OpenOffice use

Teena Powell
I have not been able to download OpenOffice from the internet. I do not
know what burning a CD means. It would be nice to order a CD-ROM with
OpenOffice on the CD

RE: OpenOffice use

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

And what is the concrete problem?

You can download Apache OpenOffice here, by first selecting operating system, language and version and then clicking on "Download full installation":
http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

> I do not
> know what burning a CD means.

In what context?

If you (above mentioned download) execute the above mentioned download, you will receive (for MS Windows) a *.exe (e.g. Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Win_x86_install_en.exe), which you can unpack and burn on CD. Then you can start setup.exe from the CD.
But you don't need all this, you can use drekt Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Win_x86_install_en.exe to install.

> It would be nice to order a CD-ROM with
> OpenOffice on the CD

In Germany you can get CDs with Apache OpenOffice in electronics stores, for example here(*):
https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_openoffice-4-1-6-standard-vollversion-1-lizenz-2518028.html

or, on request, at the ProOO-Box (honorary, by community members):
http://prooo-box.org/

or at CD/DVD mail order companies, e.g (*):
https://www.robbicom.de/?cat=c3_Office-Office.html

All these offers are in German, I don't know anything about international/English speaking sources for AOO CDs.

greetings,
Jörg

(*)
Sorry for the advertising, I think just a look at the practice is informative.

Re: OpenOffice use

F Campos Costero
I have no reason to doubt the quality of the CD sources mentioned by Jörg
but I would avoid CDs available from English speaking sources unless you
have independent evidence that they are not packed with malware.
Downloading from
 http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html is the best source.
regards,
Francis

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:15 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,

RE: OpenOffice use

Jörg Schmidt-2

I can't estimate this exactly, but the risk also exists with German OpenOffice CD.
For example, we regularly warn about https://www.openoffice.de/ because this is a purely commercial CD with add-ware, about which users complain again and again, because they feel deceived, because they mistakenly believe that openoffice.de is a website of the official OpenOffice project.

> Downloading from
>  http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html is the best source.
> regards,

yes, that's right

for clarification the following:
For www.prooo-box.org I can guarantee 100%, because I personally help there on a voluntary basis. (i am ASF-Committer, id: joesch)
The ProOO-Box is also listed in the third party distributions: https://www.openoffice.org/porting/

and a small wish as well:
As project members and experts for OpenOffice we should also have the courage to make recommendations.
That's what my 2 other links (mediamarkt.de and robbicom.de) were meant in this sense, also because I think it's right to mention those who help us by spreading OpenOffice in a serious way.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: OpenOffice use

Marcus (OOo)
Forwarding to the answers as the user is not subscribed to this mailing
list.