Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Thomas A. Panfil
Hello AOO Users & Advisors,

For years I've routinely read reports from Open Office Users about
various problems.  Many are generally attributed to having shut down
one's computer too quickly, before shut down processes have been completed.

I've used OO and AOO for many years, both on Windows based computers and
on MacBook Pros.  I've never experienced *this* type of problem.  I
attribute that good fortune to three things:

  * Use of Uninterruptible Power Supplies with Desktop Computers.
  * Use of Laptop Computers which have immunity to power loss due to
    their internal batteries.
  * Very deliberate shut down processes:
      o Quit the Running Applications (at least all which involve my
        user data)
      o Log out of whatever LogIn Accounts have been in use (generally
        just one)
      o Shutdown the computer

I think that AC Power Failures which cause sudden shutdowns are the
cause of many AOO Problems.

Should the AOO Installation site STRONGLY recommend the use of
Uninterruptible power Supplies with non-laptop computers?

Users might be unhappy with paying for UPSes, but they are a small
expense relative to the pain of serious data loss and corruption of
profiles.

--
*v/r,
                Tom Panfil
**m-2015-mbp-15******general_user*******fm** *

Re: Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Steven Ahlers
Tom that’s an interesting idea. I would suggest an even more important concept, practice good computer hygiene: before you leave your computer save all documents, shut down all programs. Then if there is a power failure no problem. I would recommend clearing out browser memory (history, cookies, etc.) you can bookmark websites and use a password manager to easily return to websites on restart.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 14, 2020, at 11:35 AM, Tom Panfil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello AOO Users & Advisors,
>
> For years I've routinely read reports from Open Office Users about various problems.  Many are generally attributed to having shut down one's computer too quickly, before shut down processes have been completed.
>
> I've used OO and AOO for many years, both on Windows based computers and on MacBook Pros.  I've never experienced *this* type of problem.  I attribute that good fortune to three things:
>
> * Use of Uninterruptible Power Supplies with Desktop Computers.
> * Use of Laptop Computers which have immunity to power loss due to
>   their internal batteries.
> * Very deliberate shut down processes:
>     o Quit the Running Applications (at least all which involve my
>       user data)
>     o Log out of whatever LogIn Accounts have been in use (generally
>       just one)
>     o Shutdown the computer
>
> I think that AC Power Failures which cause sudden shutdowns are the cause of many AOO Problems.
>
> Should the AOO Installation site STRONGLY recommend the use of Uninterruptible power Supplies with non-laptop computers?
>
> Users might be unhappy with paying for UPSes, but they are a small expense relative to the pain of serious data loss and corruption of profiles.
>
> --
> *v/r,
>                Tom Panfil
>            eBureaucrat (Ret.)

Re: Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Dan Lewis
It is also important to save all documents on a regular basis. Tools >
Options > Load/Save > General has options that will you should consider
using. Just make sure to limit the number of minutes to 4 of 5.

Dan

On 7/14/20 15:45, Steven Ahlers wrote:

> Tom that’s an interesting idea. I would suggest an even more important concept, practice good computer hygiene: before you leave your computer save all documents, shut down all programs. Then if there is a power failure no problem. I would recommend clearing out browser memory (history, cookies, etc.) you can bookmark websites and use a password manager to easily return to websites on restart.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 14, 2020, at 11:35 AM, Tom Panfil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello AOO Users & Advisors,
>>
>> For years I've routinely read reports from Open Office Users about various problems.  Many are generally attributed to having shut down one's computer too quickly, before shut down processes have been completed.
>>
>> I've used OO and AOO for many years, both on Windows based computers and on MacBook Pros.  I've never experienced *this* type of problem.  I attribute that good fortune to three things:
>>
>> * Use of Uninterruptible Power Supplies with Desktop Computers.
>> * Use of Laptop Computers which have immunity to power loss due to
>>    their internal batteries.
>> * Very deliberate shut down processes:
>>      o Quit the Running Applications (at least all which involve my
>>        user data)
>>      o Log out of whatever LogIn Accounts have been in use (generally
>>        just one)
>>      o Shutdown the computer
>>
>> I think that AC Power Failures which cause sudden shutdowns are the cause of many AOO Problems.
>>
>> Should the AOO Installation site STRONGLY recommend the use of Uninterruptible power Supplies with non-laptop computers?
>>
>> Users might be unhappy with paying for UPSes, but they are a small expense relative to the pain of serious data loss and corruption of profiles.
>>
>> --
>> *v/r,
>>                 Tom Panfil
>>             eBureaucrat (Ret.)

