as Linux (maybe wrong, but...).  One question: on
> Linux, is the gcc4 ABI the same as gcc3?  I was going to use gcc 4.4.4 for
> the port (I've noticed that gcc4.2.0 that IBM provides crashes on some of
> the C++ code and 4.5.0 is flat out not supported by ooo32M12).

The calling conventions should be the same for gcc 3.X.Y through to
current gcc 4.5.0, they don't typically change. And that's basically all
that matters for the bridges, so any gcc really should be fine in terms
of the uno bridges themselves. For the general compiler support needed
to build the complete OOo, the gcc 4.5 series requires a trivial fix
which is available as
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/cws/sb126/rev/e7381920688b

> also, is there a ppc32 bridge for linux or just ppc64?  I started out with
> IBM's gcc (ppc32) and would have to start over to move to ppc64...

Yes, they are both in there. See bridges/source/cpp_uno/ where there is
both gcc3_linux_powerpc (32bit) and gcc3_linux_powerpc64 (64bit) and
gcc3_macosx_powerpc (32bit)

In this context don't let "gcc3" faze you, gcc3 is any gcc >= 3, gcc
4.X.Y is fine.

Quickly digging around I see ...

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.aix.aixassem/doc/alangref/alangref.pdf

See "Register Usage and Conventions" on page 65

and some notes on calling conventions etc. at
http://wall.riscom.net/books/proc/ppc/cwg/a_abi.html
and http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-ppc/

the upshot seems to be that "ppc32 Linux and NetBSD implementations use
the SVR4 (System V R4) ABI, but ppc64 Linux follows AIX and uses the
PowerOpen ABI" with suggestions that darwin adheres to the 32bit AIX
abi, so maybe after all the AIX-abi-derived darwin "gcc3_macosx_powerpc"
bridge might actually be closer to what you need than the linux ones.

If I was you I'd see if you would get away with tweaking the
bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_macosx_powerpc/makefile.mk to accept your
platform in there as well, and even if that doesn't work its likely a
good basis for what you need.

Another resource that might help is libffi and search for AIX specific
stuff in it

C.

Thanks!  I'll start there.  If there's anyone out there reading this who would like to help with the port, please contact me; I'd love some assistance with the effort.

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 10:19 -0700, Jason Cwik wrote:
> Thanks!  I'll start there.  If there's anyone out there reading this who
> would like to help with the port, please contact me; I'd love some
> assistance with the effort.

Is there any AIX developer accounts available anywhere. e.g. IBM does a
Linux on s390x program which people can get accounts on, is there
anything like that for AIX ?

C.