OpenOffice vs MS Office

-ortiz~
Love the OpenOffice product... Is there anything similar to this in
development:
http://www.microsoft.com/online/business-productivity.aspx#

Something to compete with Microsoft... Their licensing is all over the place
and not multi-device friendly. Any help in this area would be of great value
to the rest of the world that is going mobile and multi-device crazy.
Microsoft is just not keeping up with the technology trend in this arena...
Never would have thought that would be the case.

Gustavo David Ortiz
786.261.3000
Arts Consultant
www.artsguru.org

Re: OpenOffice vs MS Office

Zaphod Feeblejocks
Hi Ortiz,

OpenOffice is primarily a desktop application, similar to MS Office.

However, products such as Google Docs and Google Mail may give you the 'cloud'
functionality suggested here.  Google Docs supports the Open Document Format, as
usedby OpenOffice.  There is an OO plugin (I have not used it) which links OpenOffice to
Google Docs, here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/ooo2gd

In addition, the LibreOffice fork of OpenOffice has the backing of Google.  LibreOffice may
incorporate native support for Google Docs in the future.  As LibreOffice remains open
source, this functionality may be incorporated into the main OpenOffice.org project.  This is
merely speculation on my part - while I use and test both products, I do not make
development decisions.

Best wishes to you and yours for Christmas and 2011.

zf