PDF import

genio.70@libero.it
Hi,
my name is Stasi Roberto.
I am using OpenOffice 4.  I did try to download the extension for opening and modify a PDF document but there is no explanations about how to run and use such zipped files.
If I use the Toos menu to try to add Add-ons or to manage Add-ons such extension is not found.  I have unzipped the files into a special folder already.  The pop-up box does not have any option to find the files necessary to load it in.  I have selected the aoo-pdf-import.uno.dll as well which is the only file I am able to load without errors. It does not work. When I open up the draw application of OpenOffice then the PDF document will result in garbled fonts. I have also attempted to use different ASCII characters choosing each and every type of code presented into the scroll down window. The result is the same.
I have attempted to run the file XPDFIMPORT.exe from a command line but nothings happen. Running it from the Windows GUI nothing happens.

Regards,
Roberto

Re: PDF import

Andrea Pescetti-2
[hidden email] wrote:
> I am using OpenOffice 4.  I did try to download the extension for
> opening and modify a PDF document but there is no explanations about
> how to run and use such zipped files.

Make sure you are using the version for OpenOffice 4.x (from the
filenames you quote, you are already using it).

You will download a .oxt file; internally it's a .zip file but you
should NOT expand it (if your browser does it for you, try with another
browser).

You can install the .oxt file from OpenOffice, File - Open. Once it is
installed, if you open a PDF file in Draw it will not display the ASCII
Filter dialog any longer.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: PDF import

Dave Barton-6
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, my name is Stasi Roberto. I am using OpenOffice 4.  I did try to
> download the extension for opening and modify a PDF document but
> there is no explanations about how to run and use such zipped files.
> If I use the Toos menu to try to add Add-ons or to manage Add-ons
> such extension is not found.  I have unzipped the files into a
> special folder already.  The pop-up box does not have any option to
> find the files necessary to load it in.  I have selected the
> aoo-pdf-import.uno.dll as well which is the only file I am able to
> load without errors. It does not work. When I open up the draw
> application of OpenOffice then the PDF document will result in
> garbled fonts. I have also attempted to use different ASCII
> characters choosing each and every type of code presented into the
> scroll down window. The result is the same. I have attempted to run
> the file XPDFIMPORT.exe from a command line but nothings happen.
> Running it from the Windows GUI nothing happens.
>
> Regards, Roberto

Hi Roberto,

You have not said which OS (Operating System - eg. Linux, Mac, Solaris,
Windows, etc.) you are using, but an issue that some people experience
when using MS Windows Internet Explorer is that the file name extension
is changed from ".oxt" to ".zip". The solution is to rename the
downloaded file from oracle-pdfimport.zip to oracle-pdfimport.oxt and
use the Extension Manager to install.

A couple of tips:

o Questions such as this are best addressed to the "users" list:
[hidden email]

o Although your English is excellent, you might be interested to know
that there is an Italian user support list:
[hidden email]
and website:
http://www.openoffice.org/it/

Regards
Dave

Re: PDF import

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 03:32:42PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> >I am using OpenOffice 4.  I did try to download the extension for
> >opening and modify a PDF document but there is no explanations about
> >how to run and use such zipped files.
>
> Make sure you are using the version for OpenOffice 4.x (from the
> filenames you quote, you are already using it).

Not sure if he is using the one for AOO4 because he is mailing to this
list, as said in
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-pdf-import-extension

"To further improve this extension, please continue sending us feedback
at [hidden email]."

@Roberto: can you please remove this sentence from that page?
And please follow the advice from Bernard Marcelly in another thread:

"You can see an ambiguous phrase at top of the description : "If you are
using Apache OpenOffice 4.0, use this version." Few people will remark
that "this version" is a link to another extension, specific to Apache
OpenOffice."

Instead of "If you are using Apache OpenOffice 4.0, use this version.",
please put something more clear, like "If you are using Apache
OpenOffice 4.0, you *must* use *another* version." or something like
that.

