PDF forms controls

Craig Russell-2
Hi,

I'm using Writer to create PDF forms and I'm having some trouble with the text boxes.

You can see here the document I'm working on [1] and [2]

1. I open the pdf document in Apple Safari. When the cursor is in the name form field, the word "emeritus" is highlighted in blue. I'd like for the word "name" to be highlighted.

When the user tabs out of the name field to the id field, the text "emeritus" is still in blue. I'd like the text "id" to be highlighted in blue instead.

I have not been able to find anything in the form control box that allows me to change this. How can I do this? (I could not find any answers in online forums, perhaps because I'm using the wrong terminology)

2. How can I automatically position the cursor in the name field when the document is opened?

3. The behavior is different if I open the document in Apple Preview. Is it possible to have the same behavior regardless of which tool opens the document?

Thanks,

Craig

[1]

[2]

Craig L Russell

emeritus-request.odt (42K) Download Attachment

Re: PDF forms controls

Craig Russell-2
Here is a link to a different document with the same issue.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.pdf

When opening the document with Safari, Preview, Firefox, or Chrome, the cursor is not positioned in any of the input fields. With Safari, when clicking inside a field, there is a regular text word highlighted in blue. With Preview, no highlighting. With Chrome, no highlighting. With Firefox, no highlighting.

Can anyone give me the right terminology for the highlighted blue box associated with the input fields? Is this just a Safari feature?

Thanks,

Craig

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 4:34 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Writer to create PDF forms and I'm having some trouble with the text boxes.
>
> You can see here the document I'm working on [1] and [2]
>
> 1. I open the pdf document in Apple Safari. When the cursor is in the name form field, the word "emeritus" is highlighted in blue. I'd like for the word "name" to be highlighted.
>
> When the user tabs out of the name field to the id field, the text "emeritus" is still in blue. I'd like the text "id" to be highlighted in blue instead.
>
> I have not been able to find anything in the form control box that allows me to change this. How can I do this? (I could not find any answers in online forums, perhaps because I'm using the wrong terminology)
>
> 2. How can I automatically position the cursor in the name field when the document is opened?
>
> 3. The behavior is different if I open the document in Apple Preview. Is it possible to have the same behavior regardless of which tool opens the document?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> [1]
> <emeritus-request.odt>
>
> [2]
>
> <emeritus-request.pdf>
> Craig L Russell
> [hidden email]

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: PDF forms controls

Martin Groenescheij

On 16/03/18 2:05 AM, Craig Russell wrote:
> Here is a link to a different document with the same issue.
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.pdf
>
> When opening the document with Safari, Preview, Firefox, or Chrome, the cursor is not positioned in any of the input fields. With Safari, when clicking inside a field, there is a regular text word highlighted in blue. With Preview, no highlighting. With Chrome, no highlighting. With Firefox, no highlighting.
>
> Can anyone give me the right terminology for the highlighted blue box associated with the input fields? Is this just a Safari feature?

Both documents works fine on my Windows PC using Acrobat Reader and
Foxit PDF
It even works fine on my iPad using Acrobat and Foxit Mobile.

> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
>> On Mar 14, 2018, at 4:34 PM, Craig Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Writer to create PDF forms and I'm having some trouble with the text boxes.
>>
>> You can see here the document I'm working on [1] and [2]
>>
>> 1. I open the pdf document in Apple Safari. When the cursor is in the name form field, the word "emeritus" is highlighted in blue. I'd like for the word "name" to be highlighted.
>>
>> When the user tabs out of the name field to the id field, the text "emeritus" is still in blue. I'd like the text "id" to be highlighted in blue instead.
>>
>> I have not been able to find anything in the form control box that allows me to change this. How can I do this? (I could not find any answers in online forums, perhaps because I'm using the wrong terminology)
>>
>> 2. How can I automatically position the cursor in the name field when the document is opened?
>>
>> 3. The behavior is different if I open the document in Apple Preview. Is it possible to have the same behavior regardless of which tool opens the document?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> [1]
>> <emeritus-request.odt>
>>
>> [2]
>>
>> <emeritus-request.pdf>
>> Craig L Russell
>> [hidden email]
>>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: PDF forms controls

Craig Russell-2
Hi Martin,

> On Mar 15, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 16/03/18 2:05 AM, Craig Russell wrote:
>> Here is a link to a different document with the same issue.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.pdf
>>
>> When opening the document with Safari, Preview, Firefox, or Chrome, the cursor is not positioned in any of the input fields. With Safari, when clicking inside a field, there is a regular text word highlighted in blue. With Preview, no highlighting. With Chrome, no highlighting. With Firefox, no highlighting.
>>
>> Can anyone give me the right terminology for the highlighted blue box associated with the input fields? Is this just a Safari feature?
>
> Both documents works fine on my Windows PC using Acrobat Reader and Foxit PDF
> It even works fine on my iPad using Acrobat and Foxit Mobile.

Yes, the documents "work". I'm looking for the ability to

1. Have the cursor positioned in the first entry field when opening the document

2. Have control over the word or phrase in the document that is highlighted when the cursor is in a specific field.

Thanks,

Craig

On 16/03/18 2:26 PM, Craig Russell wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
>> On Mar 15, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 16/03/18 2:05 AM, Craig Russell wrote:
>>> Here is a link to a different document with the same issue.
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.pdf
>>>
>>> When opening the document with Safari, Preview, Firefox, or Chrome, the cursor is not positioned in any of the input fields. With Safari, when clicking inside a field, there is a regular text word highlighted in blue. With Preview, no highlighting. With Chrome, no highlighting. With Firefox, no highlighting.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me the right terminology for the highlighted blue box associated with the input fields? Is this just a Safari feature?
>> Both documents works fine on my Windows PC using Acrobat Reader and Foxit PDF
>> It even works fine on my iPad using Acrobat and Foxit Mobile.
> Yes, the documents "work". I'm looking for the ability to
>
> 1. Have the cursor positioned in the first entry field when opening the document

The first time you press the Tab key it moves to the first entry field,
that said this doesn't mean the the first entry field
is the same as the first field in the document. Tab order is maintained
with the Form properties select the triple dots
at the right side of the General tab where you can move up and down the
fields.

> 2. Have control over the word or phrase in the document that is highlighted when the cursor is in a specific field.

If there is text in a box pressing the Tab key will highlight all text
in that box. So you're not in control, but the PDF software.

Note that when you enter Help text in the Form properties it will
display this text in the PDF field when you hover over your mouse.

> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Craig

>>> Craig L Russell
>>> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
>>> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: PDF forms controls

Dave Fisher
Hi Craig,

It has been 20 years since I generated Acrobat Forms. I did it with Postscript and Distiller (or what is now Ghostscript).

Two thoughts.

(1) Try dev@openoffice where the developer of the pdf feature might be hanging out - IIRC.

(2) Try dev@pdfbox where someone may know how to help you find this at the “cos” level. You might need the pdf reference manual.

Also there is no guarantee that all PDF viewers fully implement every attribute in the Forms / Ecmascript.

(Or contact me offline tomorrow and we’ll see if I can find out what’s up.)

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone