PMC Chair

Patricia Shanahan
One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:

"Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"

Jim,

I don't know whether congratulation or commiseration is more
appropriate, so you get whichever you prefer from me.

Re: PMC Chair

Simon Phipps-4
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 21:48 Patricia Shanahan, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:
>
> "Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"
>
> Jim,
>
> I don't know whether congratulation or commiseration is more
> appropriate, so you get whichever you prefer from me.

Likewise!

I'm slightly surprised this was decided in September but only just became
public. Can the PMC comment please?

S.

Re: PMC Chair

Gavin McDonald-2
Hi,

Nothing is decided until the PMC votes, then that gets passed to the board for
approval in the form of a
resolution. That resolution was passed by the board less than 2 days ago, so
I think we are good here.

Gav...

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:48 AM Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 21:48 Patricia Shanahan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:
> >
> > "Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > I don't know whether congratulation or commiseration is more
> > appropriate, so you get whichever you prefer from me.
> >

> Likewise!
>
> I'm slightly surprised this was decided in September but only just became
> public. Can the PMC comment please?
>
> S.

Re: PMC Chair

Jim Jagielski
... what have I done?... <slowly shaking head and whimpering> :-)

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 4:47 PM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:
>
> "Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"
>
> Jim,
>
> I don't know whether congratulation or commiseration is more appropriate, so you get whichever you prefer from me.

Re: PMC Chair

Peter Kovacs-3
Hello everybody,

I am not speaking for the PMC, but for myself and from my personal view.
I joined the Project in 2016. It has been my became Chairman in end of 2017. As unexperienced as I have been it was the best move for me to go into.
It have been an exiting and educating 2 year period as Chairman. Since the PMC has decided we want to change the chair on regular bases and often I fought for my availability until very late in this year.
But now I am relieved that I can relax a little from the mails.

 I announced early on private to give everyone on the PMC enough time to think his or her availability through. After all it is a free choice to stand up for this.

The Chairman is in my eyes a sort of envoy between
ASF and PMC. I would not make much of a Fuzz about the change. This is less important then the title implies.
I hope we can convince someone else to step up for 2021. Maybe again a fresh face from the none ASF Members on the PMC. That would be super cool.

I want to focus next year my time more on project building topics and on development. So this is not to be seen as a stepping down. I would title it more as a position shift. And I am very happy to know Jim will be on the watch @board. I have no doubts that Jim is a good choice.

I hope this extensive comment is helping everyone. If you have more I am happy to answer them here on @dev. Just have some patience since due to the shift I will maybe slower on answers.

Have fun
Peter

Am 22. November 2019 10:47:46 MEZ schrieb Simon Phipps <[hidden email]>:

>On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 21:48 Patricia Shanahan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:
>>
>> "Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I don't know whether congratulation or commiseration is more
>> appropriate, so you get whichever you prefer from me.
>>

>Likewise!
>
>I'm slightly surprised this was decided in September but only just
>became
>public. Can the PMC comment please?
>
>S.

Re: PMC Chair

Marcus (OOo)
Am 22.11.19 um 10:47 schrieb Simon Phipps:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 21:48 Patricia Shanahan, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:
>>
>> "Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"
>>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I don't know whether congratulation or commiseration is more
>> appropriate, so you get whichever you prefer from me.
>>

> Likewise!
>
> I'm slightly surprised this was decided in September but only just became
> public. Can the PMC comment please?

I'm a bit disappointed that you show up only when you have something to
criticize.

Can you comment please?

Marcus

Re: PMC Chair

Simon Phipps-4
Hi Peter - Thanks for the update and also for your service as PMC Chair all
this time! You definitely deserve a break!

(FWIW, I asked not as a criticism but because previous chair rotations were
discussed here (as far as I remember!) and I wondered why this one was done
privately.)

Cheers,

Simon

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 4:50 PM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am not speaking for the PMC, but for myself and from my personal view.
> I joined the Project in 2016. It has been my became Chairman in end of
> 2017. As unexperienced as I have been it was the best move for me to go
> into.
> It have been an exiting and educating 2 year period as Chairman. Since the
> PMC has decided we want to change the chair on regular bases and often I
> fought for my availability until very late in this year.
> But now I am relieved that I can relax a little from the mails.
>
>  I announced early on private to give everyone on the PMC enough time to
> think his or her availability through. After all it is a free choice to
> stand up for this.
>
> The Chairman is in my eyes a sort of envoy between
> ASF and PMC. I would not make much of a Fuzz about the change. This is
> less important then the title implies.
> I hope we can convince someone else to step up for 2021. Maybe again a
> fresh face from the none ASF Members on the PMC. That would be super cool.
>
> I want to focus next year my time more on project building topics and on
> development. So this is not to be seen as a stepping down. I would title it
> more as a position shift. And I am very happy to know Jim will be on the
> watch @board. I have no doubts that Jim is a good choice.
>
> I hope this extensive comment is helping everyone. If you have more I am
> happy to answer them here on @dev. Just have some patience since due to the
> shift I will maybe slower on answers.
>