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: PDF import

Andrea Pescetti-2
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 03:32:42PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Make sure you are using the version for OpenOffice 4.x (from the
>> filenames you quote, you are already using it).
> Not sure if he is using the one for AOO4

In this case he was. He was mentioning aoo-pdf-import.uno.dll which
should be in your version only. Anyway he answered me in private to say
this is solved.

> @Roberto: can you please remove this sentence from that page?
> And please follow the advice from Bernard Marcelly in another thread

I agree with both changes. They should be done indeed.

But actually the best solution, as discussed months ago, would be that
you, Ariel, just take over the existing extension page
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport and its extension
ID and publish your new version(s) there. I think everything was already
settled from the legal and technical point of view, so basically this is
up to you. For sure we would get rid of many support requests in mailing
lists/forums!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: PDF import

Roberto Galoppini-2
2014-01-25 Ariel Constenla-Haile <[hidden email]>

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 03:32:42PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > >I am using OpenOffice 4.  I did try to download the extension for
> > >opening and modify a PDF document but there is no explanations about
> > >how to run and use such zipped files.
> >
> > Make sure you are using the version for OpenOffice 4.x (from the
> > filenames you quote, you are already using it).
>
> Not sure if he is using the one for AOO4 because he is mailing to this
> list, as said in
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/oracle-pdf-import-extension
>
> "To further improve this extension, please continue sending us feedback
> at [hidden email]."
>
> @Roberto: can you please remove this sentence from that page?
> And please follow the advice from Bernard Marcelly in another thread:
>
> "You can see an ambiguous phrase at top of the description : "If you are
> using Apache OpenOffice 4.0, use this version." Few people will remark
> that "this version" is a link to another extension, specific to Apache
> OpenOffice."
>
> Instead of "If you are using Apache OpenOffice 4.0, use this version.",
> please put something more clear, like "If you are using Apache
> OpenOffice 4.0, you *must* use *another* version." or something like
> that.

Everything should be fine by now.

Roberto

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

Re: PDF import

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 08:55:26PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> I agree with both changes. They should be done indeed.
>
> But actually the best solution, as discussed months ago, would be
> that you, Ariel, just take over the existing extension page
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport and its
> extension ID and publish your new version(s) there.

That's not possible because both extensions have different identifiers,
and I guess there are still 3.* users out there; IMO it would be then
good to:

- add the extension ID to the black-list in
  /org.openoffice.Office.ExtensionDependencies/Extensions

- Provide an update of the Oracle PDF Extension with the only
  modification of the now missing <OpenOffice.org-maximal-version>

Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: PDF import

Andrea Pescetti-2
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> That's not possible because both extensions have different identifiers,
> and I guess there are still 3.* users out there; IMO it would be then
> good to:
> - add the extension ID to the black-list in
>    /org.openoffice.Office.ExtensionDependencies/Extensions
> - Provide an update of the Oracle PDF Extension with the only
>    modification of the now missing <OpenOffice.org-maximal-version>

Well, both approaches can coexist, with proper timing.

1) In a first phase, take care of the 3.x users; publish a minor update
that simply introduces the maximal version and at the same time make
sure to blacklist PDF Import in the 3.x->4.x profile migration starting
with OpenOffice 4.1. This is probably easy since (access privileges
aside) it is probably just unzipping, updating the description.xml file
and repackaging with no need to rebuild.

2) Then, after (say) one month, that would be helpful to 3.x users to
get the newer version, the 4.x version can be added to that page (this
would be your version, but rebuilt with a version number that is higher
than the version in step 1, and with the same identifiers used by PDF
Import).

Indeed it will never happen that a user can update PDF Import to the
4.x-compatible version without updating OpenOffice, so preserving the
Extension ID is not that important and can also be avoided. But offering
all 3.x and 4.x versions on the same page would be helpful to users.

Regards,
   Andrea.