Re: Saving documents (was: Perhaps UPSs should be used ...]

Brian Barker-2
At 16:56 14/07/2020 -0400, Dan Lewis wrote:
>It is also important to save all documents on a regular basis.

True.

>Tools > Options > Load/Save > General has options that will you
>should consider using. Just make sure to limit the number of minutes to 4 of 5.

Useful though this facility is, it is important that readers are not
misled by this suggestion. Like all sensible applications, OpenOffice
saves document files only when the user asks for this to happen -
using Save or Save As or by selecting Save from the options provided
when a modified document is closed without having been saved. This is
important, so that a user may choose, after a period of editing, to
abandon all changes and close the document or session without
modifying the original document.

The option at Tools | Options... | Load/Save | General | Save | Save
AutoRecovery information every ... Minutes has another purpose. If it
is ticked, information about the current editing session is salted
away regularly - but separately from the actual document file. This
information is deleted automatically if a session is terminated
normally. Its purpose is instead to deal with program or system
crashes or power outages. In these circumstances an offer is made,
when OpenOffice is next started, to recover editing changes made in
the aborted session as far as possible.

Brian Barker

Re: Saving documents (was: Perhaps UPSs should be used ...]

Alan Pearce-2
Thank you for  that clarification Brian. I have often wondered about what happens with autosave  and suspected that it was non permanent but wasn't sure.Alan Pearce

Re: Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Leon Zar
I believe it is even more important to configure the OO Preferences for
"Save AutoRecovery Information".  In all the years I've used OO, I've never
had a crash where OO was unable to recover up to, or very close to, the
point of failure.  Since I do have a UPS, the crashes I have experienced
are all due to failures of the OS or the application.  A UPS will not
protect you from these failures, but in my experience the recovery
information will.

Having said that, I imagine that it *may* be possible for a power outage
that occurs while OO is saving the recovery info to corrupt the recovery
info and prevent OO from restoring a file.  Not a likely event, but
something to consider.

My $0.02.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 8:29 AM Thomas A. Panfil <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >>      o Quit the Running Applications (at least all which involve my
> >>        user data)
> >>      o Log out of whatever LogIn Accounts have been in use (generally
> >>        just one)
> >>      o Shutdown the computer
> >>
> >> I think that AC Power Failures which cause sudden shutdowns are the
> cause of many AOO Problems.
> >>
> >> Should the AOO Installation site STRONGLY recommend the use of
> Uninterruptible power Supplies with non-laptop computers?
> >>
> >> Users might be unhappy with paying for UPSes, but they are a small
> expense relative to the pain of serious data loss and corruption of
> profiles.
> >>
> >> --
> >> *v/r,
> >>                 Tom Panfil
> >>             eBureaucrat (Ret.)

Re: Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Ron Tanguay
Leon,

Many thanks for this tip.  Reviewing my AutoRecovery setting, I noticed it was set to update every 15 minutes.  I have tightened that to every 5 minutes.  This may save me some real headaches in the event of a future crash.

Ron Tanguay

> [...]
>> save all documents, shut down all programs. Then if there is a power
>> failure no problem. I would recommend clearing out browser memory (history,
>> cookies, etc.) you can bookmark websites and use a password manager to
>> easily return to websites on restart.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> various problems.  Many are generally attributed to having shut down one's
>> computer too quickly, before shut down processes have been completed.

>> and on MacBook Pros.  I've never experienced *this* type of problem.  I
>> attribute that good fortune to three things:

>> cause of many AOO Problems.

>> Uninterruptible power Supplies with non-laptop computers?

>> expense relative to the pain of serious data loss and corruption of
>> profiles.

Re: Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Ron,

Something I neglected in my original response is frequent backups. In OSX there is a built in app, TimeMachine, that regularly (to whatever frequency you want) backs up files to external storage. I use an external 1 TB hard drive for frequent saves (15-30 minute intervals) then a cloud backup for less frequent (daily to weekly).

Sent from my iPhone