> Have fun
> Peter

Re: PMC Chair

Dave Fisher-3
Hi Simon,

I’ve noticed that you are now a PMC member of Apache NetBeans!

Congratulations!

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 22, 2019, at 2:30 PM, Simon Phipps <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter - Thanks for the update and also for your service as PMC Chair all
> this time! You definitely deserve a break!
>
> (FWIW, I asked not as a criticism but because previous chair rotations were
> discussed here (as far as I remember!) and I wondered why this one was done
> privately.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon
>
>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 4:50 PM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I am not speaking for the PMC, but for myself and from my personal view.
>> I joined the Project in 2016. It has been my became Chairman in end of
>> 2017. As unexperienced as I have been it was the best move for me to go
>> into.
>> It have been an exiting and educating 2 year period as Chairman. Since the
>> PMC has decided we want to change the chair on regular bases and often I
>> fought for my availability until very late in this year.
>> But now I am relieved that I can relax a little from the mails.
>>
>> I announced early on private to give everyone on the PMC enough time to
>> think his or her availability through. After all it is a free choice to
>> stand up for this.
>>
>> The Chairman is in my eyes a sort of envoy between
>> ASF and PMC. I would not make much of a Fuzz about the change. This is
>> less important then the title implies.
>> I hope we can convince someone else to step up for 2021. Maybe again a
>> fresh face from the none ASF Members on the PMC. That would be super cool.
>>
>> I want to focus next year my time more on project building topics and on
>> development. So this is not to be seen as a stepping down. I would title it
>> more as a position shift. And I am very happy to know Jim will be on the
>> watch @board. I have no doubts that Jim is a good choice.
>>
>> I hope this extensive comment is helping everyone. If you have more I am
>> happy to answer them here on @dev. Just have some patience since due to the
>> shift I will maybe slower on answers.
>>

>> Have fun
>> Peter

Re: PMC Chair

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2

Am 22.11.19 um 23:29 schrieb Simon Phipps:

> (FWIW, I asked not as a criticism but because previous chair rotations were
> discussed here (as far as I remember!) and I wondered why this one was done
> privately.)

If a person wants to have a break and only one person wants to do the
job, IMO discussions are needless and a waste of time and energy.

The person, who wants to do the job, has in addition a strong backing in
the PMC and in the community.

Kind regards
Michael

Re: PMC Chair

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 21/11/2019 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> One of the resolutions passed at the last board meeting was:
> "Change the Apache OpenOffice Project Chair (Jim Jagielski, VP)"

Congratulations, Jim!

Thank you Peter, and I perfectly understand your reasons for stepping
down after spending a second year as Chair.

And while at it... let me take the occasion to congratulate in public
with Dave Fisher for entering the ASF Board!

So it looks like OpenOffice and the ASF at large are going to be more
integrated in the next months; this will be a good occasion for filling
the small gaps that still exist between OpenOffice and Apache.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: PMC Chair

Jim Jagielski
I will assume that the question was asked in Good Faith and not a troll-attempt:

At the ASF, some PMCs do the voting for PMC chair on the public list and some do it on the private list. Only votes from the PMC members are considered "binding" but, if there are multiple candidates for the position, every PMC tends to factor in even non-binding votes. In this situation there was only 1 candidate/volunteer and therefore, any sort of "voting" was moot.

At the ASF, the PMC recommends the PMC chair, but it does not become official until the board approves the resolution at their monthly board meetings. So even if such a decision was made months ago (FTR, the decision was NOT made in September and I have no idea where you got that from; the decision/vote was done via an Email thread started on Nov 7th), it is not a done-deal, and thus suitable for public until the board approves it (imagine how embarrassing if, for some reason, the board decided to NOT approve the PMC recommendation).

I would hope that all ASF PMC members, whether AOO PMC members or, say, Netbeans PMC members, would know these basic facts...